Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 AM

45 posts, read 104,062 times

Advertisements

I've read all the fishing threads and found the information sketchy at best, so I decided to start a new thread that may be more comprehensive.

I am a professional fly fisherman. I make a living as an outfitter and guide on the Missouri River in Montana. Almost every fly fisher knows about the San Juan, and I fished it once several years ago. I would like to discuss the fishing in places other than the San Juan.

For warm water fishing I would probably concentrate in the 100 mile area around Las cruces.

I have a great desire to catch a striper as that is one species I've never had the opportunity at.

Is there any fishing in the Rio Grande below the big reservoirs? Floating in an inflatable or kayak?

I assume there would be catfish,bass, walley, and carp and sunfish in the river. Would that be correct?

Since I want to retire to Southern New Mexico (most likely Las Cruces) I will most likely be fishing the big lakes often.

From what I've read, E Butte and Caballo offer Striped Bas, White Bass, Largemouth Bass, Catfish, Sunfish, Carp and Suckers. (did I miss anything)

Even though we have our own boats I would probably hire a guide for a few trips to learn the techniques used for Stripers and walleye.

Are New Mexico fishing guides licensed by the state?

Are the guides on the lakes Coast Guard licensed?

(I've looked all NM Gov websites and can't find info on fishing guide requirements)( am NOT looking to be a guide in NM, I want to retire!)

I fished Lake Roberts as a kid and it was strictly a trout lake. I understand it now has bass and walleye too?
We fished Bear Lake for Bullheads. I can't remember fishing Bill Evans lake.

Aside from the Rio Grande, Chama and San Juan, Are there any other decent trout streams closer to LC? I do no about the Gila River but haven't heard how the fishing is for trout. (I fished it near the Cliff Dwellings a few years ago(Got skunked).

So any discussion and information about fishing in New Mexico would be welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
This inquiry would probably get better responses if moved to the New Mexico general forum.

Have you seen this web site?

New Mexico's Best Fly Fishing Rivers and Streams

Also:

Fishing - New Mexico Department of Game & Fish

Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
Here's a couple more links that might be helpful:

- FE - Tails of Enchantment (free online NM fishing magazine)

- http://www.mvff.org/ (Mesilla Valley Flyfishers)

Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
Nice thread! Lot of questions though so I'll answer within the quote in bold. I'm not the be all end all of fisherman but it is a passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccruce pershing View Post

For warm water fishing I would probably concentrate in the 100 mile area around Las cruces.

I have a great desire to catch a striper as that is one species I've never had the opportunity at.

I've caught a few on topwaters and that is a blast. More for the wild strike than the fight IMO. There are whipers too (striper/white hybrid) that don't get so big but have more fight. 15 years ago or so it was phenomenal striper fishing at the Butte. It's slowed some and it's been awhile since I've seen any notice of a big fish being caught.

I assume there would be catfish,bass, walley, and carp and sunfish in the river. Would that be correct?

Yes, that about rounds it out. In the winter, when there is an outflow from the Butte they stock it with rainbows.

Since I want to retire to Southern New Mexico (most likely Las Cruces) I will most likely be fishing the big lakes often.

From what I've read, E Butte and Caballo offer Striped Bas, White Bass, Largemouth Bass, Catfish, Sunfish, Carp and Suckers. (did I miss anything)

There are smallies in both lakes too and crappie in the Butte.

Even though we have our own boats I would probably hire a guide for a few trips to learn the techniques used for Stripers and walleye.

That's what I did, for the stripers anyway. Walleye is either jigging a minnow or bottom bouncing while trolling.

Are New Mexico fishing guides licensed by the state?

Are the guides on the lakes Coast Guard licensed?

(I've looked all NM Gov websites and can't find info on fishing guide requirements)( am NOT looking to be a guide in NM, I want to retire!)

I fished Lake Roberts as a kid and it was strictly a trout lake. I understand it now has bass and walleye too?
We fished Bear Lake for Bullheads. I can't remember fishing Bill Evans lake.

Aside from the Rio Grande, Chama and San Juan, Are there any other decent trout streams closer to LC? I do no about the Gila River but haven't heard how the fishing is for trout. (I fished it near the Cliff Dwellings a few years ago(Got skunked).

I go to the white mountains in AZ for trout fishing. Trolling the lakes (Big Lake, Crescent etc) and the stream fishing (fly or spincast) is good too. Black River in particular. It's about 4 hours which is as close as you'll find quality trout fishing.

So any discussion and information about fishing in New Mexico would be welcome
It's not the best place to live for a fisherman. I've accepted that. It will be a big downgrade on those terms for you. At least so far as quality fishing goes. You'll have to drive. Even the warm water isn't the best. I don't know what they do different, but the lakes in Texas (even as far west as San Angelo and Del Rio are much more productive. I've had a lot of skunkings at the Butte for the few good trips I've had. White bass are the most abundant. They taste good too and when you get on a school it's a blast.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
It's been m-a-n-y years ago, so I have no idea how it is today. But when I was a young man living in El Paso, one of my favorite things to do was an annual fishing trip with my dad and uncles to Guaymas, Mexico. It was a long drive but doable in a day. We used to stay in a motel in Nogales, AZ before crossing the border the next day. The return trip, with the fish packed down in coolers full of dry ice, was made in a single day. One cooler was always filled with shrimp we bought off the shrimpers in Guaymas.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:22 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
Excellent point Joqua. Some decent saltwater fishing that's very inexpensive is a lot closer than people think. I have fun reeling in trigger fish and snappers in Puerto Penasco. Fun eating them too. And it's not that far away at all, we do the drive to PP straight through in 8 hours.

This reminds me that within a day's drive you can also be on some of the best bass lakes in the whole world in Mexico. There are a number of them stocked with Florida strain. I had the opportunity to fish at Novillo a couple years back and it was everything I dreamed of. 3 to 5 pounders all day with an 8 lb+ hog thrown in.

I love bass fishing and really got into it for a while when I was younger. I wish Caballo and the Butte were better fisheries. I do understand that NMGFD is now managing the Butte for black bass and not for stripers, maybe it will finally get better.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 AM

356 posts, read 502,831 times
BCC: Did you ever end up fishing any of these waters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico