Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,867,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There is a very simple solution to this problem: Require anyone that applies for welfare or aid for dependent children to undergo non-reversible sterilization as a condition of receiving assistance. Wannbe welfare mothers might have one child, but that would be the last one. Now, I'm sure someone will point out that sterilization deprives the person of some "basic" freedom. Well, no one is holding a gun to their head and requiring them to do it--it would be the choice of the individual to undergo sterilization as a condition of receiving taxpayer assistance. To those who would say this would lead to only those being affluent enough to afford raising children actually having them, I say, What a concept!" Imagine having people who are bearing children actually being financially responsible for providing for their care and upbringing. And, yes, I would make the requirement "equal opportunity" for both the irresponsible father and the irresponsible mother. I'd bet out of wedlock births, single parenthood, and child neglect would all plummet--not to mention shrink the welfare rolls.
This post is worthy of 100 reputation points.

I have championed a mandatory sterlization program for years. If the broodmare is willing to go to the state to receive assistance, then there should be guidelines enacted by governmental agency to prevent fraud waste and abuse. Sterlization would only be the first step. I would also make mandatory provisions for remitting receipts back to the funding agency to ensure there are no superflous purchases made i.e. junk food such as potato chips, cookies, etc, luxuries such as cell phones, Ipods. If you are willing to go to the well for assistance, then IMO you are also surrendering your purchasing ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM

101 posts, read 298,393 times
There is a limit as to how long a person can receive welfare benefits and I believe it is a federally mandated limit. I know for sure that here in Washington state you get benefits for five years, period. And it's five years total, no matter how many times you have been on or off. This does not include benefits for those who are disabled nor to food stamp benefits. I believe there is also a five year limit for subsidized housing or at least it was being proposed. I haven't lived in New Mexico yet although I am planning to, so I can only speak to what I know from Seattle.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,929,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I would also make mandatory provisions for remitting receipts back to the funding agency to ensure there are no superflous purchases made i.e. junk food such as potato chips, cookies, etc, luxuries such as cell phones, Ipods.
Unfortunately, this would be a paperwork nightmare and would end up being just about impossible. However, from the states I know of, food stamps and the stereotypical "welfare check" are kept separate, often people receiving both. The food stamps, which is now a credit card, has restrictions on it. You could make this extremely restrictive (i.e. currently alcohol and tobacco are no-nos, and maybe candy too, I can't remember. You could ban soda and chips I imagine). Most states also have programs for paying the rent, as well, although in Michigan (at least) you have to rent from an approved landlord. Maybe states should go into more specialized programing like the rent and food programs, including gas cards for certain individuals as well (or public transit tokens), limiting the time on welfare for a certain time, like another poster stated. Maybe if you severly limit the "welfare check", you could include a slight "bonus" for Christmas time. The problem is balancing budget concerns with the fact that we are playing with children's lives here. They didn't ask to live like this.

MN and MI have rules where you have to be looking for work on a weekly basis in order to receive benefits. Its a positive start, however people can get around it, plus it rules out parents who want to go to school/get specialized training so that they aren't always on the verge of financial diaster. However, MI must have a grace period. We were on food stamps for a few months before I was able to find work (husband was in school). I was actively looking for work, but I don't remember having to report it, yet I do remember people at the MichiganWorks! center having to fill out something to report that they were looking.

I understand that there are people that stay on welfare, but I have never, ever met any of them. I have known a lot of people, including my family, that state assistance helped stay afloat when things were looking dim. It has helped keep my kids healthy when we couldn't get jobs with insurance. We didn't apply for food stamps until months of searching for a job and going through our entire savings and eating beans and rice for way too long. During this time, I didn't own a cell phone, a new car, and only our son got a Christmas present that year. So how many people abuse the system? How many actually need it and end up leading productive lives because of it?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,050,406 times
its one thing when a family really needs it but another when someone is getting the money and spending it on luxuries.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
There is a limit as to how long a person can receive welfare benefits and I believe it is a federally mandated limit. I know for sure that here in Washington state you get benefits for five years, period. And it's five years total, no matter how many times you have been on or off. This does not include benefits for those who are disabled nor to food stamp benefits. I believe there is also a five year limit for subsidized housing or at least it was being proposed. I haven't lived in New Mexico yet although I am planning to, so I can only speak to what I know from Seattle.
That limit is on the cash assistance only. The TANF check -- money given a woman in addition to free housing, food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, and all the rest. TANF is the only welfare program that has any kind of limit.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM

70 posts, read 214,400 times
My husband is a high school teacher and this is the abuse of our money as he sees it. If children can be labeled special ed, their parents get extra money. His school has a very large number who are. These children also have special ed babies. Some parents are not as bright as their children and give medications incorrectly. One child slept the whole weekend because of this. I also know that welfare mothers are in school to get a check. They do not pass and have to take the class again so they don't have to get a job. The problem with removing these children is that those wanted for adoption are usually white. Bacich

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 94,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacich View Post
My husband is a high school teacher and this is the abuse of our money as he sees it. If children can be labeled special ed, their parents get extra money. His school has a very large number who are. These children also have special ed babies. Some parents are not as bright as their children and give medications incorrectly. One child slept the whole weekend because of this. I also know that welfare mothers are in school to get a check. They do not pass and have to take the class again so they don't have to get a job. The problem with removing these children is that those wanted for adoption are usually white. Bacich
yep. I see this a lot. I mean they hand these medications out like candy, it seems like all these children have ADHD, my nephew has been put on this medication and does not need it, along with ALL his brothers and sisters. They are either sleeping all the time or having terrible mood swings. Their mom gets a lot of extra money since her children are considered special needs. It's really pitiful and its a shame that people would rather do that to their kids than get out and work for a living. I'm all for protecting children from starving to death but welfare has gotten out of hand.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM

717 posts, read 1,957,717 times
Jazzlover and Mike I could not agree more with your sentiments. Considering current trends, however, these concepts will never gain traction.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,773,443 times
Default The Significant Other

How about a little ditty about these useless, unsupervised dumb bucks who knock these girls up?

Make these guys pick up trash along the road for a wage to support these kids. If they abscond, jail em'...then send them back out again in chains to pick up along the roads (Cool Hand Luke was a great flick). Humiliation works, and at the end of the day, these boys will be too tired to fight and will regret doing anything wrong. If they see the light, give them a trade education, and graft their checks for the childs' benefit.

As trashed as the state is in, a recycling program could implemented with these jobs, giving an enhanced sense of pride of a visually appealing state.

Last edited by newmex; 07-05-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 PM

430 posts, read 1,396,307 times
Most "free" government housing is section 8 which tenant's still have to pay at least one third of their income for. Actual Public housing is now of very limited availability, and section 8 also has a long waiting list which is closed most of the time.

TANF payments are also very low, -and yes there is a lifetime 5 year limit +work/training requirement's under FEDERAL law, -though still with some significant flexibility for the states.

Anyone remember welfare reform? -That was back in 1996. Yes, there are those who abuse the system in many ways, but the above are pretty strictly enforced for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico