Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM

850 posts, read 3,723,271 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some camping destinations in a couple weeks, but I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with camping in the state. I'm not too worried about crowds this time of year, but I always prefer smaller campgrounds with something scenic around (water, mountains, trees or cactus, etc.). I was thinking of going to Mt. Taylor and doing some hiking, but I haven't looked into it too much yet and I don't know what the snow situation is up there now.

Where do you like to go and why? I'm in ABQ, but I don't mind driving up to 5 hours or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
Way off trail. Somewhere I would be surprised if anyone happened upon my tarp.

It sounds like you are looking for campgrounds, though. I found this webpage detailing some of the campgrounds in the Mt. Taylor Ranger District. http://freyburger.awardspace.com/MtTaylor.htm

Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,252,410 times
El Morro National Monument's pretty neat as a getaway and a campout. Plus it's currently free and a nice small campground.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,336,213 times
I rarely camp in campgrounds, and only do so when desperate. My favorite places are where there is nobody else for miles. Therefore I avoid what other people consider scenic. I consider waking up and seeing no people to be the most beautiful form of scenery. Clearly I'm not going to be of any help to you...

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I'm looking for some camping destinations in a couple weeks, but I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with camping in the state. I'm not too worried about crowds this time of year, but I always prefer smaller campgrounds with something scenic around (water, mountains, trees or cactus, etc.). I was thinking of going to Mt. Taylor and doing some hiking, but I haven't looked into it too much yet and I don't know what the snow situation is up there now.

Where do you like to go and why? I'm in ABQ, but I don't mind driving up to 5 hours or so.
We do not camp.

We ate dinner with some Canadians last night which are enthusiastic SW campers/hikers. They use a small tent pop-up trailer or backpack. They could not get to the end of the Mt. Taylor road a few days ago due to snow and ice. I think I would skip the highest peak in New Mexico for Summer time.

Wanna see a great recent video? Droning Over San Ysidro, Ojito.

"Free primitive camping is allowed anywhere in the area.":
Ojito Wilderness Area, San Ysidro, New Mexico
Ojito

Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,070,487 times
Villanueva State park is one of my favorites. Beautiful valley. Set along side the Pecos River.

Villanueva State Park New Mexico

Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
El Morro also has cabin rentals which are a nice alternative, but it gets very cold there.

This time of year I would recommend heading south to Oliver Lee State Park near Alamogordo. Nice hiking trails and close to White Sands if you haven't checked that out before. If tent camping, it will be difficult to drive stakes through the hard, rocky ground.

Oliver Lee Memorial State Park New Mexico

Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM

887 posts, read 1,219,582 times
Might like around the Jemez area too but again, probably not ideal for winter. I could so get into camping myself if not for one thing. After the army and a year in rvn being able to shower each day is just something I would find very hard giving up. Everything else I could do and enjoy for days on end.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Might like around the Jemez area too but again, probably not ideal for winter. I could so get into camping myself if not for one thing. After the army and a year in rvn being able to shower each day is just something I would find very hard giving up. Everything else I could do and enjoy for days on end.
State parks have restroom facilities with showers (or some of them do). Oliver Lee has showers.

Also in Southern NM, Rock Hound State Park, City of Rocks State Park (both near Deming), and Pancho Villa State Park (Columbus) all have showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico