Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM

137 posts, read 134,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
People who reside on mountains in ANY state are white people anyways and they probably would not like minorities. I am not afraid of being an Indian in NM at all due to the large Hispanic/Latino population.
If you believe this, you are extremely naive and probably need to get out to see the rest of the country. The mountains aren't reserved for white people. You'd be surprised at how many others live there.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
People who reside on mountains in ANY state are white people anyways and they probably would not like minorities. I am not afraid of being an Indian in NM at all due to the large Hispanic/Latino population.
Well....they're Hispanics, here, but of ancestry from Spain. I wouldn't make any assumptions about their opinions of this or that minority. And BTW, Native Americans inhabit mountain areas, too.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,132 times
Albuquerque has a decent-sized Indian immigrant community. Indian immigrants are known to be highly educated and successful for the most part. That makes them visible. In Albuquerque they are well-represented as doctors and entrepreneurs. My primary care physician is from India by way of Dallas. This route is where most immigrants from India are coming to Albuquerque nowadays.

There are plenty of Indian restaurants in Albuquerque, which is another sector where the Indian community is visible and makes itself known in Albuquerque. Taj Mahal, Curry Leaf, Taaj Palace, Taste of India, Namaste and Annapurna are some of the Indian food spots in Albuquerque. Indian Food & Grocery is another spot that is exactly as its name implies, an Indian restaurant and grocery store: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/indi...ry-albuquerque

Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie504 View Post
If you believe this, you are extremely naive and probably need to get out to see the rest of the country. The mountains aren't reserved for white people. You'd be surprised at how many others live there.
What do you expect? He's young, he grew up on the East Coast. People's concept of mountain people out there are hillbillies in West Virginia. Even here in northern California, the people who live in the mountains (Santa Cruz mountains, Mendicino county, etc) are primarly white redneck types.
The modern Indians in NM are high tech educated types. But back in the day (going back many decades) there were a lot of "Patel" motels around. So not unusual to see people from India even back then.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
There are a fair number of young (20-something) Pakistani guys in my neighborhood near the university. They are not ABCDs like OP and their life laregely centers around their roles at the university.

But they get around and hang out in local spots (coffeeshop and such). The area is pretty diverse with all types of people.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:43 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
There are many Indians in New Mexico. No worries at all. The Highways I-40, I-10, I-25 are dotted with Indian owned Gas stations, Motels. Santa Fe, Albuquerque and many University towns like Las Cruces, Socorro plus many University Research facilities have Indians living there.

People are nice and Friendly over there.
Was going to say same thing.

Most motels I stayed at in NM seemed to be owned or operated by Indians...throughout the state...
Farmington...Deming...Las Cruces...everywhere, thought it was a bit strange, not sure why...
People in New Mexico don’t bat an eye if your green, purple...or 9 feet tall...
I guess that’s why those aliens landed near Roswell back in 1947

Old 03-29-2019, 06:51 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Nobody will care if you are East Indian, LGBT, or whatever else it is you're constantly worrying about. All kinds of people live in NM already, you won't be a pioneer.

The real question for you is why do you care what others think? Just be yourself and stop worrying.

Also, "rednecks" are mostly good, hardworking people, and some of them are LGBT. I've been glad to know people who grew up on ranches and lived in rural parts of New Mexico. Check out the NM State Fair in Albuquerque in September to see the kinds of things rural New Mexicans can do. You should know that there is an intersection between the LGBT community and the "redneck" community in the form of the New Mexico Gay Rodeo Association, which plays a prominent role in the NM LGBT community:

Photos from the Zia Regional Rodeo from 2016, an LGBT Rodeo in New Mexico:
http://nmgra.org/galleries/2016-rodeo/index.htm

"The New Mexico Gay Rodeo Association was established in 1984 as a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering the western lifestyle within the gay community. NMGRA also has a proud history of fundraising for charitable organizations within New Mexico.

"Each year, NMGRA produces the Zia Regional Rodeo, our premier fundraiser and the state's second largest LGBT event. In the past, the rodeo's profits have been donated to New Mexico AIDS Services, New Mexico Breast Cancer Coalition, New Mexico Domestic Violence Hotline and People Of Color AIDS Foundation, to name a few."

Last edited by aries63; 03-29-2019 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:47 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
I saw some white Sikh people in Santa Fe. There seems to be some religious commune of Sikh leader and his American followers it seems near that area. It also has a good Punjabi immigrant population with some Sikh immigrants owned Indian Restaurants in Santa Fe, Albuquerque and also at a Truck stop on I 40.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:34 PM

18,224 posts, read 25,871,803 times

Thread closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico