Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,878,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
As of Friday, I was informed by my A-Town future employer, that they needed to recant on their original offer....by a little more than 10K!!!!! HR came back and said they actually couldn't meet the official offer that my future Boss there originally proposed for me, when I was out there visiting.

Um, NO. I'm pretty much appalled that this professional entity has such egregiously poor communication infrastructure. I sure hope this isn't a statewide/small NM community-type of phenomenon, 'cause I was not impressed by experiencing this. Oh, well. I'm a bit down. So much for my Alamo.

On to Silver City! Tell me if I'll enjoy it, please. I want to feel better about all of this, especially since my A-Town choice folded.
Hiking? Exactly where? Are there lakes or rivers for water activities, like kayaking or swimming? Can I economically own a horse? Young people (late 20s-early 30s?)? What are the grocery/clothing/retail outlets there? Is there a Super-WalMart (please??) ? What about excellent Family Practice docs, who care about their patients? What's the healthcare/hospital reputation there? What's it like there in the summertime? Winter weather frigid?? I need to rent...Where do I live?? Good, clean, (scenic?) reasonably sized apartment suggestions, please.

As for cost-of-living, I'll be making around 52-53K, so I'm hoping I could do okay there on that, as I'm single. I'd like to own a place/some property for animals, eventually.

THANKS, EVERYONE!!!
Silver City is also very nice, but it is a small town. The mountains are beautiful and you have a whole wilderness area around you. You're close enough to Las Cruces, El Paso, Deming for city kinds of activities, there are plenty of horses in that area and good riding trails. The lakes are very nice, not so much for skiing and boating but there's always Elephant Butte and Caballo for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM

22 posts, read 118,138 times
Quote:
As of Friday, I was informed by my A-Town future employer, that they needed to recant on their original offer....by a little more than 10K!!!!! HR came back and said they actually couldn't meet the official offer that my future Boss there originally proposed for me, when I was out there visiting.

Um, NO. I'm pretty much appalled that this professional entity has such egregiously poor communication infrastructure. I sure hope this isn't a statewide/small NM community-type of phenomenon, 'cause I was not impressed by experiencing this. Oh, well. I'm a bit down. So much for my Alamo.

On to Silver City! Tell me if I'll enjoy it, please. I want to feel better about all of this, especially since my A-Town choice folded.
Hiking? Exactly where? Are there lakes or rivers for water activities, like kayaking or swimming? Can I economically own a horse? Young people (late 20s-early 30s?)? What are the grocery/clothing/retail outlets there? Is there a Super-WalMart (please??) ? What about excellent Family Practice docs, who care about their patients? What's the healthcare/hospital reputation there? What's it like there in the summertime? Winter weather frigid?? I need to rent...Where do I live?? Good, clean, (scenic?) reasonably sized apartment suggestions, please.

As for cost-of-living, I'll be making around 52-53K, so I'm hoping I could do okay there on that, as I'm single. I'd like to own a place/some property for animals, eventually.

THANKS, EVERYONE!!!
If you are a horse person I think that you will like the Silver City area-------we have looked at property and watched Silver for 6-7 years planning our retirement and we think it looks like a great place. And from what I can determine 53k would give you a good living in Silver City.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM

111 posts, read 239,267 times
Silver City also has a small 4 yr university (Western NM) so there should be some entertainment and cultural options there. (probably an advantage over Alamo which only has a 2 yr branch of NMSU)

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 AM

21 posts, read 52,220 times
Default Alamogordo or Silver City, NM

Well, we've been trying to decide between the two for several years now, and have pretty much decided on the Alamogordo area, probably La Luz, but Silver City still has a lot of appeal. The two are so different, it's hard to choose.

Any input on La Luz??

Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieburger View Post
Any input on La Luz??
Small ....maybe about 500 people. There is a small Post Office and the La Luz grocery market there.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM

215 posts, read 841,714 times
Quote:
What about excellent Family Practice docs
I've found the doctor search difficult in Alamogordo. I go to a different one each year, hoping to find one who meets my idea of "good." I've given up on "excellent." Southern NM is mostly rural, and rural areas typically have a hard time attracting the best in any field. I've heard good things about one particular GP in Alamo, but there's a 10-month waiting list for new patients.

Quote:
As for cost-of-living, I'll be making around 52-53K
Not sure about Silver City, but I think you could do quite well in Alamo in a modest house with a modest lifestyle. Try a realtor.com search for an idea of real estate prices. I'm mostly retired now with no debt, and I could live like a king on 50 grand. Even if I were still paying off my mortgage, I could do just fine on that.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 PM

15 posts, read 64,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I've found the doctor search difficult in Alamogordo. I go to a different one each year, hoping to find one who meets my idea of "good." I've given up on "excellent." Southern NM is mostly rural, and rural areas typically have a hard time attracting the best in any field. I've heard good things about one particular GP in Alamo, but there's a 10-month waiting list for new patients.

Not sure about Silver City, but I think you could do quite well in Alamo in a modest house with a modest lifestyle. Try a realtor.com search for an idea of real estate prices. I'm mostly retired now with no debt, and I could live like a king on 50 grand. Even if I were still paying off my mortgage, I could do just fine on that.
Thanks, but as I updated a few days earlier, Alamo is now out of the equation. My main concerns are about Silver City.

1. How safe is SC and surrounding vicinity?? I am young and female.

2. Where to live (reasonably priced rentals)? I prefer apartments, but would settle for a modest rental house, if reasonably priced. I have found NOTHING online, in my searches.

3. What are some nearby communities I could investigate for housing options, within very reasonable commuting time??

4. OOH! Tell me about this food-coop. I LOVE fresh, healthy groceries.

5. Where to hike? Horse rentals?? (anyone willing to exchange some riding some for some horse/barn upkeep laboring?? I'm plenty willing to get my hands dirty, thank you!!!

6. Names of fantastic MDs or DOs in SC or nearby, please.

Thanks, everyone!

PS. rain? snow? What should I expect with this?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but as I updated a few days earlier, Alamo is now out of the equation. My main concerns are about Silver City.
I think you missed my point. Most of southern NM is basically rural and small-town, at least compared with the ABQ area. The pros and cons I mentioned are not unique to the Alamo area. Silver City is different from Alamo in many ways, but it's relatively rural and so will have similar limitations. I'm not saying there are no "fantastic" doctors in SC (I have no idea). I'm just saying you might have to look hard and/or be lucky to find one. You also might want to be more specific about what you want in a doctor. People's taste in doctors is very subjective. Finally, there's no advertising allowed here, so no one will be able to simply post a name for you.

As for crime, weather, and nearby communities, that info is right here on City Data's Silver City profile.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 64,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I think you missed my point. Most of southern NM is basically rural and small-town, at least compared with the ABQ area. The pros and cons I mentioned are not unique to the Alamo area. Silver City is different from Alamo in many ways, but it's relatively rural and so will have similar limitations. I'm not saying there are no "fantastic" doctors in SC (I have no idea). I'm just saying you might have to look hard and/or be lucky to find one. You also might want to be more specific about what you want in a doctor. People's taste in doctors is very subjective. Finally, there's no advertising allowed here, so no one will be able to simply post a name for you.

As for crime, weather, and nearby communities, that info is right here on City Data's Silver City profile.
Sorry if I "missed your point", but I don't believe I did. Alamo and SC sound quite divergent from each other in multiple facets, including population, COL, climate, recreational opportunities etc. Of course, I have already read the SC profile on the CD main site. However, I am trying to glean ANECDOTAL input/experience from those who have actually lived or currently DO reside in SC. Big difference from what a page of statistical data can provide, ya know??
I DO appreciate the time and efforts everyone in investing in my thread. What can I say? I ADMIT that I am very anxious, second-guessing this move, and definitely needing some reassurance from those who might so kindly pride it.
Thanks.

P.S. I am looking for a reasonably adept generalist MD, who is concerned on a holistic level for my health (mind/body), listens to me and works WITH me. Someone who CARES and doesn't look to just "collect" on me, and push me out the door. My exceptional MD here is mentor/life coach (of sorts) for me, and I am suffering terribly over the thought of leaving his care.

Last edited by SeekingJoy; 05-22-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: doctor issues

Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 PM

That's OK. I give up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico