Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM

87 posts, read 330,105 times

Advertisements

[quote=Devin Bent;3527359] a cube with one window each of every style ever known to humanity; a mosaic of plastic siding mimicking rock, brick, wood and any thing else the builder can imagine; a few arches; a dozen peaked roofs purchased at the local building supply and stuck on every which way; and of course a half dozen 'Greek' columns. quote]
Devin,
Please describe/or post picture of your "perfect" house....

Also, something to think about... maybe the home you are describing in Ute Lake was designed for a home owner (one that they wanted). Not really sure, but that home may have been built for someone, not just a spec home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,711 times
[quote=9One5;3532025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
a cube with one window each of every style ever known to humanity; a mosaic of plastic siding mimicking rock, brick, wood and any thing else the builder can imagine; a few arches; a dozen peaked roofs purchased at the local building supply and stuck on every which way; and of course a half dozen 'Greek' columns. quote]
Devin,
Please describe/or post picture of your "perfect" house....

Also, something to think about... maybe the home you are describing in Ute Lake [underline added] was designed for a home owner (one that they wanted). Not really sure, but that home may have been built for someone, not just a spec home.
A factual matter. When I wrote that passage I was describing a hypothetical house -- I had not yet not seen the photo of the Ute Lake home and thus could not possibly be describing it. Note please that the Ute Lake home has no columns. My hypothetical house did. However, the match between my hypothetical house and the very real one photographed should tell us something.

Describe my perfect house. Thank you for asking, but there is no one house. I would prefer a consistent architectural style. My favorite would NOT be a box bedecked with tawdry ornaments.

And no deep thought is required for the matter that you ask me to think about. I am sure that many people would love the house in the photo. You are probably one of them.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-21-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 03:26 PM

203 posts, read 715,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
But the limitations on new developments -- the theme -- are certainly a plus when you consider what dominates most new construction in the US -- a cube with one window each of every style ever known to humanity; a mosaic of plastic siding mimicking rock, brick, wood and any thing else the builder can imagine; a few arches; a dozen peaked roofs purchased at the local building supply and stuck on every which way; and of course a half dozen 'Greek' columns. And I suppose we all know this, but wealth does not guarantee good taste -- so the bigger the house, the more gimcrack the architecture.

I can drive through a new development around Santa Fe, without feeling the acute pain that I would so many other places. We can call Santa Fe a theme park -- but it is infinitely preferable to the abysmal real-world alternative.
Absolutely. I am always amazed at how well the Tierra Contenta neighborhood is developing in SE Santa Fe. Though the development area has some flaws, in general TC shows what can be done to preserve both the local historic design vernacular while avoiding a "cookie cutter" appearance. The houses are of mixed styles and designs within the design frame, they have varied setbacks providing visual interest from the road, landscaping was well thought out, "affordable" housing is mixed with market value houses so as to avoid "ghetto" look, and natural topography was considered a design element rather than something to be overcome.

The Southside Library is a fine example of contemporary architecture elegantly designed in the local vernacular. My spouse and I regularly use this branch now because the building and setting are so pleasant.

As for Las Vegas... well, the silver lining for being the down being stagnant for so long is very few building owners bothered to scab on "moderne" facades when it was the vogue to do so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico