Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
Thanks,

I am a bit worried about finding a decent job around Taos?

Provided Santa fe is my best option in that regard. What area of or around Santa Fe do you recommend?
I get the impression that you are young, single and footloose. I'm a grandfather.

But if I were younger, I'd start my search in what they call the Railroad Area -- just sort of re-developing now -- rather than the Plaza area which is more expensive and touristy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM

146 posts, read 453,837 times
I am 37 years young and "entering the afternoon of my life", as they say.

Just looking to try something new, in a new place.

BTW, I find most arrogant, snooty people are just insecure about themselves. If they only believed half of what they thought, they would be much better off and so would everyone else around them.

I have been reading about the railroad area. Is this a nice area? or are you sending me to the "ghetto"? lol

Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,885 times
Quote:
I have been reading about the railroad area. Is this a nice area? or are you sending me to the "ghetto"? lol
No, I would say that it is a great area, vastly superior to the plaza. At some point, of course, the tourists and the wealthy will move in and it will become boring. Then another area will emerge as the more experimental, vibrant area.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
We were just in Santa Fe last week, and drove through the Railyard area several times. There is a LOT of construction going on there .... there are already several good restaurants there, and looks like there will be more, plus some retail shops and I think, condos. They have a long way to go to get it all developed, but business is booming there. I think it is planned to be the new "in" place in Santa Fe.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,654 times
Here's the state's 'outdoor fun' website Play in New Mexico It gives you a good sense of the various areas. Taos is definitely an interesting, historic and wonderful place, but there's virtually no work there, other than for the hospitality business. So, you are right that Santa Fe has more work - hospitality too, of course, but also healthcare, state government, legal/financial/real estate and some technology.
If you want to be in the great outdoors, yet still near Santa Fe, look in Tesuque, Pojoaque in the north of town, and Galisteo/285 Corridor in the south. Of course no part of SF is far from the edge of town, so wherever you live you're no more than 45 minutes from the Great Outdoors....

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,007,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Tim, do you mean east? A nice 12 K peak -- but isn't it in the Sangres? Santa Fe Baldy is higher and snow capped -- you didn't see it?
Oooops, you're right Devin, east. Once again I've fallen victim to that confused, easterner's magnetic compass that EP once referred to. I see peaks, and I think I'm looking west.

As far as which peak, not positive. There was a range, and probably more than one peak(?). I just looked on a map and saw that Tesuque is out there somewhere, north of Santa Fe.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,007,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
A note of caution here to amrobin../..however, I will say this with no hesitation: "WI and NM are night-and-day different places."
WOW!!! A gargantuan post, even by EnjoyEP standards!!! I was going to give you rep just for the sheer effort, but alas, I must first spread some more to the masses.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
WOW!!! A gargantuan post, even by EnjoyEP standards!!! I was going to give you rep just for the sheer effort, but alas, I must first spread some more to the masses.
I had some rep points available that I just gave to EnjoyEP for that post.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM

146 posts, read 453,837 times
Thanks for the info everyone.

I was looking at the homes for sale in Pojoaque & Tesaque areas, the majority of homes on the market, in those two areas, appear to be mucho $$$$$$.
How is the Railyard in comparison?

One thing I forgot about.....Property tax?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,654 times
Quote:
I am 37 years young and "entering the afternoon of my life", as they say.

Just looking to try something new, in a new place.

BTW, I find most arrogant, snooty people are just insecure about themselves. If they only believed half of what they thought, they would be much better off and so would everyone else around them.

The Railyard is probably the most exciting part of Santa Fe right now. New ideas are being tried in design and live/work mix, and I think when it's opened officially in the Fall, Santa Fe people are going to be very impressed. The live/work at the Railyard itself is quite expensive (but, hey, you can walk to REI!) - however within a mile or so of the development, there is a good mix of properties.
The other area scheduled to come up I'd say is around Second Street, anchored by the Cloud Cliff Bakery. There are some cool developments there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico