Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,126 times

Advertisements

Who decides they're unnecessary? Do you even know what a McMansion is? Generally a McMansion is more energy efficient than a 50 year old home.

I can take you to entire subdivisions that have enemy efficient homes. Not just one or two. My 2500 sq ft home uses less energy than nearly everyone I know with homes much smaller.

You generalize with the best of us. So don't get your undies in a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,638,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Who decides they're unnecessary?
Fortunately for your "energy efficient" subdivision, not me

Quote:
Do you even know what a McMansion is?
McMansion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Generally a McMansion is more energy efficient than a 50 year old home.
But anyways, who was talking about a 50 year old home? Why get stuck on 50? Why don't you bring in the dugout your great grandma could have lived in in 1900? By the way, 50 years ago the average size of a single family home was probably half of what you are living in today. Guess the people just got bigger, no?

Quote:
I can take you to entire subdivisions that have enemy efficient homes. Not just one or two. My 2500 sq ft home uses less energy than nearly everyone I know with homes much smaller.

You generalize with the best of us. So don't get your undies in a bunch.
I am thinking the last line in your post is a personal attack?

Congrats on your 2500 sqft "McMansion" home, I am sure you need that much space and you are proud of all the space and materials that went into building the monster. Your subdivision should have a celebration. By the way, the median size of a US home is near 2100 sqft.

One 2500 sqft home = two 1250 sqft homes, no? So long as it is more energy efficient compared to your grandpa's 1930s home, you look like a genius. Next thing you need is an Escalade (which is probably much more energy efficient than Ford Model T).

Back to self-sufficiency - powering up, heating, cooling etc. a large McMansion, even on self-sufficient basis still uses a lot more energy than a comparably built smaller home. Most people who want to be off the grid also build smaller footprint homes - it is just a sensible thing to do. A proper home is built with materials found in the area (if you live in a rocky place a stone home, if you live in a wooded place, wood, if you live near clay, adobe etc.). NM has tons of sunshine so obviously it would be a crime to be on the electric grid....

OD

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM

As usual you have no clue. My McMansion was built in the late 1800's and is 5 blocks from old town. Built out of Adobe. Completely remodeled to met current codes 4 years ago running solar. I am on the grid, but I do like my technology.

I don't need an escalade. Already have and Infiniti. I do also have a gas guzzling truck and ride a bike to work 3-4 days a week.

I do like my subdivision. Some homes are much older than mine. Makes it unique and quaint.

If you think that was a personal attack, then you definitely need to live like a hermit because you have very thin skin.

Last edited by NMHacker; 08-24-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,094,932 times
Quote:
... have enemy efficient homes. ...
I know you didn't mean to write that, but .... < Snort! >

Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I know you didn't mean to write that, but .... < Snort! >

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 AM

62 posts, read 252,157 times
Default On Topic?

I think this debate is getting a bit off of the topic that this thread was created for. I can see the idea behind both sides of this argument but I do think the size of one's residence is insignificant. If one wants to live in a 2500 sq ft home or a 400 sq ft home I think this is a personal choice. If we are able to live in our home with a small pollution footprint I think we are closer to our goal here.

The topic of this thread is living off the grid not on it or grid-tie. I think for most Americans living totally off the grid will never happen. It can happen but I think it highly unlikely that it will happen. The originator was interested in off-grid self sufficiency. I think the more we can reduce our carbon footprint and still enjoy a reasonable level of creature comforts we are accomplishing a great deal.

Just my opinion. I personally live in a 600 sq ft cabin on 60 acres. There are no utilities even close but between wind and solar powering my battery bank, electric is no problem. I heat with wood and methane that I make in my own tank. My methane is dried as best I can before it is burned so it is a cleaner fuel. I use the methane for cooking and heating house water in the winter. I cook and heat with wood in the winter. My lighting is all LED and I really don't use a lot of electricity in the first place, at least in the summer.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
As usual you have no clue. My McMansion was built in the late 1800's and is 5 blocks from old town. Built out of Adobe. Completely remodeled to met current codes 4 years ago running solar. I am on the grid, but I do like my technology.

I don't need an escalade. Already have and Infiniti. I do also have a gas guzzling truck and ride a bike to work 3-4 days a week.

I do like my subdivision. Some homes are much older than mine. Makes it unique and quaint.

If you think that was a personal attack, then you definitely need to live like a hermit because you have very thin skin.
The vast majority of McMansions are newly built, NOT renovated adobes. How many people live in your "renovated adobe" now as opposed to when it was built?

OD

Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8qf View Post
I think this debate is getting a bit off of the topic that this thread was created for. I can see the idea behind both sides of this argument but I do think the size of one's residence is insignificant. If one wants to live in a 2500 sq ft home or a 400 sq ft home I think this is a personal choice.
Presumably most self-sufficiency folks are off the grid because they want to a) not depend on utilities and be part of the "system" and b) want to be closer to Nature since they care for it and its diminishing resources.

Moderator cut: Please, Stay On Topic

OD

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-25-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 06:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
I think this debate is getting a bit off of the topic that this thread was created for. I can see the idea behind both sides of this argument but I do think the size of one's residence is insignificant.
Quote:
I personally live in a 600 sq ft cabin on 60 acres. There are no utilities even close but between wind and solar powering my battery bank, electric is no problem. I heat with wood and methane that I make in my own tank. My methane is dried as best I can before it is burned so it is a cleaner fuel. I use the methane for cooking and heating house water in the winter. I cook and heat with wood in the winter. My lighting is all LED and I really don't use a lot of electricity in the first place, at least in the summer.
I agree. The discussion has gotten off topic.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
The vast majority of McMansions are newly built, NOT renovated adobes. How many people live in your "renovated adobe" now as opposed to when it was built?

OD
I know what a McMansion is. You're the one that assumed I live in one. I believe there were 3 in the original owners family. Same as I have now. He was a doctor and ran his practice out of here. We run our company out of here also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico