Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 PM

11 posts, read 38,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I Grew up in the Mountains of N.M. sometimes having to be the Cook when i was a Kid. How do you Quisar Red Chili Powder and what do you use to give the Chili Flavor and make it into a thick bubbly gravy? el pintada kid from the center of N.M.
Hi Pintada Kid,
It's nice to hear from a fellow native New Mexican. The red chile sauce from red chile powder is very easy to make and very delicioso. I make mine from scratch, but I love it this way too. This recipe will make 2 cups or so.
In a heated fry pan add 2 tablespoons of shortening and melt, and then add 2 full tablespoons of flour. Stir and cook it until it begins to bubble. Stir in 1 cup of NM red chile powder and cook it until it begins to bubble. Slowly add 2 cups of cold water and stir constantly to prevent lumps and to help thicken. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, a pinch of oregano & cumin, or to taste. Cover & cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, stir occasionally. Make sure you check the heat of the chile powder first...hot or mild? Hope you like this.
Thanks everyone, I've enjoyed this tremendously. I'll check back later this weekend.
Gabriela

Last edited by AmaDeCasa; 03-06-2008 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,353,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaDeCasa View Post
Hi songinthewind,
Burritos are one of my favorites, too. Do you just mean what type of fillings I use?
Gabriela
yes, what type of fillings to you use and do you use any toopings?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Where can I order decent chillis or chilli powder? The el Paso in the grocery store just is not good enough. What Salsa do you recommend? I made some really good green salsa using heritage green tomatoes from my garden and canned chillies last fall.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM

775 posts, read 2,589,281 times
Default Thanks Gabriela

Your a very good Cook. What does the Word Guisar mean in English? pintada kid at webtv dot net. el pintada kid

Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,910 times
Guisar:

To "cook up"
"dress" it up

Old 03-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
yes, what type of fillings to you use and do you use any toopings?
A favorite in our home is what I call "El Valiente" or the brave one, because the chile is very hot & it's an extra big burrito. I fry ground beef and season with salt/fresh black pepper/cumin/minced garlic. I add peeled & cubed potatoes, some tomoto sauce & beef broth and let it simmer. On the inside of the tortilla I spread a thin layer of refried beans (like you would peanut butter on bread), then fill the tortilla with the meat, spanish rice, and my homemade very hot green chile sauce and of course, queso blanco (white cheese). I top it with the green chile sauce and grated queso blanco. What type of fillings & toppings do you like? I'm always open to new ideas!
Gabriela

Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Where can I order decent chillis or chilli powder? The el Paso in the grocery store just is not good enough. What Salsa do you recommend? I made some really good green salsa using heritage green tomatoes from my garden and canned chillies last fall.
Hi GregW,
Do you mean Chiles or chile powder from NM?
The best salsa is always the one you make fresh. I always make my own and I even make my own tortilla chips for it. Your salsa will be far superior in flavor and quality than what you could ever get in a can/jar. Also, the type of tomato you use will make as much of a difference as what type of chiles you use. You could try tomatoes like the Roma, they're perfect with a deep rich flavor and not too liquidy like the slicers.
Gabriela

Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Your a very good Cook. What does the Word Guisar mean in English? pintada kid at webtv dot net. el pintada kid
Hi Pintada Kid,
I hope you'll feel the same way after you try the recipe I gave you.
Gabriela

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,910 times
Ama casa were you always from Las Cruces? Do you have children? Im moving back home sometime in June.
and it is good to see another native New Mexican too, also do you make your own queso?

I do not like tomatoes or oregano in my red chile or enchiladas, I like oregano when I make tacos Don't like tomatillos in my chile verde.
sometimes in my red sauce I add nutmeg cinnamon and clavos, and let a chicken stew
I like plain green chile peeled after roasting with crushed garlic and salt sometimes chopped onions, on a fresh hot homemade tortilla
My husband loves chorizo and eggs
I cook it with one potatoe cooked and cubed and add my eggs with lemon and roll in a tortilla,

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Hi Michelle1210,
I'm from Taos but raised in LC. We do have children & most of them grown. Where are you living now? I can make queso, but nothing compared to my mothers. Do you make it?
When I feel like a quick snack I'll get a peeled roasted green chile & put it on top of a slice of asadero & sprinkle a little onions on top and then roll it up on a hot corn tortilla. I could eat that all day. Would you mind sharing your stewed chicken recipe with the red chile, nutmeg, cinnamon & cloves? That sounds so delicious.
Gabriela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico