Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM

116 posts, read 251,234 times

Advertisements

There is so much to love about new Mexico the people the views the culture the green Chile and best of all I'm closet to my family. What else do I need. Oh yeah did I mention all tje fun activities/ things to see

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
I have only been to NM for vacations and have seen ABQ, Santa Fe area, Taos, Silver City and driven around the state.

What I love:

1. Not much population and a lot of open space
2. Mysteriousness of it all
3. Open carry laws

What I don't like:

1. All the decrepit mobile homes
2. Prices of land too high
3. In some areas it just plain feels creepy

OD

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,231 times
I love the easy availability of all sorts of drugsI love my baby mamaI love the easy girls I meet at partysI love mi Tia's enchiladasI love to bet on the **** fighting in Los Lunas

Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 PM

390 posts, read 952,304 times
Geeee moderator, close this down.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
We moved here 2 years ago from the Pacific Northwest, bought land and live in the country.

What I love: the sunshine, interesting cloud formations, watching the storms, and seeing the stars at night. Good air.

What I don't like:

The unsatisfactory work ethic, lazy people who don't know their jobs and don't care, people in government positions who do nothing and milk the system

Cibola county's failure to maintain the dirt county roads properly--many times they are so muddy you cannot drive on them (caliche mud). At times we are stuck at home for several days. In the winter, we have to leave very early a.m. while the mud is frozen and try to return in the eve. Lord help us if we have a serious medical emergency. When we bought the property we had no idea the roads were so bad in the winter and during the monsoons.

Lack of good medical and dental care. We drive 3 hours to ABQ to find better medical care. There is a shortage of physicians in NM and many docs refuse to take new patients. If you have Medicare, many will not accept Medicare patients or already have their max. With regard to nursing and lab staff--many are not adequately trained and fail to follow proper procedures.

We are caucasian and have had no problems at all with the Indians and Hispanics. In fact, a couple of the friendliest and most helpful to us are Zuni. When you move into a very small community, the locals whose families have lived here for generations can be extremely clannish--they are all related to each other in some way. Some have been friendly; most don't want newcomers or any changes. We socialize with the other transplants, mostly from CA. I have no real friends here and feel isolated.

In short: we can't wait to get out of the Land of Entrapment!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Cibola county's failure to maintain the dirt county roads properly--many times they are so muddy you cannot drive on them (caliche mud). At times we are stuck at home for several days. In the winter, we have to leave very early a.m. while the mud is frozen and try to return in the eve. Lord help us if we have a serious medical emergency. When we bought the property we had no idea the roads were so bad in the winter and during the monsoons.

Yep. That is one reason among many that I avoided country property (roads, wells, septic, etc.) and opted for paved roads and city services. The heavy clay soils present in many areas make wet unpaved roads like trying to drive on glass.

As for the doctor situation and new patients/Medicare, it's getting that way in many other places, and NM is not alone in this.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
love: the sunrises and sunsets

green chili (I have a huge supply now, thanks to a freind that brought us some early this week)

the climate
lower cost of living
good ethnic foods
friendly neighbors
only 8 hours from Laughlin
low utility bills
great place to grow a garden

Hate:

not feeling like we ever really belonged
lazy people: example, can't even put their carts in the cart holders at Wal-Mart
closes minds
too much welfare and too many babies having babies
crime
too far from family

Nita

Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I have only been to NM for vacations and have seen ABQ, Santa Fe area, Taos, Silver City and driven around the state.

What I love:

1. Not much population and a lot of open space
2. Mysteriousness of it all
3. Open carry laws

What I don't like:

1. All the decrepit mobile homes
2. Prices of land too high
3. In some areas it just plain feels creepy

OD
Where does it feel creepy? And in what way creepy? (I might want to go check those out depending on the kind of creepy)

Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Yep. That is one reason among many that I avoided country property (roads, wells, septic, etc.) and opted for paved roads and city services. The heavy clay soils present in many areas make wet unpaved roads like trying to drive on glass.

As for the doctor situation and new patients/Medicare, it's getting that way in many other places, and NM is not alone in this.
You were wise to choose a location with paved roads! No one told us about the *caliche* mud--that should be included in real estate disclosures to buyers.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
We moved here 2 years ago from the Pacific Northwest, bought land and live in the country.

What I love: the sunshine, interesting cloud formations, watching the storms, and seeing the stars at night. Good air.

What I don't like:

The unsatisfactory work ethic, lazy people who don't know their jobs and don't care, people in government positions who do nothing and milk the system

Lack of good medical and dental care. We drive 3 hours to ABQ to find better medical care. There is a shortage of physicians in NM and many docs refuse to take new patients. If you have Medicare, many will not accept Medicare patients or already have their max. With regard to nursing and lab staff--many are not adequately trained and fail to follow proper procedures.

We are caucasian and have had no problems at all with the Indians and Hispanics. In fact, a couple of the friendliest and most helpful to us are Zuni. When you move into a very small community, the locals whose families have lived here for generations can be extremely clannish--they are all related to each other in some way. Some have been friendly; most don't want newcomers or any changes. We socialize with the other transplants, mostly from CA. I have no real friends here and feel isolated.

In short: we can't wait to get out of the Land of Entrapment!
"Caveat emptor."

Sorry, but I'm not empathetic. I'm always amazed when "suburban refugees" move to the rural areas of the Rocky Mountain West without doing the research that would tell them things Like:

- Roads aren't plowed every hour in the winter, may not be graveled or graded much anytime, and can be hazardous or impassable in inclement weather.

- Long-time residents may not be especially welcoming, particularly when the newcomers start complaining about how locals do (or don't) do things.

- Both government and private services may be lacking due to the sparse population. Duh!

- Rural folks often believe in personal responsibility and self-sufficiency and expect people who move into their community to share those values.

All of this is why so many jurisdictions in the rural areas of this region have enacted "Code of the West"-type resolutions to codify what people can (or should not) expect when they relocate into rural areas.

Living in the rural West is not just about sitting in one's house on one's "ranchette" and enjoying the peace, solitude, and sunsets. That comes at a price that many ex-suburbanites are unwilling or unable to endure. As exploding energy prices (coming soon) and other economic factors cause the rural areas of this region to sink back toward isolation once again, that price will be even steeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico