Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM

261 posts, read 938,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I usally buy something from them each year. The tourist office says that they have to be from the tribe and certain percent true to the tribe. Last year bought a braclet from a Navojo (sp) man. Love it.
Of course it is really neat to visit the Governer's Palace every year. I am a weaver myself and find the weaving in New Mexico to be very and I mean very high. Of couse, their weaving is far superior to mine but still it is a bit much.

It's spelled "Navajo".
If you're a weaver and get the chance, check out this place next trip to New Mexico.
Tierra Wools • Organic Yarn• Los Ojos Handweavers, LLC • Rio Grande Blankets, Rugs & Apparel#

Be careful when buying jewelry in Farmington. I've noticed that the quality has gone waaaaaay down over the years. there are still some fine artisans, but there is also more junk than ever before. Much of it, especially earrings and necklaces, are nothing more than imported crap components that are assembled on someone's kitchen table Saturday morning and then peddled Saturday afternoon to unsuspecting chumps. To avoid spending your hard earned money on crap, I suggest Fifth Generation, Benallys, Shiprock Trading, or one of the other established trading posts in Farmington. For rugs you can trust Bob French in Waterflow. Of course, Crownpoint is way fun, and if you have LOTS of time and patience you can hit Two Grey Hills trading post 40 miles south of Shiprock. In the middle of nowhere.

About 35 years ago when I was running a milk route to the schools and trading posts on the rez I'd buy rugs from the weavers on the way. As a kid, we never considered them art per se, but simply very sturdy horse blankets. I still have a few. There are folks here in the Four Corners who have collections that stretch back a couple of generations or more that are stunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I absolutely love going to the Palace of the Governors to look at the stuff the Indians are selling. I also have been told the jewelry needs to be "authentic", as in actually made by the Indians at their pueblos/reservations. It doesn't really matter to me...

What I love the most is the interaction with the Native Americans who are selling there. I love to engage them in conversation .. some of them will talk to you and some won't. It is also fun to hear them speaking their native languages.
Towanda, it should matter to you.
The sale and display of jewelry at Palace of the Governors has been halted more than once, for periods of time, when foreign made "fake Indian" jewelry on sale there became so rampant no one could ignore it. It's a constant battle, not only there but in shops and shows all over the country, with very little enforcement of existing laws.
I encourage people to visit the plaza or the pueblos, talk to the craftspeople and buy genuine quality goods. But tribal affiliation or skin color or a good story is no guarantee of quality, genuine Indian crafts. This is why I encourage people to take a little time to learn about stuff...you'll enjoy what you buy even more when you know more about it and you'll encourage NA craftspeople to keep making the genuine article.
One good place to start: Welcome to IACA Website look under resources and FAQs.
These artists have a very hard time competing (& making a living) against foreign imports...which is why I am harping on the education issue.
By doing so I don't want to diminish the fun of finding something you love and interacting with a craftsperson or a knowledgeable shopkeeper...it's a very rewarding part of collecting and "treasure hunting" that can be lots of memorable fun and sometimes results in a priceless friendship.
I just like to see the NA people struggling to create the "real deal" make a living and continue their lifes work.
OK.....end of sermon.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 36,037 times
Why don't you go out to the nearby revervations and buy right from the makers themselves. You would help the families making the crafts(for some this is thier only income) meet friendly poeple, see NM, and maybe be invited for dinner. Also the money goes right to the artist and not to the dealers who mark up the prices a lot especially in SF

Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM

127 posts, read 556,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisa29 View Post
Why don't you go out to the nearby revervations and buy right from the makers themselves. You would help the families making the crafts(for some this is thier only income) meet friendly poeple, see NM, and maybe be invited for dinner. Also the money goes right to the artist and not to the dealers who mark up the prices a lot especially in SF
So true. Many people here rely on there crafts here in Zuni. Most artists sell their stuff to Jewelry shops and Arts Stores. Most of the time they are getting screwed. They sell their stuff for little, than the buyer sells it for double or even triple. It's best to go straight to artists. My mom still makes bracelets when she gets orders, but the price of silver is outrageous. She just takes small orders like baby bracelets. And most buyers don't understand how much the silver price is and they still want the crafts for less. Some of these artists go to many stores to sell there stuff until they find the right taking price. But most will take whatever they could get.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
So true. Many people here rely on there crafts here in Zuni. Most artists sell their stuff to Jewelry shops and Arts Stores. Most of the time they are getting screwed. They sell their stuff for little, than the buyer sells it for double or even triple. It's best to go straight to artists. My mom still makes bracelets when she gets orders, but the price of silver is outrageous. She just takes small orders like baby bracelets. And most buyers don't understand how much the silver price is and they still want the crafts for less. Some of these artists go to many stores to sell there stuff until they find the right taking price. But most will take whatever they could get.
Your post goes to the heart of the problem with "going out to the reservation" and buying. If someone has an afternoon to wander, where do they find an artist with goods for sale? Just knock on doors? It's a nice idea, and I do it because I know people, but it's not very practical for a day visitor unless some happy accident occurs. I doubt your Mom keeps a stash of bracelets to sell, or that a casual visitor to Zuni could ever find her.
Also (and this goes to the current sky high silver price) most Indian jewelry artists I know operate pretty hand-to-mouth, and just can't afford to keep lots of inventory hanging around waiting for someone to come knocking. They buy (or are given supplies by a trader who has made an order) supplies and silver, make the jewelry and sell it immediately in order to buy gas and food and more supplies to make more jewelry. The "name' jewelers I buy from just work from orders and, even though they can afford it, don't keep merchandise around either.
I make orders with people, but if I had to crawl all over the place trying to buy enough jewelry to put in my shop it would take forever. Thus, I also deal with traders, middlemen, who have the money to buy and stock a lot of supplies, silver, turquoise and finished inventory and who are there most every day waiting to buy whenever someone has something to sell.
To do this a trader has to mark up jewelry, just like retail businesses do, if they want to stay in business.
I don't see traders doubling or tripling a price paid to the craftsperson...I can weigh silver and see what the raw cost of goods is, and have frequently sat in on buying what comes in the front door. I see more of a 10 to 20% mark up by wholesalers, though there certainly could be some taking much higher markups. This is especially true in Zuni and Gallup, where certain Middle Eastern dealers really push artists hard for a low price.
I like to spend my money directly with the person who made the goodies, but it's not always possible to do so and it can be a very frustrating experience at times. Both Navajo and Zuni tribes have sales and distribution businesses or co-ops, but their business is not real big and also requires a markup.
The Palace of the Governors, the Plaza in Old Town Albuquerque and some other spots provide a place for an artist and a tourist to interact, which can be lots of fun, but one must still be cautious when buying.
I hope the silver price comes back down and that your Mom can be successful making and selling her things.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM

946 posts, read 3,273,493 times
Default Knock on doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Your post goes to the heart of the problem with "going out to the reservation" and buying. If someone has an afternoon to wander, where do they find an artist with goods for sale? Just knock on doors? It's a nice idea, and I do it because I know people, but it's not very practical for a day visitor unless some happy accident occurs.
In general this is true and your advice is all good.

But two pueblos north of Santa Fe -- San Ildefonso and Santa Clara -- have artists whose signs are visible from the roads and San Ildefonso has a visitor's office where you stop, pay a nominal fee to visit the pueblo and get a map of the pueblo with the location of the artists who receive potential buyers.

But

1. We are not talking about the full range of arts or crafts -- there is no tradition in these pueblos of jewelry or weavings -- both are best known for pottery and then painting. If I am wrong about this -- somebody please correct me.

2. I do think it shows respect when visiting someone's community (& these pueblos have traditions dating back to circa 1300 in approximately their present locations) to know something about these communities.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
In general this is true and your advice is all good.

But two pueblos north of Santa Fe -- San Ildefonso and Santa Clara -- have artists whose signs are visible from the roads and San Ildefonso has a visitor's office where you stop, pay a nominal fee to visit the pueblo and get a map of the pueblo with the location of the artists who receive potential buyers.

But

1. We are not talking about the full range of arts or crafts -- there is no tradition in these pueblos of jewelry or weavings -- both are best known for pottery and then painting. If I am wrong about this -- somebody please correct me.

2. I do think it shows respect when visiting someone's community (& these pueblos have traditions dating back to circa 1300 in approximately their present locations) to know something about these communities.
This can also be done here in Zuni. You can go to the Visitor Center and ask where they can buy jewelry straight from the Artists. Some artists have signs for their shops. Also you can ask the Arts and Crafts store here in Zuni and ask for information about the artists.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Your post goes to the heart of the problem with "going out to the reservation" and buying. If someone has an afternoon to wander, where do they find an artist with goods for sale? Just knock on doors? It's a nice idea, and I do it because I know people, but it's not very practical for a day visitor unless some happy accident occurs. I doubt your Mom keeps a stash of bracelets to sell, or that a casual visitor to Zuni could ever find her.
Also (and this goes to the current sky high silver price) most Indian jewelry artists I know operate pretty hand-to-mouth, and just can't afford to keep lots of inventory hanging around waiting for someone to come knocking. They buy (or are given supplies by a trader who has made an order) supplies and silver, make the jewelry and sell it immediately in order to buy gas and food and more supplies to make more jewelry. The "name' jewelers I buy from just work from orders and, even though they can afford it, don't keep merchandise around either.
I make orders with people, but if I had to crawl all over the place trying to buy enough jewelry to put in my shop it would take forever. Thus, I also deal with traders, middlemen, who have the money to buy and stock a lot of supplies, silver, turquoise and finished inventory and who are there most every day waiting to buy whenever someone has something to sell.
To do this a trader has to mark up jewelry, just like retail businesses do, if they want to stay in business.
I don't see traders doubling or tripling a price paid to the craftsperson...I can weigh silver and see what the raw cost of goods is, and have frequently sat in on buying what comes in the front door. I see more of a 10 to 20% mark up by wholesalers, though there certainly could be some taking much higher markups. This is especially true in Zuni and Gallup, where certain Middle Eastern dealers really push artists hard for a low price.
I like to spend my money directly with the person who made the goodies, but it's not always possible to do so and it can be a very frustrating experience at times. Both Navajo and Zuni tribes have sales and distribution businesses or co-ops, but their business is not real big and also requires a markup.
The Palace of the Governors, the Plaza in Old Town Albuquerque and some other spots provide a place for an artist and a tourist to interact, which can be lots of fun, but one must still be cautious when buying.
I hope the silver price comes back down and that your Mom can be successful making and selling her things.
It's getting real difficult for artists around here to try and sell their stuff. Most of the artists have to go into Gallup to sell their stuff. Some just make their stuff, while others have orders. My mother has orders from buyers she has known for over ten years. She has established herself with the buyers knowing they can get quality bracelets. Most artist here attend art fairs and shows were they can setup a booth and sell their items straight to consumers. Gallup needs to setup some sort of Arts fair or have weekend selling markets. I think this would help local artists a lot. The only thing I've seen something close to this is at Earl's restaurant, where you can setup a table and sell from there. I also do hope that the price of silver goes down for the sake of silversmiths everywhere.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM

946 posts, read 3,273,493 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
It's getting real difficult for artists around here to try and sell their stuff. Most of the artists have to go into Gallup to sell their stuff. Some just make their stuff, while others have orders. My mother has orders from buyers she has known for over ten years. She has established herself with the buyers knowing they can get quality bracelets. Most artist here attend art fairs and shows were they can setup a booth and sell their items straight to consumers. Gallup needs to setup some sort of Arts fair or have weekend selling markets. I think this would help local artists a lot. The only thing I've seen something close to this is at Earl's restaurant, where you can setup a table and sell from there. I also do hope that the price of silver goes down for the sake of silversmiths everywhere.
That seems to be true around here also. It used to be that Santa Fe tourists took motor tours to the pueblos and the Hispanic villages. And the tourists provided a consistent stream of buyers. Go on eBay and you will see that just about everyone's great aunt seems to have a Chimayo weaving in her attic.

But now Santa Fe itself is the destination and the local artists have a hard time getting shown in the shops.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,225,870 times
I don't have a lot to add about the rugs except that I think they're beautiful and I've been planning on buying one for a wall decoration for several years. I've restricted myself to just looking at them when I'm in Indian country, trying to get a better idea of what I want. I expect to spend $500-$1000 for my first piece and I know it will look beautiful in my home.

As far as the jewelry, I sorta like the turquoise silver stuff but I've about sworn off because the inlays fall out after only 1-2 years of wear. That stuff isn't that expensive, perhaps $25-$35 for a modest wrist bracelet, but I hate it when I grow to liking something and then it falls apart and I can't wear it anymore. It's not the cost. It's just knowing that it's temporary.

I've bought heavier stuff (not flat bands) and that stuff holds up, like a belt buckle I've got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico