Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
There was a great chance last night that the coroner would have dialed up my family. My father in Ohio suffered a seriously debilitating stroke (the one we least expected to fall ill) in August making the family situation stressful, and the last thing they would have needed to hear is that their son, brother, uncle, nephew was killed in a head on accident along with his wife.

Last night my wife and I were leaving Roswell, driving along the business district road going towards Rt70 to go back to Portales. Driving at about 45 mph in the dark on that 4 lane road with a concrete berm/island dividing 2 way traffic, I was in the right lane. Not even 200 feet in front of me did I realize that there were headlights coming at me.It took a second to click in my mind that he was not supposed to be there. By the time I jerked the wheel to the right to make space, that guy, either drunk, directionally stupid or both, maintained "his" right lane and passed right by us.

So I guess when they tell you to keep right, there is an added bonus of keeping safe in doing that if someone thinks its a two way street and is really heading in the wrong direction
Last month, I was driving at legal speed, on the right side of the road, on a four lane highway in Indiana in a beautiful afternoon and with very light traffic. Then suddenly, I was rear ended by someone who did exactly what you have described. Because it was day time, I couldn't see the warning headlights approaching me from behind. When I'm driving, I normally watch the road ahead of me to make sure is clear and keep enough distance from the vehicle ahead of me, so that I can stop in time in case he stops. Now, I'll have to watch what is going on behind me as well. The last thing I needed, was to have a whiplash before my long journey to Las Cruces. You can find stupid drivers anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
I spent nearly 50 years living in Colorado and have been going to New Mexico for nearly 40 years. I love northern New Mexico and southern Colorado very much, but they share one very bad characteristic: a lot of drunk drivers per capita mixed in with a lot of rural two-lane highways. It is a deadly combination. Some of my closest brushes with the Grim Reaper have been on the highway in that area--almost always caused by the poor driving of someone else--someone mostly likely under the influence of alcohol. It's one of those blights on an otherwise beautiful place.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
Default Driving

Among the accidents that occur in Mexico,most of them are due to these drunk peoplen driving the vehicles.This is the case in rest of the world but Mexican government is taking some severe actions against these people to prevent them and ensure safety of people...
james
[url=http://www.alcoholtreatment.info]Alcohol Treatment[/url]

Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,324 times
Default The Way It Was

I was in Gallup for about a week as a teenager. A week in the city jail for hitch hiking and being a runaway.Every night the cops would bring in 40 or 50 drunk indians of all ages.Every other store was a liquor store.Things are probably alot better now though.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,232 times
I live in WI and I am guilty of DWI's but I have changed my life after I was yelled at by my son at age 9, I am in the process in starting my ministry and starting a program to slow down the deaths here. We have people who have had 8 plus DWI"s and still drinking. ;-(

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,703 times
Looks like Forbes has listed NM as the 9th worse state to live in due to Drunk Driving. Looks like Wyoming is the absolute worse in the country.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times
So..I'm not sure if this was already stated in the above posts or not. But I too was shocked about all the DWI concern in the state. I moved here from the "5th drunkest state in the US". I don't know where NM falls on that scale..but even back home DWIs weren't THIS much of an issue. But I too applaud those responsible for trying to clean up the issue.
Anyway. Yesterday I was in talking to an auto insurance agent..and we got on this topic. She said that the state BAL is .08. WOW! So she stated that after you have had ONE beer you're done. I find it very interesting. I guess in a way it IS punishing us responsible people too, but it its the only way to solve the issue..I'm all for it!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
About 5 years ago NM was tied for 4th with AZ for DWI

A lot has been done, so I guess NM is now 9th? It was 7th about a year ago.

I don't think .08 alcohol level is one beer, but it depends on the individual.

Rich

Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
About 5 years ago NM was tied for 4th with AZ for DWI

A lot has been done, so I guess NM is now 9th? It was 7th about a year ago.

I don't think .08 alcohol level is one beer, but it depends on the individual.

Rich

Being a 5' female it probably is for me. Thats just what I was told. How would one know? Better safe than sorry I guess!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Being a 5' female it probably is for me. Thats just what I was told. How would one know? Better safe than sorry I guess!
I know a 5' gal that can pour it down the same with any 6' guy.

Just don't drive folks, call a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico