Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 PM

180 posts, read 274,142 times

Advertisements

Dear forum readers,

I will be adding to this thread as things develop, but for now I want to at least get the ball rolling and hopefully get some feedback to aid the planning of the trip.

I plan to drive from Chicago to New Mexico so that I arrive around June 16. The flamenco festival in ABQ is ending on the 18th, and I hope to get a ticket for that night's performance. My father is going to fly to ABQ, possibly that very day (June 18), and spend roughly 9-10 nights before flying out (logically from ABQ, since it's the cheapest place in NM for Chicago flights).

While I've gone through Lonely Planet's entire section on New Mexico, I haven't yet prioritized my own ideas, but I will be staying in the SW after my father leaves (heading to AZ and beyond), so I should be able to do even more NM stuff after he leaves if anything gets left out.

1 Which less-than-obvious stops/things to see and do do you recommend between Chicago and ABQ? I have an eye towards highway driving and the St. Louis/Springfield, MO/near Tulsa/Amarillo route. Any tips for small towns, attractions, food, etc. would be great.

2 Admittedly, this is a very rough skeleton of an itinerary during my father's stay based on what interests him. A bit of background: I'm in my thirties, I love hot weather/the sunshine (am currently working in the Gulf), I'm very active/sporty, and I love travel/meeting people/taking tours of places/learning about history and culture/studying languages (ex. I'm fluent in Spanish, in relation to many NM residents I should encounter). My father is mid-sixties and in good health and shape, but though he's interested in the beauty of NM, he claims he doesn't want to do half-day+ hikes; the longest hike on his idea list is 8 miles. Also, he seems to be "okay" with driving to places, looking around on the way, and then having just some time at each destination. For example, he said that he's okay with seeing White Sands instead of getting out and doing lots of walking there.

What do you think of this preliminary lineup as far as time/sights? I am open to all suggestions.

Sat/Sun- ABQ
Mon- Santa Fe
Tu- Taos (and Capulin Monument)
Wed- Las Vegas, sleep in Carlsbad
Th-Carlsbad, Roswell, sleep in Lincoln
Fr-Cloudcroft, White Sands, sleep near El Malpais
Sat.-El Morro, Grants
Sun- Chaco Canyon, Mt. Taylor
Mon- maybe time at a Native American reservation near ABQ, sleep in ABQ
Tues- last day for him (perhaps)- fly out of ABQ

I am very grateful, in advance, for your comments. I hope to add more shortly.

Best,
Creo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 PM

887 posts, read 1,221,111 times
Quite a whirlwind but I guess doable if you keep a focus with tunnel vision while driving. The first time I took another person out with me she had these grand plans and stop by stop itinerary on a drive from ABQ to White Sands. I only suggested we take the nicer route east of the Manzanos. By the time she threw in stops at this picnic area in the Manzanos, Abo ruins, and the other nearby we barely got to White Sands by sunset at 8pm.

Your El Morrow and Grants (bluffs? sunset?) sounds very doable without wearing yourself out.
Chaco/Mt. Taylor. They may look close but they do not drive 'close'
White Sands to El Malpais is kind of a haul .
Ya know, unless you don't ever plan on getting back to NM I would just pick one quadrant and ENJOY it. People can easily spend days just exploring Hgy 4.

If you want to get an easy hike in near ABQ I would strongly suggest Elena Gallegos off Tramway. For forty some times it's been my first and last stop to get my quick desert fix asap.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:00 PM

4,905 posts, read 4,855,326 times
Santa Fe to Taos is 1 1/2-2 hours, assuming no stops, Taos to Raton is 2-2 1/2 hours depending on traffic, assuming no stops. Raton to Las Vegas is 1 1/2- 2 hours, no stops. Depending on how you split those legs, you may not have much time for other things.

I agree with threecats on Chaco. You could easily spend a whole day there. I've never gone in from 371, only from 550. I expect that road from 371 is a whole lot more than a two track and take some time, just watch for someone herding sheep across the road since it's not fenced. You should also plan a 2-3 hour trip back from Chaco to ABQ.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,489,614 times
Just a thought, if you are planning on visiting a Native American pueblo/reservation, you might want to try at least to check if it is 'open' to the public at the time of your visit. Visitors are often not allowed entrance if it is a time of some celebration/ritual.

This is just my experience. Anyone else here have any input?

Here's a blog on the subject;

Can I Visit the Reservations?

Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,377,067 times
Most of my family is in the St. Louis area so driving from St. Louis to Springfield, there isn't a lot to do but it's a nice pleasant drive. About halfway, there are a couple of shops.....one sells great fudge and all different kinds of it. There is also another shop that has nice souvenirs and foods made locally. I will recommend the raspberry chipotle ketchup. Yummy to use as a dip and for burgers.

As far as St. Louis and Springfield itself, they have some good places to eat. Outside Springfield is some good hiking, rivers, fishing and I don't have to tell you about Branson. That's a blast with all the shows and sightseeing.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM

887 posts, read 1,221,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Santa Fe to Taos is 1 1/2-2 hours, assuming no stops, Taos to Raton is 2-2 1/2 hours depending on traffic, assuming no stops. Raton to Las Vegas is 1 1/2- 2 hours, no stops. Depending on how you split those legs, you may not have much time for other things.

I agree with threecats on Chaco. You could easily spend a whole day there. I've never gone in from 371, only from 550. I expect that road from 371 is a whole lot more than a two track and take some time, just watch for someone herding sheep across the road since it's not fenced. You should also plan a 2-3 hour trip back from Chaco to ABQ.
Yes. Leaving Chaco to get to 371 was a pretty long haul over dirt before you hit pavement. You can't beat the scenery along 550 anyway. It's funny how many times I flew right past O'Keeffe's "Black Place" on that road not even knowing before I finally stopped and went in.

Anyway...have fun on your trip!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
I have visited NM several times. I think you proposed trip includes too much in too little time. I suggest you get a copy of the Benchmark "New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas" and use it to help you arrange a simpler trip. Also get maps from the State Tourist office.
As you will be driving from Chicago you could enter NM from the East along I-40 or from the Denver area on I-25. I would prefer, mostly because we have not visited NE NM, the I-40 route.

Once in NM I would look at the tourist places within 50 or so miles of the interstate. From my research staying at a classic hotel in Tucumcari is a good idea. I-40 goes directly to Albuquerque and all that offers. The Sandia Peak Tram is a really neat thing to do. Santa Fe is available by taking the Railrunner train.

We plan on visiting New Mexico again. We may drive from our home in New Hampshire instead of flying in to Albuquerque and renting a car. Last time we spent a few days at an old Hot spring resort in Truth or consequences and enjoyed visiting places from Silver city to Las Cruces. The drive from T or C to Silver over the Black Range on Rt 152 is astounding.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,994,139 times
You route looks like a delivery route kind of speed. NM is known to make people relax slow down. Do the same.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
With your itinerary as planned, you're looking at mostly sitting in a car all day long and seeing very little of what each place has to offer. Several of your "one day" drives verge on being torturous, especially the Taos-Capucin in a day one. If your intent is to be able to say you have "seen" all those places - with no attempt to actually get acquainted with them - then your itinerary "could" be doable. I'd hate to be the one trying it.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Just a thought, if you are planning on visiting a Native American pueblo/reservation, you might want to try at least to check if it is 'open' to the public at the time of your visit. Visitors are often not allowed entrance if it is a time of some celebration/ritual.

This is just my experience. Anyone else here have any input?

Here's a blog on the subject;

Can I Visit the Reservations?
These references are New Mexico specific:
New Mexico Indian Affairs Department - History
https://www.newmexico.org/native-american/
Might consider The Pueblo of Jemez on the way to Jemez Springs for a short trip from ABQ. The Pueblo of Jemez is a federally recognized tribe located in north-central New Mexico, approximately 50 miles northwest of Albuquerque. We are one of the remaining 19 pueblos of New Mexico, encompassing over 89,000 acres of land and home to over 3,400 tribal members. The people of Jemez cherish their ancestral traditions, and are proud to integrate their culture with modern society. Explore our Walatowa Visitor Center and Museum of History and Culture website to learn about Towa culture and traditions. The Welcome to the Walatowa Visitor Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico