Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
An aside: Did you know that the local ski area (Ski Apache) has the only enclosed gondola in New Mexico?
Apparently the difference between a gondola and a tram is that a tram doesn't have an up set of cables and a down set of cables, but rather each set of cables has a car that goes both ways.

So the Sandia Peak Tramway isn't technically a gondola.

But it is enclosed. And it's well over 2000 feet from top to bottom. Try like 4000 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 07:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
An aside: Did you know that the local ski area (Ski Apache) has the only enclosed gondola in New Mexico? It was refurbished several years ago and cabs increased from 4 to 6 person capacity. It runs from the parking lot to the highest point of the ski area.

Yes. I knew that...

I've been on Sandia Peak Tramway several times. And learned about Gondola's years ago in Germany and Japan while stationed...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-01-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 05:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
My intent in mentioning the Ski Apache gondola was to emphasize the ski area's uniqueness in comparison to the other ski areas in the state. It also has a variety of chair lifts, with several three and four person chairs and a total of nine altogether. Presently the ski area web site is claiming a 42" snowfall over the New Year holiday with a 60" base depth.

Several years ago the ski area developed mountain biking trails from the top to bottom and a 3-phase zip line, both of which are accessed by the gondola during the non-skiing months.l

Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
My intent in mentioning the Ski Apache gondola was to emphasize the ski area's uniqueness in comparison to the other ski areas in the state.
But you appently did not look at the United States:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gondola_lifts

Ski Resort Gondolas

California:
Heavenly Gondola
Panorama Gondola Lower/Upper
Village Gondola
Big Springs Express Gondola
Highlands Gondola
Magic Carpet Gondola
Pulse (Pulse Gondola)
Colorado:
Elk Camp - Snowmass
Sky Cab (Pulse Gondola, Cabriolet)- Snowmass
Silver Queen Gondola - Aspen Mountain
Buckaroo Express Gondola
Riverfront Express Gondola
BreckConnect Gondola
River Run Gondola
Outpost Gondola
Silver Bullet Gondola
Telluride Village Gondola
Chondola
Eagle Bahn Gondola
Gondola One
Village Cabriolet
Idaho:
Roundhouse Gondola
Maine:
Chondola
Minnesota:
Lutsen Mountains
New Hampshire:
Wildcat Mountain Gondola (Removed)
New Jersey:
The Cabriolet (Open-Air Gondola)
New Mexico:
Ski Apache
New York:
Northwoods Gondola
Cloudsplitter Gondola
Vermont:
K-1 Gondola
Skyeship Gondola Stage 1/Stage 2
Utah:

Red Pine Gondola
Cabriolet (Open-Air Gondola)
waldorf Gondola
Quick Silver Gondola
Jordanelle Express Gondola
Needles Express Gondola
Strawberry Express Gondola
Washington:

Mount Rainier Gondola
Wyoming:

Bridger Gondola

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
But you appently did not look at the United States:

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM

138 posts, read 146,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux3 View Post
I hope it doesn't do that again any time soon! I plan on going right by there in a little over a week. According to the road maps (https://www.nmroads.com/mapIndex.html)earlier today the roads were closed right through part of the area I'll travel. I can go around, but any other route available was a long way to travel.

But I'm keeping an eye on it and hoping things will be OK going in and out when the time comes.
Thrilled to say my fear was unfounded. Made it all the way through without a hitch. Which I expected, but also feared the unexpected since my luck isn't always the best.

Now, if only this GD wifi worked worth a darn in this motel! I've stayed here 3 times now, and this makes my wife's fourth (my son came with her last time). It was zero problem those other times. This time it's deathly slow, doesn't route anything at all sometimes, drops connections, etc. I'd use my phone as a hotspot except it doesn't seem to want to work very well in this place either. It's fine all over outside, but not here. Didn't work at all for me in Dalhart, TX as well.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

949 posts, read 574,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Yeaaaaaaaaaah, baby!!! Waxing the skis at the ski shop now, see Ruidoso in a week.
That is great since the bowl is necessary to stay away from the dangerous amateurs that flock to that mountain to ski. I stopped skiing there many years ago because of how hazardous the skiers are at the lower runs.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,963 times
Quote:
Ruidoso set a record Friday,.. said the previous record was 14 inches set decades earlier.
I don't know if I believe that. Several years ago in Santa Fe we got, like, 12-14 inches in a day, for two days in a row. There was more than 2 feet on the ground after those two days had passed.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,416,202 times
wow thats a large amount of snow.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't know if I believe that. Several years ago in Santa Fe we got, like, 12-14 inches in a day, for two days in a row. There was more than 2 feet on the ground after those two days had passed.

The article says "in one day." Ruidoso has had more depth in the past after more than a day of heavy snowfall. Here are two photos taken from my front door of this most recent snowfall. The Jeep in the one photo is my neighbor's. It's surprising how many older homes don't even have a carport here, much less a garage. I at least have a carport and it helps tremendously to keep my car from becoming snowbound.

Attached Thumbnails
Ruidoso sets one day snowfall record!-122818snow2.jpg   Ruidoso sets one day snowfall record!-122818snow3.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico