Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times

Advertisements

Just build a hogan. You will have to more than likely address the sewage you generate though - probably by inspection & permitting.

Then you can spend your free time chopping and hauling firewood & water.

http://www.historyrhymes.info/wp-con...vajo-hogan.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM

65 posts, read 156,279 times
We'll pass on the Hogans, we really like the rammed earth designs. No reason off-grid has to be primitive or uncomfortable.

We will going solar/diesel back up. Dry composting or incineration for toilet and recycle wash water for irrigation.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default alternative housing

There is a company building house shells out of naturally insulating volcanic pumice. They claim the quiet of Adobe and the longevity of concrete.

There are Cogeneration units available that provide hot water and electricity from an old tech low speed diesel (Listeroid) fueled by petroleum oil or natural or treated fresh or used vegetable oil. Six kilowatts of electricity plus 20 Kw of heat should operated modern conveniences (except electric stoves) and heat a moderately sized and insulated building.

I would start by contacting the local or state building inspector’s office for the rules and restrictions. There are alternatives to water flushed toilets available for difficult sites. Water can be supplied in many, but not all, places by a drilled well, rain collector or hauled in by truck.

I suggest trying to find an existing off the grid (earthship?) for rent and trying an extended stay to determine if the actual lifestyle is anywhere near your dreams before you sink a fortune into determining it the hard way.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
I have toyed with the off the grid idea for many years,. I love the idea of living simply and cheaply and getting away from all the consumeristic rat race that seems to infect many people's way of thinking. I really like the idea of having some small camper out on an acre or two in some remote area, have no problem going solar, trucking my water, and all that. Plenty of free wi-fi spots nowadays too. But I do wonder about the security of the whole thing, both when I am at home, and when I leave to go to the far away town for some reason..Would there be anything left when I got back??!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Is New Mexico the only place where there exist an off the grid community?

That's what I love about New Mexico. There is an unusual array of free thinkers, independent and spiritual people.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I like that fact. If I get a job offer I'm on my way to Alamogordo with my wife, Chow Chow, Pomeranian and 2 rescue cats from the Willcox, AZ, pound. I like that spiritual part of New Mexico life, and I like the trees and desert mixture. Free thinking is a good thing, as is a good deal on a high-speed internet and Dish/DirecTV combo. I would like to get Sunday Ticket but it's not a have-to thing. I just need a good, solid high-speed internet connection, a fenced back yard and a cable or dish TV hookup and I'll be as happy as I used to be when Gary Payton would feed Shawn Kemp with a nice, floating high ball waiting up above the rim for Shawn to slam happily home. Ahh.

Come on back, Sonics. The dorky Mariner management is not strong enough to stop Chris Hansen and his group from building the stadium and getting us a NBA team back in Seattle.

I have found an affordable house with a clean interior, fenced back yard and good A/C for the stuffy humid southwest summers already. Found it last night!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Is New Mexico the only place where there exist an off the grid community?
This is just one web site: Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
That's what I love about New Mexico. There is an unusual array of free thinkers, independent and spiritual people.
I have been to a few sites, in a few states and in an other country. It is not always "free thinkers, independent and spiritual people."

Rich

Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
This is just one web site: Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

I have been to a few sites, in a few states and in an other country. It is not always "free thinkers, independent and spiritual people."

Rich
I think you are right about that. It may be more stereotype than anything else. However, what I do like about the 'off the grid' type of individual, is that they are not afraid to live life, the way they want to live it. I guess in my opinion, they seem more real to me.

Due to bills, family, and other living constraints it takes a special person to just get up and live a more independent type of life.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
I know several peeps who live off solar and haul water.

All of them would gladly connect to the power grid if it wasn't going to cost them tens-of-thousands of $'s to extend the power line into their properties for the privilege.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 AM

62 posts, read 251,713 times
santafe400, there are many off-grid communities around the country. The one depicted in this documentary actually happened my accident as far as being filmed. It was not at all pre-planed, they actually had plans to film something quite different. There is even a similar community in beautiful Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico