Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I roast them and then freeze them with the skin, stems, and seeds still intact. I peel as I go when I get them out of the freezer. It makes the whole process a little less intimidating when dealing with large volumes.
I did this for years, then I later started removing the stems prior to roasting. They stored better this way, and when they were home-roasted right, the skins slipped off like a glove when they thawed.

If the skin is too charred (as drum roasting often does, as well as home), they're a lot messier to peel.

I'll pick up a few fresh chiles at Walmart later....and see how well the freezing raw works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
In years past, I used to order my green chile by specific variety (usually half NM 6-4 and half Sandía) from Las Uvas Produce in Hatch. I'd roast about 40 pounds stovetop....it took awhile, but it was worth it in the end.

Last summer, I bought a 25-lb box of mild green chile from Hatch, and the chile was fairly fresh and decent...BUT......I had it roasted on the spot at Lowe's....took it home....and vacuum-sealed it....and into the freezer.

I made a pot of green chile stew for supper...and while it is good, I really don't care for green chile roasted this way, even though it is a convenient time-saver.

The drum roasting cooks the chile too much for me....the charred skin is harder to get off....and the chiles are slimy and too soft.

I have tried quick frying them...and while this works well for chiles that you are going to use immediately, it's not so great when you want to bag and freeze for the season. Deep, quick frying them preserves the great color, and the chiles stay fairly fresh and firm......but you can taste the grease when you thaw them, even though you peel them before bagging.

I guess I'll be doing them by hand next season, so I can have a thick, fresh chile...rather than an overcooked, slimy one...

*SIGH*

I am considering buying a small home drum roaster....has anyone here ever
tried one?
I roast my chiles by cutting the stems off and putting them on the bar-b-que, I use charcoal grill. Then I pack and freeze

Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
I roast my chiles by cutting the stems off and putting them on the bar-b-que, I use charcoal grill. Then I pack and freeze
It does give them a wonderful flavor, doesn't it??

I picked up a few fresh chiles (they were BEAUTIFUL) at Lowe's today....and put them in the freezer.

I'll thaw and roast....to see how they turn out in a few days!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 PM

203 posts, read 714,509 times
Just went back through the thread to make sure... but no one has mentioned Frito Pie
Pancho's in Pecos makes a great one- get it with red

Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Just went back through the thread to make sure... but no one has mentioned Frito Pie
Pancho's in Pecos makes a great one- get it with red
You mean they serve Frito pie (I am assuming this is a pile of Fritos topped with chili [as in TX bowl of red], onions and cheddar cheese) in restaurants???

The only time I ever had a Frito pie was at concession stands at football/basketball games in Texas....!!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
You mean they serve Frito pie (I am assuming this is a pile of Fritos topped with chili [as in TX bowl of red], onions and cheddar cheese) in restaurants???

The only time I ever had a Frito pie was at concession stands at football/basketball games in Texas....!!
NM style is a pile of fritos, topped with meat, choice of chile, cheese, onions and "garnish"- chopped lettuce and tomato. A little more "healthy" than the slit bag dolloped with a ladle of Texas Red (I grew up in the Panhandle... don't fergit you get it at rodeos,too... a year 'round concession treat)

Had some for lunch today at JB's Original Tortilla Cone on the Las Vegas Plaza, they do a good red but use canned cheese- lose ten points

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
NM style is a pile of fritos, topped with meat, choice of chile, cheese, onions and "garnish"- chopped lettuce and tomato. A little more "healthy" than the slit bag dolloped with a ladle of Texas Red (I grew up in the Panhandle... don't fergit you get it at rodeos,too... a year 'round concession treat)

Had some for lunch today at JB's Original Tortilla Cone on the Las Vegas Plaza, they do a good red but use canned cheese- lose ten points
Canned cheese??? LOLOLOL!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Canned cheese??? LOLOLOL!!!
Yeah... the shortcuts people choose astound me. Why used canned when you can get real cheese pre-shredded at about the same cost?

Pancho's in Pecos is an NM classic. It is the Shell station at the state hwy crossroads. You order with the station clerk and the food is made fresh to order. The kitchen is spotless, the food is fresh and well prepared- the place is a little gem. They serve their Frito pie with your choice of beef, grilled chicken, beans or- no kidding- tofu. They are only 30 miles from Santa Fe...

Old 02-22-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah... the shortcuts people choose astound me. Why used canned when you can get real cheese pre-shredded at about the same cost?

Pancho's in Pecos is an NM classic. It is the Shell station at the state hwy crossroads. You order with the station clerk and the food is made fresh to order. The kitchen is spotless, the food is fresh and well prepared- the place is a little gem. They serve their Frito pie with your choice of beef, grilled chicken, beans or- no kidding- tofu. They are only 30 miles from Santa Fe...
They do aim to please, LOL!! That does sound tasty, though, minus the tofu, which has no taste.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM

265 posts, read 809,211 times
Oh man, now I'm craving a Frito pie!

I've just posted a Green Chile Stew recipe on my blog. This is my own “local gringos” version of New Mexico green chile stew, diverging from traditional recipes in two respects: I add potatoes, and I don’t use tomatoes. (Why would a green chile stew be red?)

Anyway, it's here: Local Gringos: Postmodern Pioneers: What’s For Dinner? Local Gringos’ Green Chile Stew (http://tinyurl.com/cdao29 - broken link) ... comments welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico