Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,582,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
The nice thing about Santa Fe is that anybody can visit here 3 years ago in January and turn into an expert.
I know what I the temp was, pal. When I was there, it was frigid. Can I not comment on that, your royal highness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM

Just for grins and giggles I just found that Santa Fe's average low in January is in the teens. My point was that during the day Santa Fe is decently warm, but come nighttime, it gets frigid indeed (which might be too cold for the OP).

Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,051,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just for grins and giggles I just found that Santa Fe's average low in January is in the teens. My point was that during the day Santa Fe is decently warm, but come nighttime, it gets frigid indeed (which might be too cold for the OP).
Might be.

I am glad many people don't like Santa Fe's climate. They all won't be wanting to move there.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM

946 posts, read 3,274,156 times
Default A question of logic

Quote:
I know what I the temp was, pal. When I was there, it was frigid. Can I not comment on that, your royal highness?
No a question of manners.

Please don't call me "pal" or "your royal highness." Thank you.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
No a question of manners.

Please don't call me "pal" or "your royal highness." Thank you.
Then dont be so sarcastic and call me "expert", okay chief?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM

946 posts, read 3,274,156 times
Default manners

Quote:
Then dont be so sarcastic and call me "expert", okay chief?
Now you call me chief.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,633,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
I wouldn't mind weather in the 90's in the summer, just not humid too. We don't mind a few snowfalls....

I know but we would be okay with 150's or so for a good solid number. Does that help?
I live in Ruidoso and it basically never gets hot here (avg high 80 in July)... and if it gets up to 90 (rarely) the humidity is 5%... and in the winter the avg high is 50, and it's sunny. Very mild... but not S Cal mild.

You can get a decent house for $150k but it wouldn't be real easy. If you go 15 miles N to Capitan, that would be easy... even with a a few acres of land.

Here is a good site for climate data:
New Mexico

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,548,896 times
Anyone who calls Santa Fe "frigid" hasn't spent much time where it REALLY is cold. When the temperature is 20 below and the wind is blowing 40 mph--THAT'S frigid. Santa Fe in winter is just typical southern Rocky Mountain cold nights--and not even too bad at that. Also, not much humidity to make it feel colder. A Rocky Mountain native friend of mine who got to spend 2 miserable years living in the Northeast courtesy of the US military always said that 20 above in Boston felt worse than 20 below in the Rockies. From my experience, I would have to agree. All of that said, if below-freezing temperatures are not for you, then stay out of the Rockies--you're not going to like it.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,776,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBQuilts View Post
Have you checked out Alamogordo/Cloudcroft area? Sounds like the climate in Alamo might suit you - no snow in the winter....

*ahhhh* Sorry - said that 4 letter word - s**w! We might get some this afternoon/tonight, and I am SICK of it.
I live in Northeast Ohio, once again, I grew up there and you will know what sick means by means of snow and crappy weather if you've lived there. I moved back to Ohio for family reasons. There's access to everything in Ohio within 10 minutes everywhere, but it's crowded, rude, and not what I like anymore, with the exception of the park system. What does one really need? I'll take ANYTHING that NM offers! The nicest people there in the southwest, I mean it. I miss it, I will get back to New Mexico, someday. I was treated so well there....in work and in free time I want to pass on in New Mexico old, happy, with a walking stick in hand.

Last edited by newmex; 04-25-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM

265 posts, read 875,931 times
Message for rruff.

Nice to hear from someone who actually lives in Ruidoso. Could you please clarify info on snow in Ruidoso. I've read that the average each winter is 47 inches with perhaps 34inches in Ruidoso downs and maybe 24 inches in Capitan. With temps around 50 average and with the sun, it would seem that any snow would melt quickly. I am from northern Illinois, so this sounds like heaven to me. This past winter we got 60 inches and it didn't melt very fast. So I am wondering if there is any real problem in getting around the Ruidoso, Ruidoso Downs, and Capitan areas in a typical winter.

It would seem to me that the area you live in is just about ideal for someone like me who desires a mild 4 season climate. Also do you experience any negatives with respect to the area. Right now, it seems like a very desireable area to live in. I am retired , so job availability is not a problem. Thanks for any comments.

Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico