Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The article says "in one day." Ruidoso has had more depth in the past after more than a day of heavy snowfall.
True, but like I said, just a few years back, Santa Fe had at least 12" in a single day, so I find it hard to believe that Ruidoso would not be seeing those kind of snowfalls on a more regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
True, but like I said, just a few years back, Santa Fe had at least 12" in a single day, so I find it hard to believe that Ruidoso would not be seeing those kind of snowfalls on a more regular basis.
The title of this thread is: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...l#post54122025

What part do you not understand?

I could care less about "a few years back, Santa Fe had"....

A "record" is a "record"...

Weather historian: Ruidoso breaks snowfall record
Dianne L Stallings, Ruidoso News Published 3:39 p.m. MT Dec. 28, 2018 | Updated 5:02 p.m. MT Dec. 28, 2018

Quote:
Ruidoso set a record Friday, recording the most snowfall in a single day in December, a weather historian told the Ruidoso News.

By 3 p.m., residents called in with measurements of 20 inches or more.

Former village manager Frank Potter, a weather spotter for the National Weather Service and a weather historian, said the previous record was 14 inches set decades earlier.
Entire Article Is At: https://www.ruidosonews.com/story/ne...er/2435885002/

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-11-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What part do you not understand?
As I said, I understand it, but I doubt its validity.
Quote:
I could care less about "a few years back, Santa Fe had"....
Well, if Santa Fe town gets 12" one-day snowfalls semi-regularly - which it does - it seems rather strange that Ruidoso ski resort, above 10,000 feet, would only be seeing those kind of snowfalls once every few decades?? Maybe it's true, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,173,592 times
Comparing the snowfall averages for Santa Fe and Ruidoso:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-Mexico/annual-snowfall.php

DAYS INCHES

12.4 Ruidoso 29.9

8.4 Santa Fe 24.0

Last edited by joqua; 01-13-2019 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 08:47 AM

I dunno, man. I lived in Santa Fe several years ago and one winter it snowed constantly over a weekend and we had two feet on the ground when it finished snowing. I expect Ruidoso ski resort area sees this kind of snow activity almost every winter.

For those of you following this thread who find it hard to believe NM gets a lot of snow, believe me it does. Moreso the higher elevations. I've been backpacking in the Magdalena mountains in the middle of the summer where we were slogging through a couple feet of snow on the ground on the north slopes. Snow left over from the winter months which hadn't melted off yet.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I dunno, man. I lived in Santa Fe several years ago and one winter it snowed constantly over a weekend and we had two feet on the ground when it finished snowing. I expect Ruidoso ski resort area sees this kind of snow activity almost every winter.

For those of you following this thread who find it hard to believe NM gets a lot of snow, believe me it does. Moreso the higher elevations. I've been backpacking in the Magdalena mountains in the middle of the summer where we were slogging through a couple feet of snow on the ground on the north slopes. Snow left over from the winter months which hadn't melted off yet.
one weekend, 2 feet, isn't something that happens often. I lived in ABQ for 7 years. We only had one year with a lot of snow. No, NM doesn't get as much as you might think. I don't judge how much it snows by 1 year. It seems you remember that one year where you got a lot and forget the winters where it snowed but not all that much.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,283,946 times
Avalanche at Taos Ski Resort killed one skier, other critically injured.
NM mountains getting more snow than usual this winter.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,282,820 times
Ruidoso (the town) is NOT at 10,000 feet. It's about the same elevation as Santa Fe but further south with less high elevation mountains (only 1) surrounding it. The ski area gets more snow but it's some distance from town and much higher.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,173,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Ruidoso (the town) is NOT at 10,000 feet. It's about the same elevation as Santa Fe but further south with less high elevation mountains (only 1) surrounding it. The ski area gets more snow but it's some distance from town and much higher.

The village gets about the same amount of precipitation as the ski area with the difference being that the higher you go the more likely it is to be snow and the longer it lasts due to the temperature differences. It may rain in the village for awhile before getting cold enough to turn to snow, while the mountain peaks will be all snow from the start.

In recent years there have been days of inversion temps when the ski area is actually warmer than the village! Since the ski area has to rely heavily on snow-making equipment now, it takes below freezing air temps in order for that to be possible.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one weekend, 2 feet, isn't something that happens often. I lived in ABQ for 7 years.
Big difference in snowfall between Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and mountain towns in northern NM. In Santa Fe, two feet in a weekend happens about once every 4-5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Ruidoso (the town) is NOT at 10,000 feet.
The OP (and my response to him) is talking about the ski resort, not the town. Basically the thing is that his post makes it seem like it's a big deal, but for those of us who are familiar with the mountain areas and the higher elevations in New Mexico, particularly in the northern half of the state, it's no big deal. Shoot, I've been backpacking in the Magdalena mountains (near Socorro) in June where we trudged through knee-high snow in the north-facing parts of the mountain. Not just patches of snow, we had about a mile-long stretch of trail through the forest that was knee-high snow the whole way. In the summer.

Last edited by 80skeys; 01-23-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico