Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

701 posts, read 698,318 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to Flagstaff - Sedona area and want to know which month is best, May or June.

We will stay the first night in Amarillo, Tx. than break up the next leg into another over night stay. We are thinking about stopping over night in Gallup or Grants NM. Any suggestions on that?

The last time we went to Flagstaff we made it in 2 days, Amarillo the first night than Flagstaff, but these old bones can not do that again.

What is the weather like at that time of year?

Last edited by tramp; 02-28-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
We are thinking about stopping over night in Gallup or Grants NM. Any suggestions on that?

What is the weather like at that time of year?
My recommendation would be to stay in Albuquerque. It's then only a half day drive to Flagstaff - about an hour longer than Grants. If willing to drive to Gallup, then might as well drive another 2 hours into Flagstaff.

Weather will be summery - and could be windy. But little chance of any precip in May/June.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
I will second staying in Albuquerque. It is only an hour short of Grants, you will have more lodging options, and if you roll into town at a decent hour, you can have a wide array of nice dinner options, get a good night's sleep, and be on the road bright and early.

May and June are both fine months to travel. Possibly the calmest months, weatherwise since the winds are done and the thunderstorms have not started up yet. While May is just about perfect, June often sees the hottest high temps of the year if that makes a difference to you.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:16 AM

18,261 posts, read 25,956,538 times
Default Duke City

^^^^^^Good notes above!^^^^^

I did a fair amount of traveling in my day and IMO Albuquerque has always had the most reasonably priced motels, particularly chain motels. The Tramway exit off I-40 has several I've stayed at before and also the Eubank exit, two exits west. When you hit the Eubank exit you'll notice several chain motels on Hotel Circle from Days Inn to Howard Johnson's. And one of my favorite mom and pop restaurants sits in between them, the Owl Cafe. Great $2.99 breakfast specials!

If you need to do any quick shopping, Target sits behind Days Inn, there's also a Walmart on the south side of I-40.

And like the above posters said, you'll be ok with May travel, Flagstaff is an easy 4 1/2 hour drive for me.

Safe travels!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM

701 posts, read 698,318 times
Thanks, I looked into the hotels in Albuquerque and came up with the Hampton inn University midtown, the comfort inn near the airport and Homewood Suites near the airport. What is ya'll take on these hotels. It looks like the Hampton inn is right off the interstate.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
Unless you have to do this trip in two days I would recommend taking the two lane highways like Rt.64 along the Colorado border. It would take a lot longer but is much more scenic and avoids the interstate raceways.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,259,647 times
The Super 8 motel off of the Juan Tabo I-40 exit is very cheap....maybe around $40 if you dig around---with a free hot continental breakfast in their dining area and they allow pets. And the rooms are nicer than some hotels that are double the money. We always stay there when we're in town.
Definitely stay in Albuquerque for your road trip.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
CII

153 posts, read 226,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Unless you have to do this trip in two days I would recommend taking the two lane highways like Rt.64 along the Colorado border. It would take a lot longer but is much more scenic and avoids the interstate raceways.
Highway 64 would let you hit Taos and then Chama (if you are an old time Railroad buff) Durango is a short side trip and then the drive to Ouray over the million dollar highway is spectacular! If you have a day or two to spare. You will also cross the Rio Grande gorge bridge 800' above the river and later pass 1000' tall shiprock.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
CII - Those places are on our To Do list. So is the Durango and Silverton Railroad.

We are planning a trip to T or C late in April. We really need a hot soak after this winter in the Northeast.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
Thanks, I looked into the hotels in Albuquerque and came up with the Hampton inn University midtown, the comfort inn near the airport and Homewood Suites near the airport. What is ya'll take on these hotels. It looks like the Hampton inn is right off the interstate.
There are a bunch of Hotels off of I40 going East/West. Hampton Inn University Midtown is very convinient off of the freeway. There are a couple of restaurants nearby.

For a more variety of restaurants look at.

Hyatt Place Albuquerque Uptown

Homewood Suites Albuquerque Uptown

Albuquerque Marriott Uptown

Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico