Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,580 times

Advertisements

I've always had a sort of longing to live in the desert, in NM in particular, but I've never been sold on any of its cities. I visited Albuquerque and there was absolutely nothing going on, and the people were not at all interesting. Santa Fe seemed a little better, but still pretty quiet.

Understand that I am coming from Minneapolis, Minnesota - a place overflowing with talented musicians and artists. Walking down the street in Uptown is an adventure. Always something new to see and do. I don't need to be in a place as big as Minneapolis/St. Paul by any means. In fact I like small towns, as long as there are things going on.

Anyone particularly fond of any specific cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Phoenix, AZ?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Well i can only think of Las Cruces in the southern part of the state. Other then that i agree with Greg that you may want to look at another state like Arizona for what your asking.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
goon claimed:

> ... the people were not at all interesting ...

That's just about the strangest thing I've read on this forum.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
In NM Santa Fe is your best bet. You seem to fit the Scottsdale persona though, try AZ I'd hate to see you bored by us boring folks in NM.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
In NM Santa Fe is your best bet.
Well he said he tried Santa Fe but he said he wasn't very impressed either. Sorry to disappoint the OP but not too many Minneapolis's here in NM.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I think he would be right at home in Clayton or Reserve.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Mortimer announced ...

>Thats just about the the strangest thing i've read on this forum ...

Well.....i can think of alot of doozies on here like the lady back in the summer ''MO Redneck Women'' who said she she hated all of us because we are all tax cheats here in New Mexico.

Maybe i should had sent her my W-2 copies .....

Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
Exclamation Not interesting????hmm

Well, maybe Fence Lake down where I am. Just last week we had a bake sale and rummage sale in the old store (out of bus now).
Early in the day you can see deer and elk, and even coyotes running around, late night too.

Jesh, what more do you want..

Second thought, yep--Phoenix..lots going out should be room.

Happy trails,
Don't let the rattlers get you from behind..

HW:

Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,780 times
Default Thinking of NM also

I also live in a large city and can relate to this feeling of needing to get closer to nature, more quiet, etc. Cities are getting crazier by the minute. The negatives are starting to outweigh the positives, and I have been a downtown, large city dweller for 20 years and also raised children here. I alway felt drawn to Colorado and the West, having spent large amounts of time there. But, I think Colo got overdeveloped with a very transient and second home type feeling in many of the more beautiful areas. I think NM always appealed as a less touristey place where the real estate developers have not yet (totally, that is) gone wild. Which I heard is true of Santa Fe, costs too much to live there now.

I have last seen Albuquerque in 1964 during a car drive from Chgo to LA, as a kid. Can't imagine how it's changed. I'll never forget the beauty of the area, though. Have been back to Phoenix, not the same and I don't like the Sun City Nation feel there....weird zoning also unless you have big bucks and the place seemed deserted (snowbirds?).

As far as walking down the street for stimulation, that's not the point of moving out of the city, anyway. I think you have to make up your mind that you are going on to a new life and if you NEED the stimulation.....take a trip to SF or NYC or Chicago. Just like those people go to Alaska for their trips...

So. Does anyone from Minn or Ill live in Albuquerque or NM, and what was this transition like? Anyone who lives in a big city that I Know has complained about the increased impersonal and hostile social scene.....not as bad as the movie "Crash", but on that page.....and is yearning for a more "real" environment with fewer human-created "challenges" and stresses....more "real" people.

Any input here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico