Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 AM

461 posts, read 547,499 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is off topic. Please let me know if this post belongs in the NM or AZ forums.

It's "Spring" Break vacation planning time again. I put Spring in quotes because I live in Colorado. My daughter has Spring Break the last week of March, and we're looking for a driving vacation that takes us away from Winter weather. Last year we drove to Moab, and had a hideous 14 hour drive back on I-70.

I was thinking of driving to Santa Fe and Albuquerque via I-25, and then on to Phoenix via I-25 and I-10.

What's the drive from Las Cruces to Phoenix like on I-10 that time of year? I drove that way 15 years ago, but I don't remember what the terrain is like.

Any other non Winter type of driving destinations that I should consider?

Thanks

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,991,068 times
Wink Spring Break timing

Baring the unfortunate weather event, your drive from Denver to Phoenix via Albuquerque should prove uneventful.

As you surely know, it can and will snow somewhere in Colorado in March. Possibly a lot. Being confined principally to the mountains. So any snow encountered may be over the Palmer Divide, but once south of Colorado Springs probably fair sailing.

Northern New Mexico could see some snow then. It all depends on weather patterns at that time. But certainly less chance of snow than Colorado. Likely little to not at all, save maybe on the peaks.

Once to ABQ and south you should be well out of any concern due snow. I-10 from Las Cruces, NM to Phoenix via Tucson is uneventful. If anything, you might encounter dust storms west of Lordsburg, NM.

I would caution, however, that if once in ABQ and envisioning reaching Phoenix via Flagstaff, AZ, then possibly a quite different drive. Likely not, but if bad weather in the area then consider this closely. I-40 can and has been closed near Grants, NM due inclement weather. Meaning blizzard like conditions and snow packed roads (maybe icy, too). On that route from ABQ one is not really out of the woods until south of Flagstaff and quickly dropping down towards Phoenix on I-17. But, again, chances are most anywhere in New Mexico and Arizona probably okay. Well, probably, if Flagstaff can be its own little weather island of its own.

To reiterate, your excursion should prove uneventful. As always, timing is key. If 14 hours from Moab, UT to Denver, then something was really wrong. As in, if but the day before, or one or two later then likely but the usual uneventful 5 and a half hour drive on largely dry roads.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Sorry if this is off topic. Please let me know if this post belongs in the NM or AZ forums.

It's "Spring" Break vacation planning time again. I put Spring in quotes because I live in Colorado. My daughter has Spring Break the last week of March, and we're looking for a driving vacation that takes us away from Winter weather. Last year we drove to Moab, and had a hideous 14 hour drive back on I-70.

I was thinking of driving to Santa Fe and Albuquerque via I-25, and then on to Phoenix via I-25 and I-10.

What's the drive from Las Cruces to Phoenix like on I-10 that time of year? I drove that way 15 years ago, but I don't remember what the terrain is like.

Thanks

JB
I know those interstates well, I live west of Grand Junction but lived in the Denver area for a few decades. Worked and lived in New Mexico for a couple years, and also have gone to Tucson and Phoenix for Major League exhibition baseball in March.

Denver to Albuquerque is a seven hour drive. Raton Pass to me is just a big hill, nothing like the passes Colorado has crossing the Continental Divide (Monarch, Loveland, Berthoud, etc.) High point is 7834 ft. Raton is a good stop for stretching your legs and having lunch. The third exit is where most of the mom and pop restaurants and motels are. I lived there for several months on a pipeline job in 1982. Traveling is easy, no hills until you get past Las Vegas (NM) and head west. Hilly country, a little climbing, but easy travel. If seven hours is all the travel you want in a day, Albuquerque is a good place to spend the night. Take the Menaul Ave. exit, there are several chain motels. I've stayed at Days Inn, Travel Lodge, and Motel 6. I'll be staying there in a few months as there are some trade shows at the Elegante Hotel I like going to. The Range Cafe is a locally owned restaurant chain, very good food for dinner and breakfast, there is one right next to those motels. NOW, if you want to do a 12 hour drive>>>>>You soldier on about 4 hours and

you can stay on I-25 to Las Cruces but what I always do is take the "Hatch cutoff". Hatch is a small town and the area is well known in regards to their Hatch Chile---YUMS! BUT- motels are very few. I take the cutoff road (state highway 26 as you shave off 60 miles on the drive. The drive is pretty level until you get about 15 miles north of Truth Or Consequences it gets pretty hilly through there. Wind is the problem there, not snow. The U.S. Border Patrol Building is only on the northbound lane. On highway 26 you might run into a border patrol checkpoint where officers spot check vehicles and N.M. port of entry people weigh commercial haulers with their portable scales. Sometimes they're there and sometimes not. Deming has a specific exit for chain motels and restaurants as they are plentiful. I've stayed at different motels, it's a low brow town but a safe one. Lot of friendly folks there.

Deming to the Arizona border is around 80 miles. Level ground, easy drive but if the digital boards are flashing "high wind warning" then TAKE HEED. I've been through a few bad ones, where the wind will gust at 50 to 60 m.p.h. for a couple hours at a time in February and March and the dust is FLYING.. No mountains, some small hills. Wilcoxx is a good place to have lunch, my favorite mom and pop restaurant there is the The Plaza restaurant. TA (Travel America) has a truck stop there, built 6 years ago It's good as well. Tucson is 85 miles west of Willcoxx, with Phoenix another 120 miles. I-10 is busy, lots of snowbirds in both cities, heh, including me when I can get away.

Hope this helps!

ADD>>>>>I noticed the Colorado mod moved this to the New Mexico forum just a bit ago.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-04-2015 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: correction, spelling

Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,925,124 times
I'll be driving to Phoenix in March also. I've done it many times, including this past Christmas. We did run into snow around Flagstaff on the way home, but it only lasted about 30 miles. My upcoming trip will be into the east valley so I'll head south to ALB, then west on I-40 to Holbrook, southwest to Payson, then 87 south to Mesa. Takes about 12 hours. A few years ago I ran into a snowstorm outside of ALB that lasted all the way to Mesa. This happened in March, and I believe that Flagstaff got 8 feet of snow during that event. Just watch the forecasts. Weather is usually decent at that time of year.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:

Thanks

JB
It may be very windy and if so, there is often a chance that I-10 will be closed for sand storms.

I drove from Phoenix to Las Cruces via I-10 some years ago and as I recall, the drive itself was very easy.
There were a good number of places to stop and nice scenery.

As a woman often travelling alone I prefer to stay on major highways where I know I will be able to find populated places to stop, so, I-25 to I-10 would be my route of choice.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:11 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It may be very windy and if so, there is often a chance that I-10 will be closed for sand storms.

I drove from Phoenix to Las Cruces via I-10 some years ago and as I recall, the drive itself was very easy.
There were a good number of places to stop and nice scenery.

As a woman often travelling alone I prefer to stay on major highways where I know I will be able to find populated places to stop, so, I-25 to I-10 would be my route of choice.
Tigerlily makes a good point regarding roads. I should have mentioned State highway 26 is a 2 lane road. I take it because it shaves off a lot of miles for me. It doesn't have any road services though, such as gas stations, rest areas, unless one has opened up in the last 2 years as it was at that time I was there last.

If you decide to go the Las Cruces route keep in mind I-25 ends in Cruces and the right lane swings over and joins up with I-10 coming from El Paso. I've only stayed in Las Cruces once, stayed at the Super 8 for $35 and had dinner with one of the City Data members! Had a great time, had some good mexican food from Si Senors.

And yes, though I've never seen NM law enforcement shut down 10 for visibility problems, it's happened!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times
Quote:
What's the drive from Las Cruces to Phoenix like on I-10 that time of year?
March is fine as long as you don't get caught in winds exceeding 30mph. Spring dust storms are no fun, and can be dangerous for drivers when visibility becomes impaired. It's not unusual for IH-10 to be closed for periods of time between Las Cruces and Lordsburg/Wilcox area.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
I wouldn't go via the I-25 to I-10 route. If you are heading towards central Phoenix or the West Valley, the fastest route is typically I-40 to I-17. If you are heading towards the East Valley (Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Queen Creek, or Scottsdale), I would go via I-40 to Holbrook, AZ 377 and 277 to Heber, AZ 260 to Payson, and AZ 87 to Mesa (if heading towards Scottsdale go west on Shea Blvd).

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 AM

887 posts, read 1,216,962 times
Depending on how long you want to drive another consideration might be heading west on 60. If making time is not an issue it's a darn nice drive with tons to see. Personally I would even try and avoid 25 from ABQ south. Boring! Problem is any other routes and you are really making a sightseeing tour along the way.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,279,098 times
West on 40 is pretty tedious. Gets interesting around the border, then gets tedious again. Maybe it was only interesting because I recognized the cliff faces from the movie Four Faces West....

Albuquerque down to Hatch is also kinda dull, but not as dull as Deming over to AZ. So I would probably pick the shortest route.

You can also get to Phoenix by getting off at Lordsburg and taking 70 west. Might not be a good inclement weather choice, but I actually feel quite a bit safer off the freeways in snow, rain, or dust. On the freeway there always seems to be some moron trying to go 80 in spite of the weather conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico