Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,454,460 times

Advertisements

I'm munching on their tuna roll as we speak. Spoke with the owner and they started serving sake today, tomorrow are adding beer and will be looking at wines next.
Also, a place called "Ahh, Sushi" is opening very close to them ( where Top Dog was ) but it does not sound like they will have the same quality food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 AM

238 posts, read 635,507 times
Exclamation So, I ate at Sakura...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
For the last couple months we've been watching a storefront being renovated
into a sushi restaurant in the Riverside Mall (Coors and Montano Crossing) next
to Helen and Nates as well as the Starbucks. By dumb luck we saw that it was
open and decided to give it a try. Turns out we were their second customers..

The name is Sakura and being so new, it's hard to really rate it, but the
decor is nice, the service good, the food is quite good and (for sushi)
reasonably priced. Definitely worth trying.

Mike, just a quick update reply to say that I tried Sakura last night and it was great. The sushi was fresh, creative, and priced decently. All the waiters and sushi chefs were pleasant and the atmosphere was nice. The really funny thing about the place is there is another sushi joint that just opened up about 3 doors down! Talk about competition.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,754,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Mike, just a quick update reply to say that I tried Sakura last night and it was great. The sushi was fresh, creative, and priced decently. All the waiters and sushi chefs were pleasant and the atmosphere was nice. The really funny thing about the place is there is another sushi joint that just opened up about 3 doors down! Talk about competition..
I tried Noda last night. Had the white tuna, yellow tail and California rolls with
green tea. Frankly, despite the recommendations it's been given, I didn't
think it was up to par and don't see any reason to return.

At this point, Sakura is my favorite by far.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM

238 posts, read 635,507 times
Thumbs up Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I tried Noda last night. Had the white tuna, yellow tail and California rolls with
green tea. Frankly, despite the recommendations it's been given, I didn't
think it was up to par and don't see any reason to return.

At this point, Sakura is my favorite by far.

Funny you should mention Noda's... there was a party of 4 that was being pretty rambunctious just down from me. I overheard them talking about Noda's, while were were eating at Sakura.

I am sorry to read that you did not like Noda's. I have not eaten there in about a year or so. Things may have changed. But I do concur with you about Sakura. Why drive 10 miles to Rio Rancho to eat at Noda's when you can walk to eat great sushi at Sakura? Oh, I also ate at Ginga tonight. Great food and drink, great ambiance, and great view of the city. But it its totally overpriced. I just may go to Sakura for sushi and Jinja for happy hour special drinks.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-09-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Oh, I also ate at Ginga tonight. Great food and drink, great ambiance, and great view of the city. But it its totally overpriced. I just may go to Sakura for sushi and Jinja for happy hour special drinks..
Jinja does have a variation on the classic orange chicken that is excellent. Otherwise, it's all nice atmosphere for those desiring "trendy".

Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
I was in Albuquerque, NM last weekend and I tried the new restaurant, Ahh Sushi.. OMG!! The sushi was fabulous. I had the Burrito (Sushi), crunchy roll, and california roll. I was very impressed. I will be back in October to enjoy my birthday there....

Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 AM

281 posts, read 629,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
Noda's in Rio Rancho is truly the best here in Albuquerque as far as food goes. The family is from Japan and the service is awesome.
The sushi has been outstanding every time I've been there, I'm even willing to take CA/WA guests there without risk of embarrassment. Make sure you get green chile in something...

The service, on the other hand, has been pretty bad about 80% of the time I've been there, and at least half the time they seat me and my daughter next to a VERY loud table that's drinking too much and discussing adult things at completely inappropriate volumes. That last part not so much the restaurant's fault...

I don't let the service keep me from going, the sushi's worth it, I just factor that into my plans and make sure I'm up for it before I go.

-Z

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,454,460 times
Because I like sashimi too, I tend to be really really picky about where I am willing to eat that. It's important that the fish be of high quality, and that it is prepared as well as refrigerated correctly. I will only eat sashimi at Sakura ( the one in Riverside Plaza ) and love love love their sushi as well.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 AM

When I first moved here, all I heard was Noda's, Noda's, Noda's so I went there
once about 12-14 months ago. I was very disappointed. NOTHING seemed fresh.

Sashimi (the raw sea food) should never smell "fishy", that's a sign of aging,
and the plate they served me smelled like a walk along the beach at low tide.

No more.. there are too many better places...

Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,100,132 times
I really like Sushi King downtown. My dad LOVES their sashimi. They won't eat ant any other sushi place when they're in ABQ. I just like about anything, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico