Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times

Advertisements

This whole thing is about a correlation regarding a statistic, not an epidemic. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have diagnosed clinical depression and/or breathing problems, see you doctor. One does not simply go fleeing for a richer atmosphere at lower altitude to prevent suicidal thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I'm considering a move to NM in the next couple of years, and am wondering if people have had any problems with the high elevations with regard to breathing. I've never lived at an elevation higher than 800 feet above sea level. A friend of mine who is now 80 had to leave ABQ due to breathing problems, and she is doing much better at sea level at Rockport near Corpus Christi. I'm early 60s, no problems but I want to think of the future.

Also, what about allergies? I have horrendous allergies in Austin. My neighbors moved to Santa Fe recently and their allergies there are just as bad as they were here.

Thanks for any info you can provide regarding experiences.
This is our experience, but remember everyone is different. When we fist visited Sante FE and ABQ hubby almost passed out a couple of times due to altitude,but he adjusted quickly when we moved there. He never really had any more problems, not even with alergies. My story is very different: we move to ABQ in 2001, we left in 2008 and I never adjusted to the altitude. The doctor said this isn't totally unusual. Some people for whatever reason can not handlet the 5000 plus heights. As for alergies, until I moved there I never had, what I would call a real alergy to anything. In AB! from late Feb until mid or late April I had a terrible time. That was the only time it bothered me. Here in AR I have some trouble year around, but nothing like those few months every year in ABQ. I looked like Hell and felt worse. I guess what I am saying: no one really can predict how you will react.

Joqua: sorry but your idea, healthy people will not be bothered by the altitude just doesn't hold water. I am very healthy except for just having a knee replacement. I did have problems,as I said the doctor said, in fact 2 said the same thing: not everyone can adjust the hight altitude.

ABQconvict: yes, I think the nosebleeds can be caused by the dry air: I am guessing the high altitude doesn't help,but the air would be more a cause.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-22-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM

170 posts, read 235,447 times
I hope it's ok to tack on my question in this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm very out of shape. I was literally a couch potato for several years with zero physical activity apart from the necessary things like walking the dog or grocery shopping. I am working on changing this but it's slow going. In the past I've experienced no issues with elevation but the last time I was at high elevation was right as I became a lazy couch potato. I realize everyone is different, but just how concerned should I be about the elevation, especially in those first few weeks?

To give an idea of how bad I was and still am, I used to get winded walking upstairs in my house. Now I don't, but if I do it immediately a second time, I'll get a tad bit winded. My doctor says I should be fine, but I would be moving as a single mother of a young infant so it's a huge concern for me as I wouldn't be able to perhaps sleep away the first few day while adjusting. Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I can do this sort of move, from San Antonio, anytime soon?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,941,275 times
Moving to a higher elevation seems to have made me more sensitive to changes in the barometric pressure. That's not something that gets mentioned very often.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
as a single mother of a young infant so it's a huge concern for me as I wouldn't be able to perhaps sleep away the first few day while adjusting. Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I can do this sort of move, from San Antonio, anytime soon?
It's hard for me to gauge how out of shape you are, but I adjusted to moving from sea level to 7,300ft by climbing mountains every day on my bicycle, up to 10,000ft. Was I winded and tired? Sure. But I didn't sleep any more. I don't think sleeping the day away would be necessary or advisable for anyone.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:14 PM

100 posts, read 284,522 times
Chasing a kid around is going to be harder. He/she won't notice but you will. However, chasing a kid around would be helpful.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
I hope it's ok to tack on my question in this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm very out of shape. I was literally a couch potato for several years with zero physical activity apart from the necessary things like walking the dog or grocery shopping. I am working on changing this but it's slow going. In the past I've experienced no issues with elevation but the last time I was at high elevation was right as I became a lazy couch potato. I realize everyone is different, but just how concerned should I be about the elevation, especially in those first few weeks?

To give an idea of how bad I was and still am, I used to get winded walking upstairs in my house. Now I don't, but if I do it immediately a second time, I'll get a tad bit winded. My doctor says I should be fine, but I would be moving as a single mother of a young infant so it's a huge concern for me as I wouldn't be able to perhaps sleep away the first few day while adjusting. Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I can do this sort of move, from San Antonio, anytime soon?
I spend several months at 8000 feet and the rest of the year at sea level. When I was younger and chasing toddlers, the altitude bothered one for the first week. It was usually only noticeable if I over did it or didn't hydrate. If I ran up and down the stairs unpacking a zillion things, I would often get a headache. If I dashed up a five mile hiking trail on the first day, I got a headache or threw up. When I learned to just take it easy the first few days, I had zero problems. I'm a lot older now and as of last year things have started changing, for the worst. My mountain biking and hiking days are best spent at lower altitudes of say 6000 or less, which stinks. Anywho, even though you are out of shape, you are young. It's good that you are being realistic, you'll know to take it easy at first. If I were you, I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by elan; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico