Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM

107 posts, read 1,203,017 times

Advertisements

I've heard of a lot of people that love NM because of it's beauty. But is there any part of the entire state that the summers aren't so hot? Is there humidity at all or is it a dry heat? Snow at all in winters? Don't know how the winters are there...but I'm sure having a hard time finding a state and cities with the ideal weather we want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Taos has mild summer weather with low humidity and winter snows.
Santa Fe also has a desirable climate at a higher elevation with low summer humidity.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,259 times
Default A trade-off

It's a trade off. Altitude not latitude drives climate here and at 7,000 feet you rarely get temperatures of 100 or higher. Santa Fe may have hit 100 once. Ruidoso may have hit 101.

But then you will get snow -- not a whole lot by the standards of some places -- but it looks like a lot to the New Mexicans at lower altitudes. Generally, north is higher than south in this state. So cooler or colder -- depending upon how you want to look at it -- tends to be north. Snow tends to melt fast at 7,000 feet IF it gets the sun and snow accumulations tend toward zero. A shaded area may keep its snow cover for a while.

You go higher -- you'll get cooler/colder and more snow. Story is Chama got ten feet last winter and the roof of the grocery collapsed.

Wherever you do go it is a dry heat.

There are microclimates of course and you will see some variation -- but it seems like altitude is the single most important factor.

And it's cooler than Arizona.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-25-2008 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
I chose Santa Fe BECAUSE of the climate...among many other reasons.

Warm summers but snow / cold in the winter. I like the change of season.

I also like that Northern New Mexico cools off in the summer evenings, and that the humidity is low.

I have a friend who goes to Red River, NM several times a year, and she always tells me what a cool climate they have there, even in the summer.

You didn't really say what you are looking for - but every part of NM does NOT have blazing hot summers. (If it did, the members here know that I would not be moving there. )

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

107 posts, read 1,203,017 times
I guess I didn't say what I was looking for lol Sorry! Ok here's the scoop. I grew up in Southern California. I LOOOOVE the weather out there but hate the crime, polution, cost, and croudedness. I wouldn't mind weather in the 90's in the summer, just not humid too. We don't mind a few snowfalls but don't want it to be so cold like in Nebraska where we're at that the kids can't play outside even with coats on and freeze. We really just want winters that are 40's or above and can play outside. And summers that aren't so hot that you cannot go out for a couple hours at a time and have heat stroke. And of course, what the cost of living is. Here we got lucky with the cost of living. Our house was around 100K for a three bedroom. That's insanely low I know but we would be okay with 150's or so for a good solid number. Does that help?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Try the central Rio Grande valley. Albuquerque and south to Truth or Tonsequences.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM

146 posts, read 440,392 times
Have you checked out Alamogordo/Cloudcroft area? Sounds like the climate in Alamo might suit you - no snow in the winter....

*ahhhh* Sorry - said that 4 letter word - s**w! We might get some this afternoon/tonight, and I am SICK of it.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
I guess I didn't say what I was looking for lol Sorry! Ok here's the scoop. I grew up in Southern California. I LOOOOVE the weather out there but hate the crime, polution, cost, and croudedness. I wouldn't mind weather in the 90's in the summer, just not humid too. We don't mind a few snowfalls but don't want it to be so cold like in Nebraska where we're at that the kids can't play outside even with coats on and freeze. We really just want winters that are 40's or above and can play outside. And summers that aren't so hot that you cannot go out for a couple hours at a time and have heat stroke. And of course, what the cost of living is. Here we got lucky with the cost of living. Our house was around 100K for a three bedroom. That's insanely low I know but we would be okay with 150's or so for a good solid number. Does that help?
You will be fine in the higher parts of the state -- if I had to pick a number I'd say 6,000 -- 7,000 feet that would include a variety of places including higher portions of Albuquerque. I live at 6,000 feet and no longer wear my heavy coat -- get by with a denim or leather jacket.

You will be pretty much priced out of Santa Fe. I think you will be okay other places -- but not in every neighborhood. Others should know better.

The sun can be fierce in the summer even when the temperature is not too hot -- you might want to use sun screen if you spend a lot of time outside.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
I agree with Devin Bent, around 6,000 ft is ideal ....Silver City in the southwest NM has a very mild climate ....50's in winter ...high 80's in summer

Also areas of Albuquerque east of Tramway Blvd in Sandia Foothills have a nice mild micro climate too

Anywhere in NM is not super hot like southern Arizona/southern Nevada
it's dry and cools off at nite

Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,068 times
rbmomof3:
Small world....My husband and I just went through cities looking for the "perfect" weather, location, etc...Sounds as if you and I have alot in common. I also grew up in So Cal - it's not the same anymore and you couldn't afford a rental property there most likely. I have heard of several people trying to get out of there but would lose too much with the housing market as it stands. A couple plan to head back to Ne. Yes, we are incredibly lucky to have a very low cost of living, but we are sick & tired of the weather here. I sit here today (in Omaha), and yes it's green, but gray, cloudy, 40ish. We just came back from our prospecting trip last Sun to Abq. All but 1 gorgeous blue, sunny, warm day. And yes, we got snowed on in Taos. I have no concerns about spring, fall (I would be most excited I think about fall), and absolutely no concerns about winter. We will do another July or August trip to make certain it is not intolerable in the summer, but it is nothing like Phoenix (they've already been in upper 90's last week) - that would be intolerable - almost as much as our muggy, hot summer days that tend to keep you inside. Evening would be lovely, I'm sure in NM. I also just sat here thinking about those frigid, icy, snow piled up days all winter, then the thaw, icey morning drives in Feb, Mar. I don't suspect Abq is that much hotter in summer, factoring in our big time humidity. Other than San Diego, we can't see a much better weather picture anywhere in the country. My husband and I are 3 feet (I'm dragging my last foot because of kids/grandbabies) out the door headed for NM in the fall. Good luck to you with your decisions. Hope this has helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico