Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,930,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Thanks for all the info. FWIW, Bekins got bad reports from MovingScam.com.

I will look into United Van Lines, thanks. We do have to store our stuff for a couple of months, but I'm not into packing pods or self-packing - we just have too much stuff as we work from home.

We'll pack everything into boxes, but then we're looking for more of a full-service. Good info on the shuttle extra charge.

Does anyone know what happens when you fill up a large truck, then store it. Do they store the truck? Or do they offload the goods so they can use the truck?
They typically offload the goods....and charge extra for the service....offload, store, reload, deliver.

I had very good luck with United Van Lines also. They gave me a firm quote in writing, but since I did most of the packing myself (they packed only 18 boxes for me), the final cost was less than what they had quoted. They do tend to estimate high most of the time, but that's far better than not!!

I moved from West Texas to NM.....about 300 miles, but it was still pretty expensive.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 05-30-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,049,292 times
We got two estimates and they were almost identical. We were really impressed with the customer service United was demonstrating, so we went with them and were not sorry. It was expensive but I bet they all are about the same, unless you are doing all the packing. (We packed maybe a third of our boxes ourselves.)

Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 PM

33 posts, read 158,934 times
We moved from Northern Calif. to Las Cruces NM using Van lines and we had then pack everything, and i mean everything. total cost was about 13k which included a bunch of farm equipment, 4 bedroom house, and a car. well worth the money even though it wasn't mine, it was my Co. money

Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM

146 posts, read 441,356 times
I got my estimate from ABF today - and boy, Was I impressed! It was about 1/2 of what the estimates were to move from Vermont to Iowa.... We think we're going with them.... I should know in a couple of weeks what the verdict is on Alamo - and I'm expecting it to be good!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 AM

140 posts, read 476,379 times
Thumbs up ABF was very good..

We didnt want to pack much either, you can hire a packing Co. or hire day labor to pack for you, We used ABF and was very satisfied, if you pack some yourself watch out for the ramps supplied, they are heavy! My Poor Wife and i dropped the ramp on her foot twice, i know i am admitting something stupid sounding, just always have strong people lift or move the ramps, its a miracle my Wife's foot was not broken, i still feel so bad about it. For us we will use ABF again, just use different methods for packing and ramp menuvering ,(spell check didnt work sorry). Congrats on the Move you will love it! We moved from SOCA to No AR, taking the long way to NM ~

Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,409,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
Have you looked into PODS? Portable On Demand Storage? They drop them off at your place, leave 'em until you say come get them and then they will store them for you. Husband priced them out and it was cheaper then us renting a truck (more like 2) & doing it ourselves (from Seattle to Abq). You do have to pack the boxes and pack them into the PODS though.

If anyone has had a bad experience with this let us know too as this is what we are leaning toward since we'll have to store stuff for a few months.
I used the pods from ABF to move from Olympia to NM in January and it went great. My son said it was the easiest move he's done for me. No ramps to carry things up, no truck to drive (and break down.) I put them in storage in ABQ until I found a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico