Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM

206 posts, read 535,516 times

Advertisements

There's a good book named "To Animas With Love", all about life in the "Bootheel' in the "good old days". Quite a history. Also, "A Hundred years of Horse Tracks", all about the Gray Ranch in the Bootheel, one of the countries largest ranches with ties to the old Tombstone characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,718 times
There is a lot of illegal activity going on in the Bootheel, narcotics trafficing, and illegal immigration; nonetheless, beautiful!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
jaxart: I wouldn't be overly trusting of strangers in any sparsely populated area. My CHL is valid in NM, and you can bet I take advantage of it. I doubt that the Antelope Wells-Hachita area has ever been completely 'tamed'. I regard it as being the way it probably was 120 years ago in essence.

BTW: Is Antelope Wells anything more than a border crossing?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,054 times
Went to Antelope wells first time in 1987, #81 was dirt from Big Hatchet Peak on down. Entered the U.s. from El Berendo twice. I found the road to the Hatchet ranch twelve miles south of Hatchita of more interest. /the road passes the /hatchet ranch proper follows the Hatchet mountains about 12 miles and south to a place called the Menges (sp?) pasture. Road turns east and runs to the border fence. About 100 yards north is an unmarked unguarded (but ground sensored) gate that crosses in to Mexico. I crossed there and drove on through the little farm settlement of El camello and on to Ascension Chihuahua but that was ten years ago. I don't think I'd get caught messing around out there today.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM

That's interesting, but I'd still like to know whether Antelope Wells is anything more than a border crossing. I'd guess the answer is no. I don't think I'd want to go into Mexico these days (unless it was to a seaside resort such as Cancun).

Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

507 posts, read 2,062,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That's interesting, but I'd still like to know whether Antelope Wells is anything more than a border crossing. I'd guess the answer is no. I don't think I'd want to go into Mexico these days (unless it was to a seaside resort such as Cancun).

To answer your question - yes, Antelope Wells is basically a border crossing and not much else except a dot on the map. May 2009 drove from Janos, Mx. to A-Wells, passed through the Port of Entry. There are two structures, one the U.S. Port of Entry - a small office, and the other next door is a small house, presumably for the CBP workers to stay when on duty at the PofE. On the Chihuahua side about 30 yards to the south are three structures, looks like two homes and the Mexican aduana office. In the surrounding area on Hwy. 81, you'll see an occasional ranch house or shed, livestock or horses here and there. It seems relatively safe on the U.S. side as there is a DHS C-130 flying overhead patrolling the bootheel and border patrol trucks everywhere. Don't think I'll be returning to that part of Chihuahua/Sonora anytime soon, don't wanna disappear.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the response. That's about as I expected. I'm not sure what "aduana" means, but I'll look it up. Is Highway 81 now paved all the way to Antelope Wells? I'd like to ride my motorcycle down thataway someday. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,039 times
Aduana means "customs"

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Gracias! I should have guessed.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Never guess when you can ask.

Looks like three years before I retire. In the meantime I will work on designing a stand alone combined heat and electric power system based on a vegie oil fueled diesel. The trick will be making it relativly inexpensive and reliable. The "Bootheel" would be an ideal location for a remote dwelling using a CHP unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico