Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,633 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get out of Chicago and into the Southwest. I don't have a car though and I am wondering what cities in New Mexico have the best transportation and lowest cost of living. I am interested in Santa Fe mostly. Thanks for the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,881 times
From what I have been hearing on the forum and the research I have done so far. There is no low cost of living over there. We are looking to move over there as well. I am from Indiana and the house we live in now is 2300 sq ft. 3BR 2.5 BA. This house would sell for $189,000 over here, this house would sell for $350-400,000 over there. I dont know much about transportation. We are looking at the Los ALamos area, which is a suburb of Santa Fe. Good Luck

Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesplease View Post
I am trying to get out of Chicago and into the Southwest. I don't have a car though and I am wondering what cities in New Mexico have the best transportation and lowest cost of living. I am interested in Santa Fe mostly. Thanks for the insight!
Life is all about trade-offs and hard choices. Santa Fe is

1. desirable in many ways,
2. hemmed in, particularly to the north by pueblo and public lands,
3. restricted on development by regulations put in place to conserve water.

So, high demand, low supply.

Which mean that it tends to be up there with Taos and Los Alamos as the more expensive places in New Mexico.

Perhaps these towns offer something that attracts you.

Santa Fe -- world center for visual and performing arts, relatively low crime, fair public transportation depending where you live, good skiing
Los Alamos -- excellent schools, low crime
Taos -- excellent skiing, alternative life style, visual arts.

You should probably come and see for yourself.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:18 PM

146 posts, read 453,796 times
Quote:
I would say Roswell. You won't need a car, they use spaceships! Just kidding around!

I am also from the Midwest and looking into Santa Fe.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalford View Post
the house we live in now is 2300 sq ft. 3BR 2.5 BA. This house would sell for $189,000 over here, this house would sell for $350-400,000 over there.
I would say if you could find a 2300 sq ft. 3BR 2.5 BA house in Santa Fe for $350-400,000 you would have found a bargain! That is a bit on the low side for houses that size.

Quote:
We are looking at the Los ALamos area, which is a suburb of Santa Fe.
I'm not sure I would consider Los Alamos a "suburb" of Santa Fe.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,416,482 times
Santa Fe is way overpriced and commercialized.
Look into southern NM for better buys.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,613,183 times
I agree with WildWestDude ....southern NM has better real estate prices and better weather too ...I would check out Alamogordo ...or Deming

Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM

203 posts, read 715,495 times
Quote:
The only NM city that meets both your criteria is Albuquerque. The cost of living will be reasonable compared to Chicago and has the only adequate (barely) public transit system in the state. Most other cities do not have the necessary scale to support a comprehensive transit service, especially if your frame of reference is Chicago.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree with WildWestDude ....southern NM has better real estate prices and better weather too ...I would check out Alamogordo ...or Deming
Cheaper? Yeah.

Better weather? Not for everyone.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Santa Fe is beautiful but costly. Albuquerque is cheaper and close enough to visit Santa Fe. Las Cruces or Deming would be fine for riding a bike.

Most of the cities in NM are smaller and with great weather, bike riding is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico