Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city based on my criteria?
Albuquerque 14 70.00%
Las Cruces 4 20.00%
Santa Fe 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,950,239 times

Advertisements

Or......you could come on over to Tucson Town! I know it's not in NM. But in winter the best winter. Just outside of the city are the mountains where you could go to cool off in summer.

That said , sticking with NM. It's Las Cruces . Great eating out, best MX food as everything is made with peppers. Cost of living very good , it's just a large farm town. Jan. Is the coldest, just take a vacation then. Also a hour away you can be in the Mountains where irs cool in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,301,028 times
Honestly, I don't think anyplace in New Mexico fits this list of requirements. Las Cruces average high in June and July is 95. If you know what average means, you will be uncomfortable a lot. Last summer it was over 100 quite a bit. And when the wind blows in winter at 40-45 degrees, it is quite cold. Las Cruces does not have big city amenities, thank goodness, because then it would be a big city. Santa Fe is cold, so that's out. Albuquerque has high crime rate. Maybe El Paso is the place for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
Me and my husband have been looking to relocate to a new place. We are looking to move somewhere that is affordable, not to much crime, has good weather, no to low humidity, big city amenities, not too crowded with crazy traffic like L.A., fun things to do, and has good employment. We prefer to live in a medium sized city, but would still be okay to living in a smaller city. We would want a place that has a hospital, a airport near by (1-2 hours away), grocery stores, malls, movie theaters, restaurants, good transportation ect. Our ideal weather is temperatures not above 95 degrees and no snow if possible. It might sound funny, but after living in the Netherlands for a few years, I feel like I cannot tolerate snow or cold weather at all anymore. When the temperature is 40-41 degrees, it feels a lot colder and unbearable to me. It's even worse since the cold and humidity goes into your bones and causes a lot of pain. I know it will be difficult to find a place with our criteria, especially the weather, but I'm hopeful that we can find some place close. I've really taken a interest in New Mexico and think meet our criteria the best. Of course I love California, but it is just too expensive for us. I'm sure there are a lot of other areas that fit our criteria that I am unaware of, so please let me know what your opinion is and which city you think would be best for us, even if it wasn't something I listed.

If it's not too much trouble, could you also comment to say which city you think would be best and why. It would really help us out a lot since there's still a lot we don't know about cities.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,454,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyplace in New Mexico fits this list of requirements. Las Cruces average high in June and July is 95. If you know what average means, you will be uncomfortable a lot. Last summer it was over 100 quite a bit. And when the wind blows in winter at 40-45 degrees, it is quite cold. Las Cruces does not have big city amenities, thank goodness, because then it would be a big city. Santa Fe is cold, so that's out. Albuquerque has high crime rate. Maybe El Paso is the place for you
...but El Paso is less than an hour south of Las Cruces, and if anything a bit hotter: the average high is above 92 from June through August, topping out at 95.5 in June. If Las Cruces is out for its summer heat, surely EP would be too? Speaking from experience, EP is also worse for spring and fall winds than the New Mexico cities.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
How 'bout Alamogordo - where you can motor up the mountain when its hot to escape the searing heat of the Tularosa Basin.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
How 'bout Alamogordo - where you can motor up the mountain when its hot to escape the searing heat of the Tularosa Basin.
i looked in to that city too. first its too small and has little atraction exvept it is a little warmer in winter than Las Cruces.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
There is affordable housing there and the New Mexico Space Museum with an IMAX theater, a decent 10-screeen first run theater in town, etc. It was a good choice of a place to live and work in for a couple years but my wife and I, if we return to the desert SW at retirement time, would no doubt search out an Arizona locale. We love sunny Arizona, perhaps Wickenburg or Bisbee.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
...but El Paso is less than an hour south of Las Cruces, and if anything a bit hotter: the average high is above 92 from June through August, topping out at 95.5 in June. If Las Cruces is out for its summer heat, surely EP would be too? Speaking from experience, EP is also worse for spring and fall winds than the New Mexico cities.
True EP is going to be hotter in summer, but it's also slightly warmer in winter and has big(ger) city amenities.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
i looked in to that city too. first its too small and has little atraction exvept it is a little warmer in winter than Las Cruces.
Alamo is not warmer than LC in any season. It's a few degrees cooler.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Was not the case this winter when i was two months in Las Crucis. Dec. and Jan. We had snow a couple of days in Jan. but Up the road in Almarg. rain and warmer at night.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
That's not the case, close at times but "Alamo is not warmer than LC in any season"

My references:

Climate Alamogordo - New Mexico and Weather averages Alamogordo
Climate Las Cruces - New Mexico and Weather averages Las Cruces

You can chew the numbers at your leisure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico