Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
There are several 400+ year old communities in NM besides Santa Fe...
I always wonder at the designation when it comes to making claims of oldest "established" communities, in light of the fact that there are places that had seen human habitation continually long before the arrival of Europeans. For example, there has long been a debate about Santa Fe being older than San Augustine, FL. But recorded history is firmly on the side of San Augustine.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
There are two NM pueblos that have been continually inhabited since 1000 AD - Taos & Acoma.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,761 times
Hi all, I am now thinking of moving from CA to New Mexico. I am a senior and I have a life partner. We are coming to live there I hope with my sister in law as well, so there is going to be 3 seniors looking for a better life there then here. Your tax is low compare to our 9.75 we have more shootings in places like San Jose or Oakland which is just a few min from where we are now. You have here more schools closing or having problems with getting supplies for the kids. The poor kids trying to go to college are now having so much trouble thanks to Gov, Brown!! The seniors and kids here are in a bad way thanks to all of the cuts in funds, we have no where to look for any help. All we want to do is live out our lives in peace and not have to be broke doing it... Looking for a nice home or apt with 3 rooms like a seniors resident and our little dog too. You can hate N.M. but don't come here to CA, unless your rich!!!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Actually, it's a two-way street.

Hispanics have lived here for MANY generations, and deeply RESENT the wealthier Anglo newcomers raising their property taxes and talking 'down' to them.
On occasion, that resentment is misdirected against working class Anglos, who are pretty much in the same leaky financial boat that many Hispanics are in.
OTOH, with the usual air of class superiority that wealth often brings, monied Anglo newcomers often look with disdain (if not outright contempt) on the less fortunate Hispanic and Native American population here (poorer whites also).

Steve
Only relatively few hispanics have lived here for MANY generations, many are new arrivals that just showed up and account for the most impoverished hispanics. They really don't mind being talked down to because that's all they knew back in their country. Monied hispanics look down on everyone. It must be a human nature kind of thing.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only relatively few hispanics have lived here for MANY generations, many are new arrivals that just showed up and account for the most impoverished hispanics. They really don't mind being talked down to because that's all they knew back in their country. Monied hispanics look down on everyone. It must be a human nature kind of thing.
Bull pucky. I am a Hispanic and my family has been here for 400 years. Most of the Hispanics I know also can claim this. Most of those that can't are immigrants from Mexico. I know very few Hispanics that have moved here from elsewhere in the US.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM

35 posts, read 103,946 times
Default senior moving to NM

I'd suggest you rent first, get a feel for the area before you buy - the Rio Rancho/Albuquerque area is very diverse in pricing and quality - we just moved to rio rancho from chicago, real estate seems very inexpensive to us, taxes here are absurdly low for property.

House rental is generally for 1 year and about 40% above a mortgage payment. Good luck, climate and people here are extremely nice.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
mommabear - I suggest taking a look at Truth or Consequences just for the climate and general ambience. Take a vacation and stay for a couple of weeks.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,008,490 times
Finding out now that after 6 years here the choice of physicians is becoming very limited in Gallup.
Only one orthopedic Dr. that travels from Phoenix.
Also very limited for other areas of practice as we have to go to Abq for service.

Love the chile, the views we have the wildlife, the stars at night, the peace and quiet.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM

471 posts, read 977,859 times
Likes and dislikes: Have lived in several Lea county locations and one Valencia county location, as well as the cold, restricted upper midwest. Here is my New Mexico list:

The sense of freedom to live how you want, without Big Brother always watching
Red Chili
Much lower tax rate(compared to midwest)
Beautiful weather; even the rain seems more interesting
All the scenic places: I like the mountains, forests, desert scrublands and even the flat oil country too
Cars that don't rust and seem to run forever
Local sense of pride in the state and the things in it
Interesting history that goes back 100's of years and involves so many cultures, governments, and peoples

Dislikes:
No one willing to employ us 50-ish types
High home prices in this Rio Grande Valley area for no real reason
Every type of bug has it's own season
Difficult to fit in unless you lived here for generations
The sense of never knowing when some alcohol-impaired driver might cross the center lane

All in all, I like more than dislike. Have a friend who not so enamoured, she misses family and the midwest alot more than she likes it here..

Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM

91 posts, read 142,181 times
Love the scenery and people.

Hate the slow pace, lack of mass transit, and no pro-sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico