Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 PM

195 posts, read 972,642 times

Advertisements

I read every page of this thread and took in a lot. I'm a michigan resident, but I've visited NM many times and have to say that other than the midwest, the southwest – particularly Northern NM is one of my favorite parts of the country.

What ISN'T there to like about ABQ? Yeah I think Rio Rancho is too pricey for me, but other than that, you can't beat waking up early in the morning in Albuquerque with the Sandia's in your front yard, warm and friendly people up too going out to work or breakfast, the beautiful sunrise, the awesome dry high-desert air, the delicious new mexican cuisine, and did I mention the down-to-earthiness nature of almost everyone I've met?!

I love Albuquerque and most of northern NM and hope to buy a home there someday. The middle and southern part is alright, but Las Cruces seems too sprawling and strip-mall infested for me – even though it's so small.. The White Sands monument is incredible. Ruidoso looks like western Oregon/Washington – it's a hidden gem. I can go on and on, but my favorite part of New Mexico is the people. Everyone is so down-to-earth and just... well... PLEASANT! Life there feels so low-stress... doesn't matter that much if you don't drive a turbo Audi or make $150,000/yr or if you're house went up 50% last year.. Albuquerque has a deep charm to it.. almost hypnotic.. It's a gem in the middle of an already beautiful desert.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Thumbs up Great post!

windfarmer -- What a wonderful, positive, upbeat post!!!

Bravo! And I hope you get to make your dream of living here come true some day!

Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 AM

238 posts, read 634,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Good post, I agree with almost all of it and I pretty much feel the same way you do. Im a lifelong NM resident and I pretty much have an idea of how the state is from one corner to the other,I know others may not agree and think you are bashing but sometimes you gotta get what frustrates you off your chest. I love NM and I think it would be hard for me to leave this state but I do enjoy living here.
You're a 'lifer' in the Land of Entrapment too, eh? Sorry to read that. What I say is so true that I don't know how it can be construed as 'bashing'. I am just typing how I feel about Alb/NM. It is a nice place, but the culture here stinks. Imagine every negative, close minded troglodyte with no sophistication and you have a big chunk of Albuquerque.

I hate to say all of those things about my home state because I know there is so much good out there. But people here really need to lighten up. It's like I am dealing with a prison population or something.

Quote:
I know Cali pays better than NM but with the cost of living I dont think it even balances out, or does it.
CA pays much, much better and it pretty much cancels out the higher cost of living. And there are tons of jobs there too. Unlike here, where you have to work for the base to get paid well or work at a low-paying job, there are lots of places that desire people with an education. They actually VALUE a college degree. Imagine that!

So much for a degree paying more here in Albuquerque. And they FINALLY started to pay the police well... oh, yeah. They screwed that up too! No more longevity pay. I am sure the cop who has been on the job for 21 years appreciates getting that yanked from under him so that his 21 year old partner now makes the same pay.

Wanna be a teacher? Hey, go spend $200K and get your Masters, then go work for APS/CNM for $24K a year. Whoopie. Nothing says, "we value your education and our teachers" more than a whopping $24K a year salary. Have fun going through 3 years of grad school to teach a bunch of gangbangers, meth-heads, and brainless lowlifes with the aspirations of someday moving into that coveted double wide.

And guess what they pay firefighters out here? $33K! LAFD? Try $60K or so - starting! You say housing is expensive in L.A.? The housing/pay gap is wider here. Has been for decades. Business friendly? NM? You have GOT to be kidding me! NM is the most business UN-friendly place you could be - I don't care what magazine says what. When you have to call the friggin' Alcohol and Gaming office after a year to get a liquor license, they send the SDI in to entrap - errrr - 'monitor' (i.e., fine) you. Buuut... you can start up a mortgage company without having to barely any background checks! Great. Also, the pool of employees here is almost laughable. My sister works in HR at a large recruiting firm and she is just amazed at the sheer stupidity of the employee pool here. How do you walk in to a job interview with a major company, hand them your resume, with your name misspelled and 30 different jobs in 3 years and DEMAND Fridays off? Get real.

In L.A./San Diego, I can go to the beach, see a great off-Broadway show, eat at more restaurants that I could in 100 lifetimes, enjoy the year round perfect weather, catch a Laker/Charger/Padres/Dodger/Kings game and cruise around the Sunset Strip or Gaslamp District for beautiful women. All without a bunch of neanderthals getting drunk, mad dogging and shooting at me. What a concept!

Oh, and let's talk about those hot NM women. Uh, sorry but having a rear end and love handles that pop out of your tight jeans like coke coming out of a can when you throw a couple of Mentos in it is not sexy. And don't have the attitude that you're important because you are only slightly better looking than the ugliest girls of So Cal. Believe me, you are not all that and a bag of chips (which, ironically you should be laying off the chips).

Gosh, now I am getting depressed.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Sorry Mortimer as i know you hate it when poisters post an entire LONG post but i want to point out some of these issues on here.

First off this poster with his 1 post sounds very much like the reciently BANNED poster ''Handsome'' that moderator EnjoyEP banned.
I have no clue who that is. That was my first post to this board.

Quote:
1. You really believe EVERYBODY all 2.1 million residents is mean, disgusting, jealous and uneducated dreks of society as you stated???? So EVERY house is burned down and EVERY car is scratched?? Because someone bumped into you and your feelings got hurt and we are all 2.1 million residents to blame?? This is too funny ...lol...lol...did you call your MOMMY !!!
Did I say that??? I said the CULTURE here is one of anger, jealousy, negativity, ignorance and near hopelessness. Nowhere did I say "EVERYBODY" was that way, but there is a big portion of people in NM and especially in Albuquerque that think that way. I have never, ever lived in a city where I have faced so many angry and vengeful people.

Since I have lived here, I have been robbed at gunpoint, had another person pull a gun on me while driving, had the inside of my garage tagged, my mom's brand new car keyed, and have dealt with businesses that have no morals or scruples when it comes to robbing their customers and employees blind. And as I have stated before, it seems as everywhere I go I get mad dogged or someone wants to yell at you, fight with you or get mad at you. That has NEVER happened to me in any other city of an even bigger population and size. It's amazing how anyone makes a living let alone stays sane in this city.

Pick up a newspaper or do some internet research sometime. This is one of the most violent cities in one of the most violent states in the Union. Just take a look at this:

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

Quote:
2. Gangs EVERYWHERE....yeah i wish i could see them as i currently live in Southeast abq and have yet to be shot at or threatened. When you lived in LA you NEVER felt threatened by gangs well then have fun there where there are over 75,000 gangs there. Have fun.
There are an estimated 150,000 or so gang members or associate in L.A. Most of which live in South Central L.A., Compton, N. Long Beach and parts of the San Fernando Valley. And I never, ever had a problem or a run in with any gangbanger when living in L.A. They pretty much stick to themselves and leave normal people alone. I don't ever think I've seen a gangsta at the Grove, in Santa Monica or even on Sunset. But go to the NM State Fair... gangbanger heaven (or hell). Either some hardcore moron or some wannabe moron trying to start smack. And in a town of around 550,000 as compared to a large megalopolis of 12+ million? You do the math. It's ridiculous.

You live in Southeast Albuquerque? Home of the "warzone". Lovely. You may have been around town to see some of the 'homeboys' shooting at each other. Unless you have been living in a cave in Nob Hill, gangs are in every 'hood in this city - especially the SE. Also, take a drive to Westgate or Five Points and tell me now there are no gangs.

Get real.

Quote:
3 or 4. So what there are NO pro sports here WHO CARES!! and if i need that i'll move back to Florida where we had every major pro sport and 3 major universities in college sports and it didn't interest me a bit. Have fun spending on your $100.00 tickets to EACH game.
I care! Maybe if we attracted some major league sports franchises here we'd have something to be proud of. Maybe that would dump hundreds of millions of dollars here so that we would have better jobs and actually give people something to do and see. And I never paid $100 for a ticket to a game. Dodger games start out at $9. $40 got me a ticket to the USC-UCLA football game. And my buddy, who was a season ticket holder for the Kings, gave me free tickets on the 5th row all the time. So, I don't know what the heck you are kvetching about.

BTW - Miami is one of my favorite cities on earth.

Quote:
5. Ranked Up with Mississippi...have you really been to the south and appalachia?? Well tell me more and in detail and places since i've lived and been thru out the south and know her well as i'm a Southerner with extensive family thru out in the southern states there and i can tell you that you haven't seen poverty if you say NM is the worst. Those people out there would spit on you for saying they got it better than us.
Isn't Mississippi a part of Appalachia? I thought so. So are 8 or more states. That's quite an extrapolation to compare an entire region of 20 million people of multiple states. I can tell you that some of the poverty here in NM matches those in the poorer regions of Appalachia and other poverty stricken places in the world. Have you checked the stats on where our state ranks in terms of poverty, unwanted teenage pregnancy, dropout rates, murder rates, etc.? If it were not for Mississippi and/or Louisiana, we'd be dead LAST!

Quote:
6. Corrupt Gov??? Sure there is and we have a United States Federal Attorney who see's to it they are prosecuted. I believe several former state treasuers are now in Federal Prison rotting away.
How's our mayor doing? Still in office, and may be for an endless amount of terms. Is Manny Aragon in prison yet? Nope. And he was in the Senate for 30 years! We are 2nd or so behind Louisiana in terms of political corruption. You can barely wipe your nose without some politico getting a take of the action.

Quote:
7. Schools system is not very good and you know what else??? It sucks in most of the United States also. Read these other city forums around the country here on city data about how bad their schools are also.
No, it does not suck "in most of the United States". Head on out to the Boston area and you cannot turn a corner without running into a place of higher learning. Our APS is failing our kids as are the parents. Again, that may have something to do with the culture which goes on in vicious circles.

Quote:
By the way that's fine that some people like you hate NM
Who said I hated NM? I love NM. Too bad the culture, schools, job scene and crime all suck. Otherwise, it would be paradise.

Quote:
and you are entitled to point out things you find wrong as we need all sides to the story in any state or city as there are cities and states that i have lived in before that i didn't like but most of what you said is way overboard with exaggeration and i'm going to call these people out when ''Over Exaggeration'' is used on here.
I can barely even read what you write. Did you graduate from one of our wonderful public schools?

Quote:
Yeah you sure sound like a poster that was banned reciently but i'll let the Moderators determine that.
Bzzzt! Wrong again.

Quote:
But best of luck out in San Diego.

6/3
Thanks. Not that much longer until I am gone. I'll be sure to write after a day of surfing and eating dinner at George's at the Cove. Gosh, I am getting short.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
anger, jealousy, negativity, ignorance and near hopelessness.
Gosh.....sounds like you just described yourself to everyone here. How sad ???

Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I thinl BtheK writes some great polemic but I suggest his nearly unlimited dislike of the culture of NM says more about him than NM.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM

146 posts, read 440,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Isn't Mississippi a part of Appalachia? I thought so. So are 8 or more states. That's quite an extrapolation to compare an entire region of 20 million people of multiple states. I can tell you that some of the poverty here in NM matches those in the poorer regions of Appalachia and other poverty stricken places in the world. Have you checked the stats on where our state ranks in terms of poverty, unwanted teenage pregnancy, dropout rates, murder rates, etc.? If it were not for Mississippi and/or Louisiana, we'd be dead LAST!
Sorry, BtK, I double checked on Encarta, just to make sure, and Mississippi is not part of Appalachia... The Appalachian mountains go down to Georgia....maybe you were thinking GA?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBQuilts View Post
Sorry, BtK, I double checked on Encarta, just to make sure, and Mississippi is not part of Appalachia... The Appalachian mountains go down to Georgia....maybe you were thinking GA?
From Wikipedia:

"Appalachia is a term used to describe a region in the eastern United States that stretches from southern New York state to northern Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia."

"Over twenty million people live in Appalachia, an area roughly the size of the United Kingdom, covering mostly mountainous, often isolated areas from the border of Mississippi and Alabama in the south to Pennsylvania and New York in the north."

"The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) was created by the U.S. Congress in 1965 to bring poor areas of the 13 U.S. states of the main (southern) range of the Appalachians into the mainstream of the American economy. The commission is a partnership of federal, state, and local governments, and was created to promote economic growth and improve the quality of life in the region. The region as defined by the ARC includes roughly 408 counties, including all of West Virginia and counties in 13 other states: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia."

Appalachia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Gosh.....sounds like you just described yourself to everyone here. How sad ???
Keep dreaming.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM

146 posts, read 440,448 times
I wouldn't take information from Wikipedia as totally correct/accurate, as it can be edited by anyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico