Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times

Advertisements

The agent at closing was telling us that in Santa Fe, the lower priced homes (I would guess below $350,000) are selling well (makes sense) and for some reason higher priced houses (I would guess $700,000 and up) are selling well, but it is the middle range that is soft and slow, with prices coming down.

We found a house in that middle range that would have been priced much higher six months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,972,862 times
Placitas sounds right for you in most regards except for pricing. Not sure there is much below the 400,000 price break, but there are some pretty decent houses in the 400s. Take a look with a realtor. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM

946 posts, read 3,271,885 times
Default lower prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
The agent at closing was telling us that in Santa Fe, the lower priced homes (I would guess below $350,000) are selling well (makes sense) and for some reason higher priced houses (I would guess $700,000 and up) are selling well, but it is the middle range that is soft and slow, with prices coming down.

We found a house in that middle range that would have been priced much higher six months ago.
That is what I have heard except that one of the national lower range developers recently cut prices in Santa Fe which suggests that the low end has slowed also.

The developer's price cuts in Santa Fe is what resulted in similar condos selling for virtually identical prices in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 AM

429 posts, read 1,480,329 times
Great info on Eldorado, we'll definitely visit in June.

A question about the HOA's, tho: Do any of the homes there come with large detached shops/barns/garages? We have a large shop now and have managed to fill it full of stuff. :-) Would we be able to build one without too much hassle? What about restrictions on RV parking - 1). we have a small one and 2). we have relatives/friends that come visit for extended periods (1-2 mos) and would the neighbors have a fit if an RV was parked there for any length of time?

We've never really lived in an area with HOA's/Covenants (other than King County, WA where if you live close to anything that could be construed as "wetlands" then you pretty miuch can't do anything with your land but pay taxes on it).

Speaking of taxes - does NM have a state income tax? I've heard it does and googled it but not sure I understand it, exactly.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM

429 posts, read 1,480,329 times
Another question - probably more toward recent transplants but natives might have some advice too.

For those of you that relocated from out-of-state and not lucky enough to be retired or tranferred by your current employer. How was job hunting? I've heard that it is better to get an in-state address for your resume/contact info when job hunting outside your home state. Did any of you find that necessary?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,654 times
Eldorado does have covenants, and one of the most strictly enforced is against parking RVs at the house. I believe they have a big communal RV corral for people who have them, but definitely they frown on RVs @ homes.

re barns/garages - some of them do, especially the ones owned by artists, who would have studios. The permitting process is pretty standard - you go through the architectural committee at Eldorado and then file your application with the county.
If Eldorado proves too restrictive for you, you can always look further south towards Galisteo or on Highway 14 - the Turquoise Trail - where there are fewer constraints, and (espec on Highway 14) larger lots to build barns, etc. on.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
Another question - probably more toward recent transplants but natives might have some advice too.

For those of you that relocated from out-of-state and not lucky enough to be retired or tranferred by your current employer. How was job hunting? I've heard that it is better to get an in-state address for your resume/contact info when job hunting outside your home state. Did any of you find that necessary?
I arrived here not knowing what I was going to do, but wanting to live here. I applied for a State job - there were many choices at the State for people with my marketing/communications background - and the process was relatively quick. I definitely think you should have an in-state address - you should probably set up a mailbox to get that address.

Santa Fe's job opportunities are basically tourism, real estate, State and financial services/legal. Albuquerque has a much broader, more traditional mix of job opportunities. I believe a State job, especially in Santa Fe, is a great way to just get connected - you don't have to stay there forever (I didn't.....), and it allows you to get a sense of how the place ticks.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,885 times
Question Where's T??

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
Eldorado does have covenants, and one of the most strictly enforced is against parking RVs at the house. I believe they have a big communal RV corral for people who have them, but definitely they frown on RVs @ homes.

re barns/garages - some of them do, especially the ones owned by artists, who would have studios. The permitting process is pretty standard - you go through the architectural committee at Eldorado and then file your application with the county.
If Eldorado proves too restrictive for you, you can always look further south towards Galisteo or on Highway 14 - the Turquoise Trail - where there are fewer constraints, and (espec on Highway 14) larger lots to build barns, etc. on.
Where's Towanda when we need her?

I read the Eldorado covenants pretty closely when we were considering covenants for this immediate neighborhood.

I'd suggest you look at them for yourself. Do a Google search.

But as I remember

1..RV's can be screened. But you would need to get approval in advance.

2.. Outbuilding. Has to look like main house -- you can't just bring a shed in on a truck and plop it down. You would -- I think -- have to submit drawings for approval. Again, I think an 800 square foot limit on size.

An existing house might already have approved and constructed screening and outbuilding. in the current market, probably cheaper to buy what you are looking for rather than buy and build.

Towanda will correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
This is what the Eldorado covenant says about storage sheds, barns, etc.:

Quote:
No structures shall be erected, altered, placed, or permitted to remain on any residential lot other than single family dwellings, accessory buildings such as studios, garages, greenhouses, recreational facilities and storage sheds, and stables on lots on which horses are permitted to be kept. No trailer, mobile home, tent, shack, garage, barn or other outbuilding, nor any temporary structure erected on any residential lot, shall be used at any time as a residence, either temporarily or permanently.
Quote:
Section 2. Placement of Accessory Buildings. Large accessory buildings, such as studios and garages, shall be located close to the dwelling house, and shall be architecturally integrated therewith. Small accessory buildings, such as storage sheds and greenhouses, shall be located so as to minimize their visual impact on the surrounding neighborhood, and shall be obscured by screening in some reasonable manner, for example by the dwelling house and/or with plantings or fencing.
I am not really familiar with the covenant requirements about RVs since we don't have one and I never checked. Here is what the covenant says:

Quote:
Section 13. Storage and Screening of Vehicles and their Accessories. a) Recreational vehicles, such as motor homes, RVs, campers, camper shells, vehicle accessories, trailers, horse trailers, airplanes, boats and the like, when stored on a lot shall be located so as to minimize their visual impact on the surrounding neighborhood and roads, and shall be obscured by screening in a reasonable manner, for example by the dwelling house and/or with plantings or fencing./ No more than three such vehicles shall be stored outside on any lot at any,time. No more than one additional vehicle shall be parked temporarily on a lot for a period not to exceed three weeks. This paragraph shall be applicable to recreational vehicle accessories, such as camper shells and the like.
Here is the link to the entire Eldorado covenant document.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
I have lived far too long with condominium restrictions, so I'll give Eldorado a pass thank you. I am looking for something with some town services like water and sewer but without too many restrictions like regulating what I can do in my back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico