Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM

652 posts, read 681,686 times

Advertisements

I was told that native americans can get benefits like money from the state and possibly hunting for free. I'm sure there gotta be many more benefits too. However, I think you need your indian number in order to qualify for those benefits. So, my mom wanted me to ask how would you go about getting your indian number? Do you need more information than just your indian number? Thank you for any help or tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Default Need to contact your tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I was told that native americans can get benefits like money from the state and possibly hunting for free. I'm sure there gotta be many more benefits too. However, I think you need your indian number in order to qualify for those benefits. So, my mom wanted me to ask how would you go about getting your indian number? Do you need more information than just your indian number? Thank you for any help or tips.
Not sure, but you may want to start by reading this from the Bureau of Indian Affairs

http://www.bia.gov/idc/groups/public...idc-002619.pdf

Good luck

Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Wow...that's the wrong reason to get enrolled IMO. BTW, the "benefits" aren't all that and vary from Nation to Nation. For some Nations, what benefits you receive also depends on whether or not you live on tribal land.

A CDIB card does NOT automatically qualify a person for tribal enrollment nor does it qualify someone for benefits programs. That is completely up to each individual Nation and blood quantum and documentation requirements also vary from Nation to Nation. All a CDIB card does is state, according to the BIA, that you possess a certain amount on Indian blood. The BIA will require legal documentation of native ancestry. Family stories won't cut it.

Last edited by Fullback32; 01-25-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Seriously. Questions like this one are exactly what drove me out of working in genealogical librarianship. So depressing.

The Dawes #s were mostly finalized by 1907 - if your family doesn't know whether or not they are connected to a # by now you are highly unlikely to have one. Several individual Native Americans and families were too proud to be enumerated during the Dawes years, and some of their descendants later were able to prove ancestral relationships, but it took some doing - and most of that work was done before WW2.

Native American Nations aren't clubs that you can join just because you have some Native American heritage. They are sovereign Nations. You can't vote in the German elections just because Great Grandpa was a German, can you? Well, you can't vote in tribal elections or receive tribal benefits just because Great Grandma was a Choctaw!!!!!

If you want to do genealogical research we'll give you lots of pointers on how to get started.

If you want welfare benefits, that's another issue.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM

I have a relative that is holding the rest of us back from getting what we need. She have all the information that should be helpful enough to get our indian number and whatever else. I personally don't know what to do. Its just hard to get what we need since a relative refuse to give us the information to help us get our indian number.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
Quote:
Every tribe has its own guidelines. From simple ancestry charts to actual blood tests. Some require that you also are a contributing member.

If you are of indian descent you should want a tribal card because you are proud of your ancestry, not because of what you can get out of it. I am a card carrying indian and have never used it for gain. I am just glad that I don't have to hide my indian heritage, unlike my grandmother who hid it in order to escape the racism associated with being indian (her kids got to go to the "white schools" and graduate from high school, whereas she only got a 3rd grade education at the indian school).

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
I have a relative that is holding the rest of us back from getting what we need. She have all the information that should be helpful enough to get our indian number and whatever else. I personally don't know what to do. Its just hard to get what we need since a relative refuse to give us the information to help us get our indian number.
What is this "indian number" you keep talking about? The is no such thing as an "indian number." There are only specific tribal enrollments. What Nation, in particular, are you talking about? You have to be enrolled in a Nation, according to their laws and individual Constitutions, in order to get any kind of "number". The individual nations keep rolls, not the BIA.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
First of all, be born to actual American Indian parents.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 PM

I believe a "indian number" is a way to identify a person as a native american. I have a few people in my family who are native american. some of them are still alive and some past away before my time. my mom has always told me that I have cherokee blood in me.
I can care less about getting welfare benefits or getting any benefits from the state. I was there once and the state just held me back and pretty much control my life. I'm glad they made a decision to cut me off last year.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Just what the government needs... another leech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy