Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
I am buying a house in Santa Fe and though I'm not gay it clearly states in the rules that sellers and agents are not allowed to treat people differently due to gender/race/sexual preference or anything else of the like. Basically if you feel like you are being discriminated against they are going against code and you should put in a complaint with their company and find a new agent.
Discrimination is illegal, but an agent can choose with whom he/she wants to work, just as a customer/client can choose an agent. Not wanting to work with someone (for whatever reason) is not discrimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Is Ruidoso a particularly gay friendly town?
Ruidoso is traditionally a mountain resort town for West Texas cowboys... so no... it is certainly not particularly gay friendly. I haven't heard or seen anything about a gay community here.

If you think you'd like small towns, Silver City comes to mind... but it is hard for me to imagine you'd be happy in a small town after living in NYC.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
rruff said:

> Ruidoso ... is certainly not particularly gay friendly.
> I haven't heard or seen anything about a gay community here.

It sounds like "gay friendly" = "gay ghetto" (like Castro in San Francisco).

I can't imagine any small town being big enough to have one.

Albuquerque is not big enough to have one.

My interpretation if "<anything> friendly" is that you can go out to eat, walk the streets, shop, etc. and not be hassled by others who "know what you are."

By my defintion, I can imagine some small towns are not "gay friendly" or "white friendly" or whatever.

Of course, you could be *in* Castro area and still be hassled by an 'outsider' coming in to make trouble.

P.S. I still don't know what a "gay friendly" realtor is. I'm guessing that Windstar got all they wanted out of the forum and has now gone house shopping (somewhere).

Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
My interpretation if "<anything> friendly" is that you can go out to eat, walk the streets, shop, etc. and not be hassled by others who "know what you are."
That would be my definition of "tolerant". "Friendly" (especially particularly), would mean that there is an active community that is more than tolerant... ie a place where it would be easy to feel at home.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM

47 posts, read 130,758 times
Default ...and the survey sez

Quote:

P.S. I still don't know what a "gay friendly" realtor is. I'm guessing that Windstar got all they wanted out of the forum and has now gone house shopping (somewhere).
Not to drift too far from the primary topic 'Ruidoso Gay Friendly Realtors'.

I thought this posting was a little odd because there are numerous websites and print publications specifically for this self-identified segment of the population. These sites provide more information about who, what, and where are 'gay friendly' than this one can.

Other forum boards I read have been getting similar questions about 'gay friendly' this and that.

So I did a little research, this is what I found out. Responses to these posted questions are used in public opinion 'surveys.' Actually, the 'survey' results are used by those business interests paying for them. Basically, the 'survey' can say anything the sponsors want, by picking and choosing among the answers we have provided.

Just some junk pollsters trying to earn a living.

Mortimer, I think you are correct that Windstar got all they wanted from this forum........

Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
rruff explained:

> > My interpretation ... not be hassled by others who "know what you are."

> That would be my definition of "tolerant".
> "Friendly" ... an active community that is more than tolerant. ...
> ie a place where it would be easy to feel at home.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this sounds like having a straight neighbor that you visit and hang out with is a "tolerant" neighbor, but not a "friendly" one.

It sounds like only a gay ghetto will do. That's fine, but looking in Ruidoso for one is likely to come up an empty search.

I bet in all of Albuquerque there aren't three homes or apartments in a row with gay residents. I'll also bet that there are plenty of gay residents in Albuquerque who are perfectly happy with their "tolerant" neighborhood and even consider it "friendly."

I've lived in lots of places and some of my best neighbors have been gay. I will say that one of my worst neighbors were also, but not because of that, of course.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,913 times
I like the responses,,,,that's how it should be. No one gives a rats @@@ what your orientation is. Unfortunately there are a few professionals that do even if it is illegal. My guess is that John is from a small town (like myself) where discrimination can be very open, hateful and hurtful.
John...do a search on Gay Retirement Communities. I did find a lot of good info which included "gay friendly" realtors.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 48,360 times
Quote:
Windstar, leaving us guessing:

> Thanks, we found two....

Two what? Acceptable realtors? Nasty, turdly realtors?

I'd still like to know what you mean by "gay friendly" just to understand what it means in this application.

Gay friendly neighborhoods, I'm clear on.

I didn't think my question would stir such discussion. I apologize for any confusion. Since there have been so many questions (and opinions), I thought I would respond. I have lived and worked in Europe, Canada and many major US cities, and used realtors in most of those places. If you're in New York, LA, Seattle, Ottawa, Rome or London, you don't have to ask that question in finding a recommendation for a good realtor. Sure there are homophobic people in those places as anywhere, but it's the money that talks and most professional people do their job and don't care...or if they care, they don't let their prejudices get in the way of doing their jobs. BUT, in small town America, it can be a lot different. Trust me. I've purchased property in small towns from Texas to Montana. It's just helpful to find someone who has either worked with same sex households or doesn't let that become a factor in the transaction. Sometimes it shortens the process to hear from someone who has worked with or knows a good realtor. That's it in a nutshell. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal. Be Blessed!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:53 AM

22 posts, read 80,671 times
I would like to add I am a people friendly realtor that works in Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. I do choose the clients I work with based on if we get along. I could careless if you are gay, white, black etc but I can not stand rude and ignorant people. My job is to help you find a home that meets the needs of you and your family. I treat all my customers as I would like to be treated. After all at the end of the day we are all people and if what we decide makes us happy and does not hurt any one in the process that is all that matters.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

658 posts, read 1,337,348 times
Just a note I am gay and friendly and a Realtor...although practicing in San Diego for 14 years and eventually will be in Albuquerque in a few months. Its amazing that even in a more liberal city like SD, there are people who would want nothing to do with a gay realtor, and vice versa there are some gay realtors who want nothing to do with anyone looking to buy outside of the more gay populated areas. Ah, thats part of the Southern California charm....superficial at its most obvious, hateful under the thin layer of surgical enhancement, diversification thats way over the top1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico