Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 02:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are leaving in a few weeks to drive to AZ from VA to see our new grandson. What a crazy time to do this but he is 4 months old now and circumstance for my wife's work and our sons work allows for a good lone trip. We'll get on I-40 and come all the way across and keep going. I realize a lot can still happen in a few weeks but I am curious on what we'll face while in NM. We plan on bringing a couple of coolers and eating sandwiches and such and if we want restaurant food we'll do drive-thru or curbside. But what restrictions are we looking at on this drive? If any. I hate not having as hotel reservations lined up for each night but is this a good idea right now? I know getting breakfast the hotels is likely out but we can live with that. Any suggestions on what me might expect on this drive? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 08:00 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wife and I are leaving in a few weeks to drive to AZ from VA to see our new grandson. What a crazy time to do this but he is 4 months old now and circumstance for my wife's work and our sons work allows for a good lone trip. We'll get on I-40 and come all the way across and keep going. I realize a lot can still happen in a few weeks but I am curious on what we'll face while in NM. We plan on bringing a couple of coolers and eating sandwiches and such and if we want restaurant food we'll do drive-thru or curbside. But what restrictions are we looking at on this drive? If any. I hate not having as hotel reservations lined up for each night but is this a good idea right now? I know getting breakfast the hotels is likely out but we can live with that. Any suggestions on what me might expect on this drive? Thanks.
Everyplace except HI is a high risk state
https://cv.nmhealth.org/travel-recommendations/
High-risk states: Persons who have arrived in New Mexico from states with a 5% positivity rate or greater over a 7-day rolling average, or a positive test rate greater than 80 per 1 million residents, must physically separate from others in a residence or place of lodging for at least 14 days from the date of their entry into New Mexico or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter.

So unless you want to hang around a while, I'd limit your stops in NM to necessity. You also might think about whether the trip itself is necessary. There is a pandemic, after all.

Also the fact that other states don't have these recommendations doesn't mean they shouldn't. Just because you don't have to self-quarantine upon arrival in AZ doesn't mean its not a good idea. The states on both east and west sides of it (with Democratic governors) are recommending it.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:11 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I wouldn't want to expose a 4 month old child to the possibility of the virus. Can't you ZOOM or Skype? I can imagine your eagerness to hold and cuddle a little one, but is it best for him? Are you being selfish? You really need to examine why you are so determined to do this.

I love NM and AZ but you won't find me on a road trip. Not for myself, but for others as I reside in Texas a state with zero limitations and where the virus is out of control. I love the residents way too much to potentially put them at risk.

Don't do it.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:06 PM

I really should not have to explain that we are all well enough informed and old enough to make decisions. Of course we know there is a pandemic. Of course we know the risks. But there are circumstances I need not go into on here that contribute why going now (mid Dec) is important. That said. I do appreciate the concern but I am looking for info on what we can expect on things being opened or closed. We will NOT be eating inside restaurants but of course we'll need bathroom breaks somewhere. Hotels are unavoidable of course. Due to issues with my legs we can only be in the car maybe 8 hours a day meaning a few hotels on the way.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
So, does anyone actually know what the state of NM is requiring/enforcing for travelers going THRU?

Old 11-22-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
So, does anyone actually know what the state of NM is requiring/enforcing for travelers going THRU?
I saw a map of the US a few days ago listing this but I figured it would change by the time we leave. We wear the mask so that is not an issue.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:28 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I’m assuming you are asking these questions in other states along I-40. What are they saying? We see a lot of seemingly clueless or careless out of state visitors in NM who decided to visit during the pandemic so I’m not surprised by the cautionary tone of the responses. At this point, I think that bathroom breaks might be a challenge along the interstate as even fast food spots are open only for drive through and with reduced occupancy, there are lines in some places to get into the stores that are still open. Truck stops might work and there might be a map showing locations. Of course, once in your hotel room you will need to stay put. Carry some breakfast food with you or drive through to get breakfast. Maybe you can get food delivered to a hotel.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:45 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
If you have to spend a night in New Mexico, I would stay in Santa Rosa at a good chain hotel as Guadalupe County has fewer cases and a lower positivity rate. Ask for a first floor room and do not use the elevator. Moriarty, NM might be another good option. Both towns are east of Albuquerque. COVID cases are high or starting to rise in the western part of the state near the Navajo Nation and in Albuquerque. Tucumcari does not look good either and Amarillo and the Texas Panhandle have been hard hit by COVID. I have no knowledge of Oklahoma. The New Mexico Department of Health COVID-19 Dashboard shows the different counties color coded with cases, positivity rates, etc.

There are several rest stops east of Albuquerque on I-40 and at least one west of Albuquerque and another at the border. Don't know if these are being shut down due to COVID or not. But this might be safer than stopping at truck stops for bathroom breaks.

New Mexico mandates that you wear a mask both inside and outside in public places. There is only takeout dining so fast food restaurant restrooms may not be available except at a truck stop - not sure because I rarely go to fast food restaurants. Grocery stores are limited to 75 people so there could be a line out front to get in if you need to buy more groceries. Hotels that have been certified safe are limited to 25% occupancy and other hotels are closed. So you may want to make a reservation or call ahead before you get there.

If the situation improves or worsens, some of these restrictions may change by the time of your trip. The state plans to go to a 3 tier system where the restrictions vary from county to county.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 11-22-2020 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-22-2020, 04:49 PM

142 posts, read 243,558 times
A website that may provide some information about roads and road stops is NMRoads.com. They have info also about rest areas and ones that are closed. I agree about choosing a decent hotel chain for all reasons of safety. Personally, I would not stay near Gallup due to increases in COVID. Albuquerque where I live also has very high amount of cases with 710 cases today and 33 deaths for the state today. Lots of semi traffic on I-40 through NM and can be in all lanes of traffic vs. VA.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:31 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Utter selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico