Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 04:18 PM

121 posts, read 120,876 times

Advertisements

I've never been to that part of the state, in transition now and looking to relocate. In researching different towns, I find a number of smaller and affordable homes around there. Was told years ago I'd like it and would fit in with the local "ol hippies" I'm from a colder part of the state and want to go further south. I might even consider renting a while, being as I'm so undecided. I'm retired, not looking for work, but need activity and something to do. Would like to hear from those living/lived there. Likes, dislikes? Is it a friendly community? I make friends easily, but some places are just more open than others. I don't want any more 100 mile round trips to town, like I currently do, so access to a good grocery store, and supplies, is important. Also, safety. Crime? Appreciate your thoughts, ideas and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
We visited T or C for a few days earlier this year. Our impression of the town was a slow paced mostly retirement community facing a slowly declining population. I went for a walk through downtown early (6AM) one morning and thought I was in a ghost town with streetlights. There is a restaurant on Main Street that opens at 7 AM. The local power players meet there every morning. There is a grocery store downtown as well as several touristy shops.

We drove around and noted a number of small homes that seemed to be in decent condition. I suggest taking a trip and look around. The Charles Motor Inn and Spa is a relatively inexpensive motel with hot spring fed soaking tubs in the main building. Riverbend Spa is the fancier setup.

T or C is on our snowbird list if we decide to avoid another New Hampshire winter.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:41 AM

22,962 posts, read 28,406,916 times
Quote:
So, tell me about life in T or C
Imagine the landscape of THE ROAD WARRIOR, only instead of marauding maniacs in monster trucks, you are surrounded by retirees. That is life in T or C.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girldawg1 View Post
Was told years ago I'd like it and would fit in with the local "ol hippies"
Yep.

It's friendly enough and has all the basics. Even a big lake! Low budget, cheap housing. Crime is pretty low for a NM town. Not too far from LC if you want to visit a big town, and the mountains and Gila Forest are easy to access also.

I like it there whenever I've visited.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

7,399 posts, read 19,377,067 times
I've never lived there but I have visited. We like going to soak in the spas.

We walked around town. There are a few thrift store type places. Like one of the other posters said, like a ghost town. It looks kind of run down to me in most of the areas.

You just need to take a trip and see if this is for you.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Like one of the other posters said, like a ghost town. It looks kind of run down to me in most of the areas.
It's a small NM town in the desert, mostly comprised of low budget retirees, hippies, and a few tourists. Of course it looks run down in most areas! If it looked like Taos it wouldn't be cheap. Some things are quite nice though, and it isn't in any way a ghost town.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:07 PM

121 posts, read 120,876 times
Thanks all, I appreciate it. I have noticed stats that the population was going down so that's part of my asking about it. Just have to experience it myself; perceptions are all subjective. Lived in small town NM mountains many years and prefer something that isn't like Taos or Sante Fe

Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,292,576 times
It has two phenomenal restaurants (by southern NM standards anyway) which is odd considering the place. Bella Luca is the best Italian south of Albuquerque by a large margin. I stop in TorC just to eat there at times. Los Arcos is upscale food (steak and seafood) prepared wonderfully at fairly reasonable prices in kinda of dumpy building. It's great though, the pike in particular (which I believe is walleye).

I had a doctor there for a while and she was certainly an old hippy, great lady. She ran around with other old hippies so they are there. A lot of blue collar retirees particularly ones that live to fish. The fishing at the Butte leaves much to be desired IMO, I have caught a few decent fish out of it but few and far between. There is a Walmart but that and the small grocery store are about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: