Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaDeCasa View Post
Hi Cathy4017,
We love this sauce at home and I use it in everything. My sauce recipe is very hot, but you can add small amounts of the Habanero, or none at all & still get a delicious green chile sauce. Let's start.

Chop about 1/4 of onion and mince 1 garlic clove. In a sauce pan add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and heat. Add the onions & garlic into pan and saute for about 3 - 5 minutes - don't let the garlic turn brown, not even light brown...this will cause the garlic to taste very bitter. Add 2 tsp of flour and stir until the flour starts to lightly brown - takes a few seconds. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups of chopped roasted NM green chile or Anaheim, 1 seeded & minced Habanero chile, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup of chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover & simmer for about 20 minutes, stir occasionally.

Please know that the habanero chile is one of the hottest chiles around. Use gloves when you start handling it, especially when you start seeding & mincing it. Plus, don't touch any part of your face especially your eyes, because it can burn very badly. And, remember that you don't need this firestarter to get a delicious chile. Just omit the habanero & follow the recipe in the same way. In our house we love our salsa's and sauces HOT! But not always.
I hope you like it.
Gabriela
Thank you for the recipe, Gabriela!! I very well understand the part about the habanero!! I used to grow red Savinas (my very favorite) every season, and make a sauce (sort of like Tabasco)...it just never occurred to me to mix green chile and habanero together.

That one WILL clear the sinuses, LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaDeCasa View Post
Hi Tecpatl,

You're right, grilling the tomatoes is the way to add them to a salsa. That roasted flavor adds the authenticity to a lot of mexican/new mexican foods. Are you a chef?

Gabriela
Was......almost 25 years. I finally decided to get out of the kitchen and into the rest of my life and have enjoyed the change very much, though there are things I miss about the business.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM

775 posts, read 2,589,181 times
Default The Little Sheepherder

I grew up in the Mountains of N.M. amongst the Old Sheepherders and Ranchers and as a Kid in Grade School i was elected to be the cook for all the Ranch Hands whether i wanted to or not. So i guess cooking is a passion i grew up with plus playing guitar and singing. I like my cooking better then that Tasteless expensive food in some Restaurants. el pintada kid

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I grew up in the Mountains of N.M. amongst the Old Sheepherders and Ranchers and as a Kid in Grade School i was elected to be the cook for all the Ranch Hands whether i wanted to or not. So i guess cooking is a passion i grew up with plus playing guitar and singing. I like my cooking better then that Tasteless expensive food in some Restaurants. el pintada kid
How do you like to cook your Cabrito?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico