Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times

Advertisements

you can make good money in the Farmington area,my friend has been telling me the past few months that there are lots of driving jobs available.

Maybe you can rent until you get confortable in the area and your job before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM

28 posts, read 149,129 times
If you have a clean record, CDL, are bilingual, you will have no trouble at all getting a job out here. The biggest thing that seems to stop people from getting oil field jobs is DUIs so as long as your driving record is good, you are in. Your ethnicity is no problem, there are tons of hispanic and native american people here, and in general people live and work together no problem. Being bilingual is a huge asset because about 33% of people in San Juan country do not speak English in the home. Being bilingual may well fast track you to management.

Try checking Halliburton, Chevron, Conoco Phillips, Williams Energy, and other websites, since most of those companies publish jobs on their own websites and not in the paper. I know Halliburton is hiring right now and I know there are many CDL jobs available in general.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM

13 posts, read 58,458 times
Default Bloomfield question for you...

Hi Leanne. I read your post about Bloomfield and am interested in finding out if they need teachers? I would love to move to the area in the next year but I will need a job of course. I'm a certified K-8 teacher. I'm married with two young sons. Any info you may have would be great. Thanks! My email: sarahvm_76@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne Kinnard View Post
Bloomfield is NICE! Check it out.
I feel compelled to put in my two cents here about Bloomfield, NM which is a great alternative to living in Farmington or Aztec. I keep seeing postings comparing the three cities and Bloomfield's GOOD qualities deserve some attention. I admit that I am biased because my husband grew up in Bloomfield and we have a home there. We are also putting our money where our mouth is because we have small spec home for sale in Bloomfield (anyone want to buy it? :-)). We believe Bloomfield is THE place everyone will want to be in the next few years. It is has a more rural feel than Farmington. The people are hard working, friendly, and down to earth. The prices on homes and land are not yet as high as Farmington or Aztec. The city has made great strides towards improving the infrastructure and schools. Bloomfield has a brand new beautiful public pool, tennis courts and park that hardly anyone ever uses. We love it in the summer time. The high school athletic program seems to produce some great athletes. Everyone knows everyone and there are alot of activities around community, church and family. Oh yeah...the thing I like best...it is NOT Arizona. It is close to Navajo Lake, Camping, Fishing, Colorado, etc! There is even a small winery in a canyon on the way to the lake that has jazz on Sundays. I love New Mexico!

By the way - please check and compare the crime statistic of Bloomfield compared to Farmington and Aztec on the links below. I think that crime being higher in Bloomfield than the surrounding area is a myth that has been perpetuated over the years through alot of unfounded prejudices. There were ZERO murders reported in Bloomfield for 2001-2006 if the information on the links below is correct.

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 04:58 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 15,144 times
i would be very interested in any info on the house you have for sale? we may be relocating to the area and need housing.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM

7 posts, read 21,521 times
A friend of mine recently relocated to Aztec, NM from the Dove Creek, CO area.
There were no jobs to speak of in that area of CO, but he says there are lots of
available jobs in Aztec as far as service jobs (waitress, server). While I have
international sales experience, I am burned out on sales, and would be willing to
get back into waitressing if I could earn a decent living in Aztec.

I would like an honest opinion of what the job opportunities are like in Aztec, or
even Farmington, NM. I would need to get a job immediately in the service industry
to get on my feet, but I would also probably look for an office job as well, such as
office manager or administrative assistant, as I do have 20+ years of secretarial,
inside sales, general office work under my belt.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Hopefully AztecNM Bound

Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec_NM_Bound View Post
A friend of mine recently relocated to Aztec, NM from the Dove Creek, CO area.
There were no jobs to speak of in that area of CO, but he says there are lots of
available jobs in Aztec as far as service jobs (waitress, server). While I have
international sales experience, I am burned out on sales, and would be willing to
get back into waitressing if I could earn a decent living in Aztec.

I would like an honest opinion of what the job opportunities are like in Aztec, or
even Farmington, NM. I would need to get a job immediately in the service industry
to get on my feet, but I would also probably look for an office job as well, such as
office manager or administrative assistant, as I do have 20+ years of secretarial,
inside sales, general office work under my belt.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Hopefully AztecNM Bound

I use to visit Dove Creek all the time when I was young, its rare you hear someone mention that town, anyways I would say that Farmington would be the easiest place to find a job in NM and its not as family oriented as elsewhere in NM meaning its not all family hiring family.

Farmington has so much for its size, I read once that Farmington dosent even have the population to keep filling all the new businesses that are comming in. So many jobs with so little people.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 21,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I use to visit Dove Creek all the time when I was young, its rare you hear someone mention that town, anyways I would say that Farmington would be the easiest place to find a job in NM and its not as family oriented as elsewhere in NM meaning its not all family hiring family.

Farmington has so much for its size, I read once that Farmington dosent even have the population to keep filling all the new businesses that are comming in. So many jobs with so little people.
Thanks so much for the response!!

Dove Creek, CO is a great little town, lots of wide open spaces, and
beautiful scenery. However, the jobs are non-existent, unless you
want to drive to Cortez.

I am thrilled to hear about my friend relocating to Aztec, and from
what you are indicating above, I should be able to find a job or even
two without a major problem.

I have been checking the rentals, and the rent does seem high, and
it appears a lot of places don't allow pets. I have 2 cats and he has
a dog - he's currently staying with friends while looking for a place
himself. Is there a possibility to rent anything outside of town such
as a mobile home on a small tract of land? I would dearly love to be
able to live more rurally and have a little bit of acreage to maybe even
get some chickens, etc.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,531 times
Hey, any chance you would be willing to rent out your house? We are very responsible people, but have three cats. Its hard to find a place to live on a budget that is in your area. My fiance just got a job in Farmington, and we have two weeks to find a place to live. He is working from 7 in the morning until 8 at night every day, and I am all the way in Arizona. If you know of anything please let me know. thanks for your help.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM

15 posts, read 94,410 times
Hi MissChristina, It is possible that we might consider renting. If nothing else, we might be able to help you find somebody that will rent to you. My husband will be in Bloomfield, NM this week and can show your fiance the house. I am actually in Gilbert, AZ. Please feel free to send me an email at lkinnard@techoneit.com and I will send you our phone numbers. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 17,850 times
Default Farmington, New Mexico

I am currently going to school at the University of Minnesota and am contemplating transferring to San Juan for a change of pace. I don't mind Mpls but I have been in the area most of my life and I might be bored with it.

I have read a lot of good and bad about Farmington, the bad mainly being crime, but it seems there are lots of things to do in the area. Can anyone tell me how the Farmington area is for motorcycling and dirt biking? I have read other places that I would only have to go about an hour and a half to snowmobile as well. Can any one expand on this? How are the lakes/rivers in the area? How is the economy there? Job availability?

Is there anything I should watch out for if I decide to move? Would this be a good place to move to? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico