Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM

507 posts, read 2,062,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Thanks for the response. That's about as I expected. I'm not sure what "aduana" means, but I'll look it up. Is Highway 81 now paved all the way to Antelope Wells? I'd like to ride my motorcycle down thataway someday. Thanks again!

Hey no problem, it's a great drive if you ever do it, on a motorbike even better. Should also check out Hwy. 9 between Columbus, Hatchita and Animas, all the way to Rodeo, NM to AZ border. On a late summer early evening the views are stunning.

Yes, 81 is paved between Hatchita and A-Wells. If you venture into Chihuahua (border to Mx. Hwy 2), that road from the border is not paved and kind of rough on the suspension (rocks, potholes). Personally, I wouldn't do it these days, just feel too uneasy, don't want to cross the wrong person.

Anyway, for those thinking about camping in the bootheel, check out this great article:

Desert Exposure July 2010 Car Camping

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
No way would I continue into Mexico! The Bootheel is plenty big for me to explore.

My ideal residence would be a mostly underground house, built into a hillside.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,339 times
Some friends of mine and I were discussing houses like that a couple days ago. While I understand
the advantages, I just really like a lot of windows so, at least for me, one would have to have a
large glass wall facing outward or perhaps an upper story with a good view..

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM

Perhaps I've simply lived in Tornado Alley too long. But the utilities would be so much cheaper, too. Plus, as a musician, I could practice late at night and have a recording studio which no one would be bothered by and which also would be insulated from outside sounds.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,055 times
Default Pictures of Antelope Wells POE

Picutres of the POE are posted on: Google Earth and Panoramio

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Thanks. I'll have a look. The only problem is that once I get on Google Earth, I usually spend a couple of hours taking a virtual vacation!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

I had a look. It didn't show much, but there isn't much to show.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Antelope Wells from Mexico Hwy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Anyone ever drive this route? I'm a weekend-warrior amateur photographer in my old Toyota truck and will embark from El Paso/Juarez to Ascension to Janos and then back into U.S. at Antelope Wells. I can't imagine that Port of Entry gets much business (maybe an elk or two), but I want to learn more about Hwy. 81. Anyone . . . ?
Coming up from Mexico highway #2 you must watch carefully for the sign "antelope Wells" as it's just a dirt road going off into the brush land. Never, got a peep out of the Mexicans coming north at customs but U.S. side can be thurough. Seems many thought this out of the way border crossing to be an easy place to cross countraband. The port of entry is getting a complete make over: $15.6 Million dollars worth. I guess they are going to expand services for commercial traffic. Road is paved north of the border. Great drive and you'll see few travelers. I would think many photo ops. off the road, but land use is very restricted. Alamo Hueco on your right and Grey ranch on your left should not be accessed with out permission.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Default new POE at Antelope Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
I was out there a couple of years ago for a few days, kicking around the Bootheel. Didn't make it all the way to Wells; turned around about halfway there. It was so empty I just stopped my car in the middle of the road to get out and take pictures.

Drove back and forth on 9 too, from the Arizona state line to Columbus. Utterly beautiful country. There's a place on 9 just west of Hachita where the Continental Divide crosses the road twice in less than a mile. It's not signed there and easy to miss, but kind of a unique geographical phenomenon nonetheless.

I talked to some people in Hachita who told me that the POE was going to be enlarged to lend itself better to commercial traffic. I'd be curious to know if that ever happened.

And this time of year the weather is perfect. Spend a few days there. You'll love it!
Work has begun on the new POE. Infact there is a youTube video of the new 15.6 million dollar station improvement under construction posted recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico