Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 AM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times

Advertisements

The cheeseburger looks beautiful, but I don't know how my stomach would react!

I've been curious. Does it take new New Mexicans awhile to get used to the chile? When we visited last summer, I had some chile my first couple of days, and then I had to take it easy. It amazes me how New Mexicans eat it on everything--and I mean everything! I'm wondering if after I live there awhile, I'll get hooked. Like, maybe I'll go back SE to visit my family, and I'll be looking for the chile. "Hey, can I have some chile on those grits?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:33 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post

I've been curious. Does it take new New Mexicans awhile to get used to the chile? When we visited last summer, I had some chile my first couple of days, and then I had to take it easy. It amazes me how New Mexicans eat it on everything--and I mean everything! I'm wondering if after I live there awhile, I'll get hooked. Like, maybe I'll go back SE to visit my family, and I'll be looking for the chile. "Hey, can I have some chile on those grits?"
Yes, you do get used to it. I remember how surprised I was when I finally could taste beyond the "hot" to the flavor of different kinds of chiles.

Only in New Mexico will you see people freely blowing their noses in a restaurant, eyes streaming, with that happy chile look.

~clairz

Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I agree with Clairz, it took me about 1 month to get used to it. However, after the harvest in August, the chiles get pretty powerful in the Mesilla Valley. I had a batch I thawed out and put on cheeseburgers about a month ago, and those were 'over the top'. I have to say it is pretty variable, but I can handle about 90% of the chile heat with no problem.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Yes, you do get used to it. I remember how surprised I was when I finally could taste beyond the "hot" to the flavor of different kinds of chiles.

Only in New Mexico will you see people freely blowing their noses in a restaurant, eyes streaming, with that happy chile look.

~clairz
LOL!!!!

What is funny is that I am having to ASK for something with any bite here in southern NM. The sauce they bring to the table is usually so bland as to have no discernible hotness at all.....

I guess I've had my food so highly spiced and hot in TX for so long that I need my fix....

I am delighted when I run into some really hot chile on a green chile cheeseburger, because the other ingredients blunt the bite so much!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
My mouth is just watering.....

People here rave about Blake's LotaBurger green chile cheeseburgers....so far, it runs the gamut from very good to outright lousy, depending on who is doing the cooking/preparing.

I've never seen a place so inconsistent.

I wish I could find a great green chile cheese burger that I didn't have to make myself.....I cook a LOT here at home because most of the restaurants are so mediocre so far.
Cathy,

Living in Alamogordo, what is your opinion of Hi-De-Ho, in comparsion to Blake's?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Cathy,

Living in Alamogordo, what is your opinion of Hi-De-Ho, in comparsion to Blake's?
IMHO, when Blake's is good, it's better than Hi-Di-Ho, even though the one Tiger Burger I had was pretty good.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM

48 posts, read 223,701 times
New Mexico foods, carne adovada, sopaipillas, biscochits, empandas, can anyone tell me what these foods are or have any recepies for making them.I would like to try to make them.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post

I did the same thing after living in Louisiana for a while - I put hot sauce on tons of stuff now, especially eggs. Didn't have any this morning and ended up tossing the scrambled eggs...just didn't taste right w/o the hot sauce Green chiles in scrambled eggs are great too (with hot sauce, of course).

Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 AM

203 posts, read 714,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
New Mexico foods, carne adovada, sopaipillas, biscochits, empandas, can anyone tell me what these foods are or have any recepies for making them.I would like to try to make them.
Carne Adovada is meat, usually pork roast, marinated and roasted in an adobo sauce. Sopaipilla is a fried bread made with an active wheat flour dough so it puffs when fried and holds air pockets ( good for filling with chile or honey). Biscochitos are shortbread-like cookies similar to wedding cookies, often flavored with anise. Empanadas are Spanish in origin and appear in many forms all over Latin America. They are pastry turnovers, similar to British pub pasties, they can come sweet or savory; deep fried, pan fried or baked. In NM you are likely to see them filled with spicy ground beef or chicken, sweet potato, pumpkin and mincemeat. Other classics are apple, tuna and caper, lamb and onion etc etc.

here's a link to some recipes from PNM
Foods of New Mexico

Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 PM

203 posts, read 714,136 times
Last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent- and the beginning of restaurants offering little known traditional Northern NM Lenten dishes

Salmon Cakes, Verdolagas (sauteed purslane), Quelites (wild spinach or spinach), Natillas (a soft, spiced custard), Panocha (a caramelized malted wheat pudding)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico