Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Sterling'so best places list cost of living in Taos at 104 versus 100 ( being the US average.) Albuquerque comes in at 101, Santa Fe at 120
City-data shows a similar relationship, though all come in at below 100. The increased cost of travel is probably not factored in to either calculation. (People in Albuquerque only travel for business or tourism purposes, since all the shopping and medical infrastructure is already here).

Quote:
It seems to me that the "incident" alluded to above had nothing to do with the quality of the hospital.
I think it actually spoke to the quality of the hospital in a positive way. But it also spoke to the quantity of the hospital- 1. If there's an issue with the hospital, or the road out of town, there is no redundancy like in the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,260 times
Default hi again

Zoidberg, I understand what you mean about altitude sickness; I once had altitude sickness at about 13,000 ft., and felt a little shaky at 10,000, but I've found that living where I do (the mountains) really helped me to acclimate to the higher altitudes found out West.

I'm all too familiar with small hospitals and the problem of driving a long way if you're sick, but I'm not willing to live in a big urban area either, just a little bigger than where I am now . . . and perhaps a bit more cosmopolitan.

I agree with CII; that wasn't the hospital's fault.

And yes CII, if I come to Taos, I'll look you up.

Zoidberg, do you or did you live in Taos?

Anyway, I'm trying to tune in to my intuitive processes to figure out what I should do next.

M

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
Default Hello

Terranova1960, did you move to Taos or anywhere in NM Yet? I am thinking about NM also for the dry weather. If you did move, do you like where you are?

Old 08-03-2016, 03:43 PM

201 posts, read 291,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie111957 View Post
Terranova1960, did you move to Taos or anywhere in NM Yet? I am thinking about NM also for the dry weather. If you did move, do you like where you are?
Which state/city are you moving from? We may be able to give you an idea of the contrast/comparison.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 AM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
May I join the conversation?
I may have an opportunity to house sit in Taos this winter, so am hanging on every word here!
I am a life long northern New Englander, so no stranger to winter or snow, but I wonder about the differences in elevation and dryness myself.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
...no stranger to winter or snow, but I wonder about the differences in elevation and dryness myself.
Unless you have health issues, you should experience no problems. Figure on a week to get acclimated to the higher elevation. Dryness is easily alleviated with lotions, eye drops, etc.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
Ok thanks. I do have some health issues, what in particular might be a problem?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM
CII

152 posts, read 224,060 times
First off, Taos is probably one of the top ten cities in the country for orthopedic medicine. (Skiing you know.) Ortopedic problem, check.

Secondly, the air quality is usually excellent (I can clearly see geographic features fifty miles away nearly every day.) Two caveats; First, sometimes in the spring distant (or close occasionally) forest fires send smoke our way. The worst I can remember, five or six years ago, visibility down to three miles and yellow air. This cleared up after a couple of days we stayed inside. The elevation might be a problem. Taos is at 7,000 feet. Our house is at 8,000 feet and we don't notice. We once flew into Tibet and landed in a valley at 13,000 feet and that didn't bother us so your mileage may vary. Respiratory problem, maybe check.

Thirdly, basic medical problems. We have a doctor we like though our regular physician is about 600 miles away in our winter home town. Interestingly the Hospital here gets a grade of "C" from whatever organization it is that grades hospitals. What's interesting about that is that the hospital in our winter home town, population over 100,000 and a university town also gets a grade of "C." Basic medical problems, probably check.

Fourth, major medical problems, we are about one and a quarter hours by car from Santa Fe, another hour from Albuquerque. Roads do close in the winter but we have three primary routes to Santa Fe. They go through different terrain. One is the "high" road I would expect to be the most likely to close, the other two are on opposite sides of the Rio Grande and separated by tens of miles and the Rio Grande gorge. Of course a major winter storm could close all three. But honestly, that size storm could keep you from getting from your Albuquerque condo to the hospital. Major medical maybe check, medical emergency, who knows?

I would be glad to try and answer specific questions you might choose to direct to me. Six years living just north of Taos, May through October.

CII

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
If you're from New England, you'll love Taos! Very quaint, very other-worldly, in a good way, compared to what you're used to, due to the adobe-style architecture and the local Taos pueblo. (Be sure to check out their winter ceremonies Xmas through Epiphany, "King's Day".) The town is full of art galleries to browse, and some museums and historic sites. If you're free to take a winter house-sitting gig in Taos, I'd jump at the opportunity, if I were you.

And btw, winters have been much milder in northern NM the last few years. In Santa Fe, we used to get a foot of snow piling up, frequently. Now the snow is light and sparse, is any at all. Taos probably gets more than Santa Fe, but still, my guess is that it's nothing like it used to be 20 years ago, and certainly nothing like what you're used to, in your area. Also, it depends on where the house you'll be sitting is located. Some are outside of town at a higher elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico