Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
For those interested in Native American blankets, pottery, baskets, etc. where have you found the best values in New Mexico?
If a good deal (value) is important, Gallup, especially for jewelry, though you'll find lots of rugs. Most of the folks I buy from there are wholesale only and wouldn't let you in the door, but walk the pawn shops and shop, ask questions and make a deal. I can tell you more about pawn in Gallup if you like, but my battery is about shot.
If you're looking for a nice genuine Nav. rug, try the Crownpoint rug auction...colorful as all get-out and the larger rugs tend to go for a relatively good price. Small ones, not so much. Worth a visit if your nearby when they're holding one.
For wonderful selection, probably the best anywhere, Santa Fe. but very high prices at shops an galleries. There is a term in the trade: The Santa Fe Price, usually meaning the high retail.
I hate to say it, but a number of purveyors at Palace of the Governors sell total crap. It's a constant problem there, so be very cautious. People love the idea of buying it "right from the artist" but some vendors take big time advantage of that fact. During my last stroll there I saw all kinds of production stuff you can buy anywhere for less. There are some good folks there who sell their own work, so I hate to tarnish the entire deal (plus the fun of it), but you must know what your doing if you spend much money there. Shop around a LOT.
Most of the rest of SF is great for shopping but not too great in the good deal dept. The best of the best in almost any category can be found in SF.
If you're near Albuquerque I'd suggest Rio Grande Wholesale 1920 Central at the corner of Rio Grande. I am a wholesale customer of long standing there but they sell retail at very reasonable prices. Strong on Navajo, Zuni and Santo Domingo jewelry, Acoma and other pueblo pottery, all kinds of stuff. AND the goods are genuine and of high quality. This is why I buy from them.
Palms Trading at Lomas at 15th is pretty good too.
I buy a lot of Indian jewelry, but all wholesale or from estates or at auction, so I'm not exactly a fountain of info on retail places. Read about stuff before you buy, ask questions, etc.
Look up the IACA website, they have buyers advice on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
We had a custom rug made some years ago at Ortega's Weaving Shop in Chimayo. It was a bit expensive but was a real splurge, and it will last us a lifetime. Their rugs / blankets / placemats / coasters / jackets / purses etc. are really good quality and was worth the splurge for us. We didn't put it on the floor, we hung it on a wall in our house. In our new house I think we will drape it over a pony wall between the hallway and the living room.

The Ortega Shop is really fun to browse around in.

Ortega's in Chimayo.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Smile We're off thread, but make a day of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
We had a custom rug made some years ago at Ortega's Weaving Shop in Chimayo. It was a bit expensive but was a real splurge, and it will last us a lifetime. Their rugs / blankets / placemats / coasters / jackets / purses etc. are really good quality and was worth the splurge for us. We didn't put it on the floor, we hung it on a wall in our house. In our new house I think we will drape it over a pony wall between the hallway and the living room.

The Ortega Shop is really fun to browse around in.

Ortega's in Chimayo.
There are no Native-Americans in sight; instead the Ortegas and pretty much all of Chimayo are Hispanics. Still, it is fun to visit even if we are off-thread, and you can stop at the Sanctuario and cure whatever ails you. El Rancho de Chimayo offers excellent food drawing patrons from both Santa Fe and Taos.

If that doesn't fill your day -- then stop off at Nambe Lake andor Falls.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh oh.

I forgot we were talking about Native American crafts.

Sorry.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Oh oh.

I forgot we were talking about Native American crafts.

Sorry.
We do have some Native Americans nearby in Nambe. I guess everybody knows that Nambe Ware -- sometimes called Nambe Silver -- has little to do with Nambe, with Native Americans, or silver.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM

I LOVE Nambe Ware! I have several pieces of it that I have collected through the years. I have always bought seconds at the factory stores in Santa Fe.

Nambe makes a perfect gift. We gave some nice pieces to both of my children when they got married.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM

127 posts, read 555,011 times
For Zuni Arts and Crafts here is a list of where to buy when your in Zuni:

All Tribes Indian Market
Phone: (505) 782-5959

Craftsman Co-op
Phone: (505) 782-4521 OR 1-888-926-1842

Creative Arts
Phone: (505) 782-5864

Galeria Poblano & Studio
Phone: (505) 782-2156

IDIWANA Carvings
Phone: (505) 782-4946

Pueblo Trading
Phone: (505) 782-5555 OR (505) 782-2296
Pueblo Trading Post - Zuni, New Mexico

Pueblo Traders
Phone: (505) 782-4545

Silver Rain Jewelry
Phone: (505) 782-2490

Turquoise Village
Phone: (505) 782-4892 OR 1-800-748-2405
Turquoise Village: Southwestern Turquoise jewelry, Zuni Fetishes, Indian pottery

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Prices won't be much or any better at Zuni Pueblo, but it's definitely worth a visit to the Pueblo to shop. Very nice, friendly people and wonderful art and crafts.
I've done biz with Turquoise Village for a long time and some at Pueblo Traders..both stock quality goods as do most of the other places listed. If the Tribal co-op is still in business I'd go there, too. That's another situation where artists don't neccessarily make good businesspeople, so there has been financial trouble keeping it going.
See if you can visit the church under restoration at Zuni....access is an on-again/off-again thing, but ask around.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Ortega's is one of a few Hispanic weaving places in Chimayo, and while not NA, their work is as authentically New Mexican as any Indian crafts. Hispanic weavers were working the looms in New Mexico long before the Navajo began making silver jewelry. Navajo weaving, of course, is very different in design, technique, etc. than the Chimayo and Rio Grande weaving tradition. Both good, but different.
Bonus: lunch at the Rancho Chimayo!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
There are no Native-Americans in sight; instead the Ortegas and pretty much all of Chimayo are Hispanics. Still, it is fun to visit even if we are off-thread, and you can stop at the Sanctuario and cure whatever ails you. El Rancho de Chimayo offers excellent food drawing patrons from both Santa Fe and Taos.

If that doesn't fill your day -- then stop off at Nambe Lake andor Falls.
That's beside the point. I was glad to have the link...their blankets, rugs and accessories look GORGEOUS.

I may just tear off and buy a blanket for a bedspread one day, expensive or not, LOL!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico