Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 86,417 times

Advertisements

Hi. What is the availability of organic food in Clovis? I believe there is a farmer's market, does anyone sell organic produce there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:05 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrskarpe View Post
Hi. What is the availability of organic food in Clovis? I believe there is a farmer's market, does anyone sell organic produce there? Thanks.
Organic Food in Clovis-beans-choose.jpg Organic Food in Clovis-i-dug-them-up-morning.jpg
I haven't had much luck finding a good organic food source here. There are sections in the grocery stores with organic produce, but they aren't very extensive. I LOVE the farmer's market and buy all my produce there when it is open (starting in July, I believe). Everything is wonderfully fresh, but I don't know if any of it is organic. The farmers there love to chat and I'm sure they would be glad to tell you the best sources.

~clairz

Old 05-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks Clairz, I appreciate the information. It sounds similar to where we are now, our Wal Mart has some organic produce and products. Changing the subject, are there any nice lakes within 1-2 hours drive?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:10 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrskarpe View Post
Thanks Clairz, I appreciate the information. It sounds similar to where we are now, our Wal Mart has some organic produce and products. Changing the subject, are there any nice lakes within 1-2 hours drive?
I put the answer on a new thread--nice lakes near where you live.

~clairz

Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Thanks Clairz!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:13 PM

153 posts, read 541,222 times
The Portales Farmer's Market sells organic veggies from about August through November, just off the town square. The Sunland peanut plant north of Portales sells Arrowhead Mills brand cereals and organic peanut butter at cheap prices (they make Trader Joe's Organic Peanut Butter at this plant). There is a really overpriced vitamin store in Clovis that sells $7 boxes of organic cereal. Same type of store in Amarillo - we were shocked at the dusty box with the high price. We heard there was a good health food store in Lubbock but have not found it yet. Also heard that there is an organic veggie farm between Clovis and Portales. Anyone seen that one yet?

Best option so far has been Trader Joe's in Albuquerque or Santa Fe - we bring a cooler and stock up.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Asking for organic food in Clovis aside from the open markets is akin to asking for ice cubes in hell. Seeing what people generally eat there, it's beef country, so Mother Earth News barely makes a blip on the screen. Grow your own I say. If you water it it'll grow, practically year round if you do it right.

Look at this,
Year'Round Vegetables Underground by Julia Griffin

Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in New Mexico for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees.

I've tasted the reddest sweetest tomato in Portales from someones backyard. With the prices today, better green up your thumbs!

Last edited by newmex; 06-27-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 05:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Thumbs up Farmers Market Now Open In Clovis

Pulled from todays Paper online:

News: Farmers market starts in Clovis | clovis, jon, selling : Portales News-Tribune

Get There!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

153 posts, read 541,222 times
Portales Farmer's market is up and running as of July! The Farmer's Market is held from 5PM - ? on Mondays and Thursdays, just south of the historic town square in downtown Portales. As of July they are offering lots of organic garlic, squash, onions, zucchini, and cale so far. Can't wait to see what shows up closer to Autumn.

Yes, its beef country here, but there are several custom processors who sell grass-fed beef. And if you do like beef, cattle baron on Avenue C in Portales has some of the best steaks in the West!

More Organic Trivia: Sunland Peanuts in Portales is the largest Certified Organic peanut butter producer in the USA, and organic milk production is getting huge in Roosevelt County. We pay about 50 cents less at Russel's in Portales for a half gallon of Organuic Milk than we did in the big city.

When you go to the Farmer's Market on Monday or Thursday, also check out the Sunland Peanuts retail store on US 70 north of town. Good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico