Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forums and the internet and I'm still stumped.

What area of the state is good for winter camping?

Since it's two females and two big dogs, we'd prefer

a) pet friendly park
b) park with bathrooms, showers and electrical hookups
c) a popular winter camping area - we'd prefer to have people around.

Any suggestions? We've already figured we need to go south. We're considering camping for Thanksgiving, so the dogs won't have to be boarded.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
To me 'winter camping' means strapping on snowshoes, digging a quinzee (a kind of snowshelter) and carrying a zero-degree bag. This you can do on any federal land in the state which is a vast area.

So I have no idea what you are getting at. Are you looking for a commercial/public campground that is open in winter?

ABQConvict

Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 PM

390 posts, read 951,944 times
You might like Elephant Butte or the rock hound park around Deming. As a lone female, I would feel safe at the Butte, in particular around the marina.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 PM

79 posts, read 231,000 times
x2 Convict

yukon, not to sound condescending, but it sounds like you're describing RVing/5th-Wheeling; not camping. Winter camping to me is Mt. Withington in the San Mateos with snow on the ground, 15-20 mph winds with gusts to 40, a huge camp fire, a tent, and my 20° bag.

That said, Rock Hound State Park would be a start for what you're describing. Others that come to mind are Oliver Lee State Park, Leasburg Dam State Park (I think they have hookups), and I think a camp ground or 2 in the Chiricahua (both Rustler Park and Cave Creek) Mountains may have hookups.

EDIT: City of Rocks State Park, between Silver City and Deming, has electric, restrooms, and showers too. As do Bottomless Lakes, Brantley Lake, Caballo Lake, and Poncho Villa State Parks....

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/ParkTours.htm

Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

a) pet friendly park

Any suggestions? We've already figured we need to go south. We're considering camping for Thanksgiving, so the dogs won't have to be boarded.

Thanks!
I did a little homework for you yukon, I typed in snowbirds, camping, new mexico, and a few other keywords in the search, and came up with several threads about camping in the state.
here's a link to one where you might find some 411.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...sequences.html

Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

a) pet friendly park

Thanks!
It depends on what you want to do. Deming, Las Cruces, Carlsbad are good areas if you don't want it too cold but even those areas can get kind of cold at night, down to 30 or in the high 20's at night.

It's not just south you have to worry about as far as temperature, it's also altitude.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 AM

60 posts, read 163,883 times
I think your best bet would be a state park. They are much better maintained.
I just returned from City of Rocks and it was nice. It doesn't seem to get the traffic that Rock Hound gets and the sites are unique.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not just south you have to worry about as far as temperature, it's also altitude.
Absolutely. People don't usually stop to realize that the lowest altitudes in New Mexico average around 4,000 ft. and that equates to frequent overnight freezes in even the most southerly parts of the state.

Quote:
The highest point in the state is Wheeler Peak, at 13,161 ft (4,014 m); the lowest point, 2,842 ft (867 m), is at Red Bluff Reservoir.
I presume that's Red Bluff south of Carlsbad, which actually lies across the state line in Texas.

PS IF I were going to join the "Snowbird" crowd for winter RVing, I'd choose south Texas or the Mojave or Sonoran desert regions of AZ, CA or NV. And many Snowbirds like Puerto Penasco and other resorts south of the AZ state line in Mexico.

Last edited by jaxart; 09-19-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
If i want to go winter camping I can walk out on my deck in January. I want to move to NM to avoid winter camping.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
You can go winter camping by walking out onto your deck in New Mexico, too. In the south and the Rio Grande Valley it may be more like late-fall camping though.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico