Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc
Would anyone know about the water quality the the southeastern region of NM, specifically Carlsbad? I had read the water quality in Roswell was not great, wondering if the same applies in the rest of the southeast NM region.
Water throughout New Mexico is pretty poor. But West Texas is worse. The worst water I ever tasted was in Odessa, Texas. I literally could not swallow it. It tasted like a really, really, really, really old nickel that had spent the past 10 years in a hobo's pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 02:16 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,878 times
Default Funny

Mark S., the nickel in the hobo's pants is so funny you have me down on the floor laughing! But the funniest thing about it is it REALLY does taste like a nickel that has been in a hobo's pants for the last ten years!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:51 PM

71 posts, read 319,530 times
Thanks for the advice....i'm thinking....invest in a water filter and use bottled water. maybe that will take care of the metallic taste of the nickel!!! I was thinking carlsbad had a few springs or wells for water but maybe thats what gives the water that nickel taste. We'll see. But if you want bad water go to NYC - you'll be crying for the hobo. They must be in competition with TX.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,878 times
Spindoc, my aunt in Denver City has a PUR water filter plus she had a filter put in the water line that she changes every three months and then whenever the PUR filter needs changing and it got rid of that West Texas water taste. Mark S. is right about Odessa being the worst and a close second is Lubbock and I think third place goes to Roswell. Carlsbad may not be that bad, I wish a local from there would let us all know. Someone living in Carlsbad, please answer us, how is the water taste and the water in general in Carlsbad?

Old 06-14-2006, 11:43 AM

Yes anyone from Carlsbad. Are you there? Let us know how your wonderful city is. It would be much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
Smile Carlsbad

I'm thinking of relocating to Carlsbad - besides from the Caverns and Pecos River, it sounds bleak. Alot of retired people, not alot of entertainment and no shopping. Is this true?? What are the positive things in Carlsbad?

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
City Data's report is here: //www.city-data.com/city/Carlsbad-New-Mexico.html

Pros:

Carlsbad Caverns. It really is one of the wonders of the world. Even if you decide not to live in the area, you really owe it to yourself to see this at least once in your lifetime.

Sitting Bull Falls. About an hour away. Very neat place. I'm shocked that no one has ever filmed a movie here. Watch out for rattlesnakes though.

Low cost of living. Check out housing prices. Very cheap to live here.

Not much snow. Hardly any, in fact. That's actually a con for me, but I know some people dislike snow. It's very dry and hot in Carlsbad.

Cons:

Like the rest of NM, poverty is an issue here. Crime tends to go with that. It isn't East L.A. by any means, but neither is it an idyllic 1950s small town.

HOT. And I mean hot. When the devil REALLY wants to torture souls, he sends them to Carlsbad in July.

Not a whole lot to do there. Teens especially can get bored, and bored teens tend to get themselves into trouble.

Pests. Bugs, flies, scorpions, cockroaches, centipedes. And don't forget the rattlesnakes. If you have livestock or small outdoor pets, coyotes can be an issue too.

I don't know that the quality of education is all that great, but that's true of most NM public schools.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:27 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
I have been to Carlsbad Caverns. It is the most beautiful place I have seen. I have not seen the town, just photos of it, and due to the river there it is green, at least in town. I look at the map of that area and think: If I want to go somewhere and see something I would have to drive to Roswell. Hmmm. It is too far away from everything else. Talk about being stuck out in the desert. We were driving through NM at the time, and there was nothing out there.

Maybe someone else can tell you the positive things, but the caverns are the only positive things about it that I know of. Why do you want to go there?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Carlsbad - besides from the Caverns and Pecos River, it sounds bleak. Alot of retired people, not alot of entertainment and no shopping. Is this true?? What are the positive things in Carlsbad?

Thanks for any input.
Carlsbad is an interesting city. It has great topography with hills on one side and a river on the other. Getting a house on the river is not cheap though but well worth the price. You would never guess that you were in the middle of the desert living on the river. The people of the city seem relatively nice and crime is relatively low compared to some of the other NM cities. Now that is about it that is good about the city.

You are right when it comes to lack of shopping, restaurants or anything else to do in the city. By lack of shopping, I really mean no shopping. By lack of restaurants I mean there is probably 2-3 restaurants that are not fast food chains in the city and they are pretty good. It seems that a few people own most of the land and businesses in the city, including the mayor who owns a hotel and they have prevented the city from growing for fear of competition and losing control The politicians have also allowed the city to become pretty much run down and have not invested any real funds into maintaing the city. There is so much potential but when you compare Carlsbad to some of the surrounding, less attractive cities, those cities are booming with shopping and restaurants, better maintained roads and public facilities. Carlsbad politicians, on the other hand, have really prevented the city from growing and play political tactics when companies try to come to town to open up new businesses.

The community is advertised as a retirement community with 2 golf courses but really nothing else for a retiree. I am not sure how people have a vision to try to attract retired people without first establishing a proper infrastructure. A non-functioning airport, run-down roads and public facilities, no shopping and restaurants and 2 hours to any major city - I am not sure who that is suppose to attract.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,525 times
And don't forget the sign that says, NEXT GAS STATION 86 MILES LOL!

I like Carlsbad Caverns, but we always made a point of not staying in Carlsbad after we visited. We always drove back to Clovis or off to Ruidoso after. There is nothing down there. Too bad they won't let the city grow - I am sure a few companies would love to move in there to benfit from the tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico