Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times

Advertisements

We're taking the kids with us on our trip to check out NM. The plan is to leave here Friday June the 20th after work, spend the night at a friend's place in another part of the state (getting in five hours of drive time that night) and leaving the next morning for NM. We're looking at about 17 hours then. Arriving late Saturday, early Sunday in Alamogordo. Spend Sunday, Monday and part of Tuesday in Alamo, then Tuesday night, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and friday night in Albuquerque. Possibly heading to Tres Piedras to check out the one place there on Saturday before heading back, to make it back to TN by Sunday.

While in Alamo, we plan on trying to meet up with Jane (chilegal) sometime. We also intend to see: White Sands, the Alameda Park Zoo, & the Space Center. We'd like to do the moonlit bike ride at White Sands as well.
Out of Alamo and side trips to check out Moriarty and Mountainair on the way.

In Albuquerque we intend to walk the Old Town, visit Rio Grande Nature Center, Rio Grande zoo, the Indian Pueblo center, the Petroglyph monument and the NM Museum of Natural History.

Of course none of this is set in stone, it's just the general idea. Any thoughts? We want to make this as fun a trip for the kids as possible, while gathering as much info about the areas we're interested in as well. Any recommendations on restaurants? The kids are seven, nine and fifteen.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
We're taking the kids with us on our trip to check out NM. The plan is to leave here Friday June the 20th after work, spend the night at a friend's place in another part of the state (getting in five hours of drive time that night) and leaving the next morning for NM. We're looking at about 17 hours then. Arriving late Saturday, early Sunday in Alamogordo. Spend Sunday, Monday and part of Tuesday in Alamo, then Tuesday night, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and friday night in Albuquerque. Possibly heading to Tres Piedras to check out the one place there on Saturday before heading back, to make it back to TN by Sunday.

While in Alamo, we plan on trying to meet up with Jane (chilegal) sometime. We also intend to see: White Sands, the Alameda Park Zoo, & the Space Center. We'd like to do the moonlit bike ride at White Sands as well.
Out of Alamo and side trips to check out Moriarty and Mountainair on the way.

In Albuquerque we intend to walk the Old Town, visit Rio Grande Nature Center, Rio Grande zoo, the Indian Pueblo center, the Petroglyph monument and the NM Museum of Natural History.

Of course none of this is set in stone, it's just the general idea. Any thoughts? We want to make this as fun a trip for the kids as possible, while gathering as much info about the areas we're interested in as well. Any recommendations on restaurants? The kids are seven, nine and fifteen.

Thank you.
The only restaurant I can recommend in Alamo is the new Alamo Grill....just really good food....Mexican, steaks, sandwiches, salads...the menu is wide, but not deep. It's located on the far north end of the main drag, White Sands Blvd! Have a safe trip!!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Sounds like you are well planned out man. Central in Abq is an interesting place too. I like to drink and eat at Maloneys there.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
When you come to Alamo, try to do the sunset stroll at White Sands. White Sands National Monument - Guided Tours (U.S. National Park Service)
And if you have time, take a ride up to Cloud Croft, just to experience the temp change if nothing else.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Jane

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
I'd throw in Explora for the kids (of all ages) for the kids. It's right next to the Natural History Museum in Abuquerque. It's sort of an interactive science exploratorium kind of thing, but it has stuff for all ages. There's a nice park with a big playground just south of Explora/NHM as well.
If you're looking for full on kid fun there's Cliff's amusement park on San Mateo the Putt-Putt golf on San Mateo or Hinkley family fun center up in the heights. Hinkley has a little of everything, including an arcade, mini-golf, paint ball, inner tube war pond, etc...

The Tram up to the Sandia Crest can be a fun experience for kids who aren't obviously uncomfortable with heights.

Up the Mesa from Petroglyph there's an R/C airport. Obviously it would depend on who happens to be flying, but the kids might enjoy even seeing static models.

There's a train that travels around the zoo and another on a separate loop that connects the zoo to The Botanical Gardens and Tingley Beach. You can get tickets at the station in the 'African' section of the zoo. They had a great 'human gerbil' play area at the zoo but it's closed for maintenance. Hopefully it'll be finished up by June. Seal feeding is at 10:30 and there's a cool show with all sorts of birds flying around and other animals at 11:00 near the Cottonwood Cafe.

The Botanical Gardens is gorgeous, and has a section that is made to look as if you've been miniaturized, with giant ants, veggies and stuff. The new 'Japanese Garden' in the back is gorgeous and there's a 'working farm' section with livestock the kids can check out. There's a butterfly pavillion where you actually go in and the butterflies frolic about. There's also a large scale model train track.

Right next to the Botanical Gardens is the Aquarium. It's not huge, but the displays are very nicely done. There's a theater with a great movie about the Rio Grande and valley.

Moriarity airport hosts a very large glider community. If you're into that kind of thing it can be interesting to watch all the activities around the gliders. There used to be a pilot out there that had his license signed off by Orville.

Have fun!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
If you get up to Santa Fe, the Cowgirl Hall of Fame has a back patio with a playground for the kids. You can sip margaritas and watch your children swing around like monkeys.

The Santa Fe Children's Museum is a great place for kids and adults.

Alamogordo has a few restaurants, my favorite being Ramona's if it is still there. I can't say their culinary choices are very good. When the Applebees opened it was like the whole town had to try it.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post

Alamogordo has a few restaurants, my favorite being Ramona's if it is still there. I can't say their culinary choices are very good.
Ramona's is now the Alamo Grill.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Thanks for the ideas.
I think we'll probably pass on Hinkleys unless the kids get major bored. We live minutes away from Pigeon Forge, TN (choke, gag, ick) and get alllll the exposure to carny type things we want there, lol!

I like the train idea, can't say the same for the tram. THIS kid isn't fond of heights. Has something to do with being raised in Eastern Ky with suspended rope bridges and such.... ;-)

So... we chose a hotel with full breakfasts in both towns, so that's taken care of- but where're we gonna eat in Alamo? I'd really like to stay out of chains, but it looks like we may have to- or at least travel for food. Anywhere nearby we HAVE to eat? Made sure we got rooms in both towns with micros and fridges too for the kid's leftovers and snacks.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Hey you guys, thanks for this thread and all the "kid" places you listed, especially in ABQ. I will be having my four year old grand-daughter coming to visit in the fall, and I am going to save this list for a reference then.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
So... we chose a hotel with full breakfasts in both towns, so that's taken care of- but where're we gonna eat in Alamo?
Is this for the main meals? Do you want local food? There are a lof of places, and the Alamo Grill is good, along with other places. All will depend on what you are doing and where you are. There is a thread that Cathy rated the Alamo restaurants, but you have to remember she likes things more spicy than I do..LOL
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico