Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,332 times

Advertisements

I am a retiring New York teacher ( 64 days) . I have always wanted to try Santa Fe. But, Las Cruces sounds nice, too. Is there a big difference in ambience , style and price between the two ? Yes, right? Santa Fe is a lot more exdpensive. Is Las Cruces as charming, though? Would you recommend that I rent first or just plunge in and buy a small condo (and how much would they cost , would you think) . Thanks for any help.
nancy[/quote]

I agree: rent first. Even if you rent in Santa Fe and end up buying, your knowledge of the different areas will make a huge difference in the quality of your ultimate buying decision. As to pricing, you can get a nice 1 bed (450 sq ft) condo here for $140,000 - or a nice 1 bed condo for $800,000! Just like everywhere else, it's all about location - the closer you are to the East Side the more you'll pay. Realistically nowhere in town's more than 25 minutes from anywhere else, but once you see the phrase "walk to Canyon Road", you know you'll be paying premium prices... Me, I prefer being close to Trader Joes & the Santa Fe Baking Company than art galleries, but that's a personal preference ;-]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:10 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,593,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
I've always had a sort of longing to live in the desert, in NM in particular, but I've never been sold on any of its cities. I visited Albuquerque and there was absolutely nothing going on, and the people were not at all interesting. Santa Fe seemed a little better, but still pretty quiet.

Understand that I am coming from Minneapolis, Minnesota - a place overflowing with talented musicians and artists. Walking down the street in Uptown is an adventure. Always something new to see and do. I don't need to be in a place as big as Minneapolis/St. Paul by any means. In fact I like small towns, as long as there are things going on.

Anyone particularly fond of any specific cities?
IMO, you should check out Tuscon AZ, it's still a "wild west town" in many respects. Here is a page link to the Tuscon forum:
Tucson Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM

775 posts, read 2,591,389 times
Default My Favorite

The East Mountain area is my favorite for Activities and Summer Recreation throughout the Summer and Fall. And its Close to Smog Ridden and Traffic Congested Santa Fe and Albuquerque. These Cities are nice to Visit and Shop but they are getting too crime ridden and i prefer the country life. The East Mountain has cool summer temps sometimes getting the 40s at night but rarely get to 100 in July. Lots of hiking trails and ski areas around and lots of small towns and friendly people. And Talented Musicians and Artist. el pintada kid

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,558,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
The East Mountain area is my favorite for Activities and Summer Recreation throughout the Summer and Fall. And its Close to Smog Ridden and Traffic Congested Santa Fe and Albuquerque. These Cities are nice to Visit and Shop but they are getting too crime ridden and i prefer the country life. The East Mountain has cool summer temps sometimes getting the 40s at night but rarely get to 100 in July. Lots of hiking trails and ski areas around and lots of small towns and friendly people. And Talented Musicians and Artist. el pintada kid
This sounds like a lovely place. Is there a website we could go to for more info?

Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,332 times
Smog Ridden Santa Fe? I don't think so, Pintada Kid - you need to check your facts. As to crime-ridden, again, it's not South Central LA we're talking about here.

To answer Sailaway50's question, the place Pintada Kid's talking about is at Disney.com | The Official Home Page For All Things Disney ;-}

No, really it's East Mountain Towns - A Sense of Place - Albuquerque's Environmental Story (http://www.cabq.gov/aes/s2emt.html - broken link)

Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,558,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
Smog Ridden Santa Fe? I don't think so, Pintada Kid - you need to check your facts. As to crime-ridden, again, it's not South Central LA we're talking about here.

To answer Sailaway50's question, the place Pintada Kid's talking about is at Disney.com | The Official Home Page For All Things Disney ;-}

No, really it's East Mountain Towns - A Sense of Place - Albuquerque's Environmental Story (http://www.cabq.gov/aes/s2emt.html - broken link)
Thanks.

I agree -- there's crime/smog and there's CRIME/SMOG. I don't believe I ever thought of Albuquerque or Santa Fe as either, compared to a large city.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

361 posts, read 1,093,808 times
Here's a couple of websites about the East Mountain Area (including the Estancia Valley - which slightly overlaps the East Mountain Area around Edgewood).

Albuquerque East Mountains Homes and Land

EVEDA Virtual Tour - The Estancia Valley (http://www.evedanm.com/vtour/index.html - broken link)

Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 PM

93 posts, read 310,113 times
I've never lived in either Minneapolis or Santa Fe, but have been to both many times. Minneapolis is ok. The "Uptown" they talk about is really a small neighborhood that's being gentryfied by yuppies, there really isn't anything original about it. It's not Soho or Hell's Kitchen in NYC, and it is not Wicker Park, or Lakeview in Chicago. I like Minneapolis, but it pales in comparison with Santa Fe when you compare how interesting the two cities are. The art scene in SF is pretty amazing considering the size of the city. I'd take SF any day.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM

775 posts, read 2,591,389 times
Default Santa Fe, Albuquerque

All big Cities have lots of Traffic smog and Crime but Santa Fe and Albuquerque are not as Bad as other Cities in the U.S. And i would think the Streets in Santa Fe are a lot safer then like Central in Albuquerque. I say rent in the Center of N.M.or rent to own and explore N.M. before spending money on a Place you might not like and end up stuck with it. el pintada kid

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,638,217 times
Goon, you might like Austin, TX better, if artists and music and "happening" scene are important. I think the "official" population figures puts it about the same size as ABQ, although the metro area might be larger.

As for music here, we just bought our tickets to Etta James. Top tier are already sold out Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico