Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,923,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest999 View Post
... Now we hear ATVs racing up and down,..
Now, I get everything else Forrest said, but to me, ATVs scream rural.

We have a 50cc dirtbike the kids ride around the property and I doubt we'd be able to do that in Albuquerque.

Neighbors ride their ATV down my street, and also ride their horses. Recently, I had to slow down b/c I was approaching a family out for a walk with what I thought was their dog. When I got closer, it turned out to be a goat!

I think we need to make sure we are strict with the zoning. Turning down multifamily housing at the corner of 344 and Venus was a good start. What a stupid location for multifamily housing. A small area near the intersection of 344 and 66 is really the only place I think would be a good idea for townhomes, etc....

Stop the commercial development to the north at Dinkle, to the south at the Walgreens on rt 66.

Keep those nice grazing lands on the east side of 344. The real estate slowdown could be a boon to Edgewood. There is so much on the market right now that building a new home would be folly.

And don't forget to point some of the blame at the families that owned huge parcels of land and subdivided them out to build neighborhoods if you don't like what is happening. I have seen what selling off pecan groves did to the town we used to live in in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Now, I get everything else Forrest said, but to me, ATVs scream rural.

We have a 50cc dirtbike the kids ride around the property and I doubt we'd be able to do that in Albuquerque..
Your right about doing that in Abq. BUT riding an UNIISURED, UNREGISTERED UNLISCENSED vehicle on public roads, dirt or otherwise iis also illegal in Edgewood as well as the rest of the state.

I dont have an issue with horses.pedestrians ect but having kids and adults racing up and down the roads at double to triple the posted limits and being able to hear it 1/4 to 1.2 miile away is an issue.

The Edgeweedian

Last edited by the-edgweedian; 02-20-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-edgweedian View Post
True there have been town meetings but the opinion of those not in the incorporated area of edgewood have zero impact. The TOWN was incorporated by the votes of about 80 people with a total of about 125 eligible (dont hold me to exact numbers but its close enough). Now we have the largest TOWN in the US, square mile wise and though I live roughly 2 miles from the freeway have I had a single voice in the matter? No. I just get pass thru the blight on my daily communte to Abq.

As it was posted I too used to get the yearly notice about not watering my garden and conserve, conserve. conserve mantra from the co-op but wait there must have been an overnight refill of the swiill they pump from the ground that passes for drinking water as those ntices went away as soon as the house were being built. Truth be told some one prob got paid off to turn a blind eye.

Growth is inevitable thats a fact but do we really need or want another Los Lunas or Rio Rancho? They have ruined the west side already so they might as well keep on going untill they reach Grants but leave this side of the mountain alone.

signed

An ignored long time resident

The Edgeweedian.

I have lived in Rio Rancho for ten years and I also own a home in Albuquerque and another on the East coast.

I don't know what you consider the be a town, but I was wondering how you considered Edgewood to be the largest town in the US.

Sorry you have to pass through blight on your daily communte to Albuquerque.

I can't really comment on your claims of someone being paid off to turn a blind eye. The claim seems to be very popular by some all over the US.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM

I think in square mileage Edgewood is the largest or second largest incorporated municipality in the country. The town incorporated a lot of undeveloped land with their eyes on future growth and tax receipts. Campbell Ranch/Sandoval county is an example. I think that is what he means.

I am not really sure what the blight is?

The only thing that I consider blighted is the storefront John Brooks vacated. They say they closed b/c they could not compete with WM coming in. I say they had trouble with business b/c their food storage practices were disgusting.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Thank you for registering to the City-Data forum and making your first post a reply to mine.

I have lived in Rio Rancho for ten years and I also own a home in Albuquerque and another on the East coast.

I don't know what you consider the be a town, but I was wondering how you considered Edgewood to be the largest town in the US.

Sorry you have to pass through blight on your daily communte to Albuquerque.

I can't really comment on your claims of someone being paid off to turn a blind eye. The claim seems to be very popular by some all over the US.

Rich

Hi Rich

Lisdol is correct about my reference. Since the addition od the campbell ranch tract Edgewood has become the largest town iin the US.

The "blight" i am referring to is the seeminly uncontrolled growth of thw area in general. When I moved here in the early 90's Edgewood was a small feeling community and now with the addition of a Smiths, The 9th largest walmart in the country and the glaring lights from the stores and gas stations Edgewood has lost that smmall town feel. I moved here not for what was here but more for what wasnt here. I knew the nearest grocery store was 20 miles away and dealt with that. It irks me to have people move here and then moan about the laqck of things. If you want rio rancho thats fine just make sure you move to rio rancho.

As far as the "turning the blind eye bit" I am unsure of how Edgewood went from a yearly plea from the water company when there were so fewer residents to an apparent "all is fine and dandy" attitude with huge stores and multitudes of 4000 + sqft homes. If some one wasnt paid off then what? Mayby it was just magic and the aquifer refilled......but I doubt it

Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,069 times
Okay, new topic which I am curious about: there are so many people who come out to the Torrance County side of Edgewood and dump their garbage in the woods and even a mobile home that was, apparently, reposessed and they dumped all the crap from inside the house in front and there it sits for over a year now. There are several places with inhabitable mobile homes and cars stacked up, tires and garbage strewn about and abandoned mobile homes that have been trashed. Zoning does nothing about if you call them. Is there a place to call about such things? It's the slumdog atmosphere that ruins even rural life.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest999 View Post
the Torrance County side of Edgewood
That is probably the problem right there, sorry to say. Wish I could help you. Sounds terrible

Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,069 times
LOL...good point Lisdol!!!

I just went for a hike in the evening...I am so suprised at all the lights now...even out Stanley way.

Are there any meetups in the Edgewood area?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,023,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I hate to say it, but 'he who has the gold makes the rules'. And changes them as well, as he sees fit.
As I recall, Shirley McClain discovered differently about 25 years ago in Santa Fe.........

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,323 times
Between the town council, planning and zoning, animal control, the mayor and most other town authorities repeatedly ignoring the wishes of the people, there is little chance that this area will grow except for low-income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico