Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Here is a map where most brown recluse spiders are living in our country.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/Map-BrownRecluse.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 AM

14 posts, read 58,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
... rattlers are wonderful creatures, often misunderstood and targeted for mindless annihilation by idiots who know nothing about them.
Whoa-up, there, Steve-o! If you ever have the misfortune to observe the effect of a rattlesnake bite on a human child... or even on a colt in a pasture with its momma-mare... you will be less judgemental of people who kill rattlesnakes on sight.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Son View Post
Whoa-up, there, Steve-o! If you ever have the misfortune to observe the effect of a rattlesnake bite on a human child... or even on a colt in a pasture with its momma-mare... you will be less judgemental of people who kill rattlesnakes on sight.
Ive seen the effects of a rattlesnake bite on kids, and its not fun. However, you moved into THEIR territory, dont kill rattlesnakes just because you think theyre an inconvenience. As for snake bites to colts, its just part of nature. You cant fault the snake nor the colt, as snakes bite when provoked and colts are quite playful/curious (as are human babies), hence why alot of bites occur to them.

Instead of killing the snake, get yourself a long set of tongs (can be ordered through snake hook manufacturers such as Reptile Supplies, Aquarium, Dog, Cat, Small Pet Supply Products Shipped Same Day - Big Apple Pet Supply or tongs.com Home Page – snake tongs,snake hooks,snake handling equipment,reptile handling equipment,tongs,hooks,equipment, and simply put the snake in a bucket and relocate it. Be sure to first practice hooking/grabbing on non-venomous snakes before you try to deal with a venomous snake. Theres no need to destroy an innocent animal just because you dont like them around.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 94,469 times
native son thats not true accidents happen you can't kill something mindlessly because you had a bad experience. If a dog bit you would start to killing dogs? Just like with sharks there are less than 100 shark bites in the whole world a year but people kill them just because there quote on quote dangerous. Well guess what we don't live in the water leave them alone. As for snake bites guess what 70% of venomous snake bites include achool i can assure you that the snakes were not the ones drinking. instead of going the weak route educate your self learn where they like to dwell so you don't leave things laying around your house so they want to live there. you also will be able to educate you kids presumably if their old enough to talk and learn but if there to young well you will be educated and you have to be educated one for them.
there is a cause and effect to every thing this must be understood. If you kill off and important predator you leave its prey unchecked like rodents and rabbits then there destroy crops and spread disease. Just look at what happened in a town in Australia they had your cool idea and killed all the snakes because 85% of Australian snakes are venomous. Do you know what happened an out of control rodent infestation made a ghost town. SO PLEASE DON'T BE SO MINDLESS OF WHAT YOU DO EVEN IF YOU KILLED THEM AT A STEADY RATE THE WOULD BE AROUND FOR YEARS!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Great post, boomslang (<--- sweet snake)!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM

28 posts, read 94,469 times
Thanks Steve-o the Boomslang is my favorite snake

Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,464 times
Rattlesnakes are beautiful!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
you can say they are beautiful, they eat rodents or whatever you want: I do not want anything like rattel snakes, recluse spiders or black widows hanging around my house. Last year I kept knocking down a spider web on the fense behind my veggie garden. About 1/2 through the summer I was picking beans when the huge black Widow appeared. It was her web I kept breaking up. When we had our house sprayed a few weeks later the guy found about 10 o12 black widows. I want nothing to do with any creatures that would just as soon bite me as look at me.

Nita

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,462 times
Default Centepedes

I have had big, fast centepedes in my Rivers Edge III home in Rio Rancho Went to Home Depot to get something to combat them with and everyone that waited on me told me they had them in their house and even in Home depot. I got up one morning and before I had a chance to put on my eye glasses, I thought I saw a snake moving out of the room. It was a centepede but the left to right movement made me initially seeing blind think it was a snake.

The MOST GROSS place to find a centepede so far for me is twice when I reached in the washing machine. I always look first now.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:48 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times
Thumbs up I'm Rootin' For The Snakes!

Steve-o, as usual, I'm in total agreement with you. The human race suffers from monumental hubris and collectively feels everything and anything must clear a gilded path for our inevitable depradations and environmental blunders. It's been a downhill slide for this wondrous planet ever since the first australopithicus cluched a stone in his or her unwashed mitts! I'm rootin' for the snakes!

P.S. One of the primary reasons we are moving to a far less populous part of NM (as opposed to this miserable Skinner-box-Denver) is to escape the noisome stench of seemingly numberless humanity. To paraphrase Agent Smith from the first Matrix flick: I can't stand this place...this zoo...it's the smell! This relentless and insightful character also observed how like a destructive virus humanity is when unfettered. Couldn't agree more

Last edited by dracul; 02-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Nature rocks...humanity does not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico