Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,520 times

Advertisements

Karen -

Another place you might research is Galisteo.

We went through there today and it is a thriving little community but I have no idea what land or home prices might be there.

It is about 20-25 miles south of Santa Fe on a good road all the way into town.

Very quiet. Very picturesque. Probably some winter weather, but mild by Maine standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM

775 posts, read 2,591,924 times
Default Cedar Crest and Edgewood

If you want a Country way of life soon Edgewood and Cedar Crest are not gonna be like the rest of the East Mountain area. My Suggestion rent to own in the Smaller Towns and get away from the Wild Animals and Forest Fires that will be with us for a long time. If you like Trees Landscape your yard with Trees. ALSO very important.... We are taking over the Wild Animals Habitats and Food and we are soon to become their Food While OUT HIKING or living in the Mountains. I KNOW i almost became Bear Food out there in the Mountains about 2 miles north of Corona while Hiking a couple of years ago. TIP... Dont eat a Cheeseburger and Fries and then go hiking it Attracts Wild Animals like a 300 lb Reddish Brown Bear not only to you but to your Vehicle. Tip if you have a Backpack drop it walk away Slowly to your vehicle if you have a shirt leave it it might buy you some time to get away. Dont Walk Backwards you might Trip. Dont Smell like a Human Cheeseburger when you take a hike it might be too tempting for a Starving Wild Animal like a Bear or a Mountain Lion or Cougar or Bobcat. Times are Different now The Wild Animals are coming to Town. el pintada kid

Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
Yeah! And wherever you live - DON'T FEED WILD ANIMALS! Checkout the thread about the possible Mountain Lion attack on this forum. Here in NH bears are a problem. They consider bird feeders to be a snack bar and the mommy bears teach the cubs how to scrounge. White Tail deer are becoming a nuisance as they learn that nobody will hunt them in suburbia and a garden is a gourmet lunch.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:30 PM

54 posts, read 217,913 times
Default It's not only the 4 legged

Having been in NM and Silver City for 10 yrs I think I have a handle on life in this part of the state. Can't speak for any other.
Towanda (in this or another thread) mentioned Mimbres which is a very beautiful valley along the Mimbres River about 30 miles from SC.
I have a friend who lives there and has been telling me for years about a guy who shoots dogs for no reason. Well he killed again a couple of weeks ago and now the authorities are getting involved. Finally. It is the west so you must understand that rancher's rule! Their animals can destroy your entire property and that will be your fault for not fencing them out. Ranchers have no obligation to keep them in and can shoot your pet if it molests their property in any way. Sadly this brute just got his jollies killing dogs, they've never been accused of causing trouble and he has no herd.
This is not just in Mimbres either. My guy worked at a local vets for several years and there were more than a few instances of dogs being shot for simply walking onto someone's property. People have been know to set out bowls of anti-freeze for feral cats too. Being an animal lover this kids of shi* makes me sick.
This harsh way of the west is still alive and well. Things are not perfect here. People passing through or who haven't lived here very long haven't been exposed to this side of things. Don't want to offend or rain on anyone's parade but you should know what you're getting into when you move to the rural west.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,298,233 times
We lived in Silver City for 2 years. It is a nice enough town, a bit small but Las Cruces is only 100 miles away or you can go west and Tucson is about the same. They actually have a pretty decent hospital and doctors to be such a small town. We have 4 boys so had to visit the ER a couple of times and the wait that you normally incur in an ER was not there. As others have said Miembres Valley is beautiful and if I had to retire in NM that would be where I would go. It is very green there. Silver City had snow the winter we were there but nothing like Maine. Crazily enough my husband interviewed for a job in Houlton and I have to say I am glad that he didn't get it. He still hasn't given up on the idea of transferring to MA. Howeverk, I digress, you should come out and see Silver City, in the summer and then in January to get an idea of what the weather is like. There is tons of wildlife and the people are okay. It is a very art oriented town and has a college there. Not much in the way of shopping if you can get by with WalMart you should be okay.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,379,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
Having been in NM and Silver City for 10 yrs I think I have a handle on life in this part of the state. Can't speak for any other.
Towanda (in this or another thread) mentioned Mimbres which is a very beautiful valley along the Mimbres River about 30 miles from SC.
I have a friend who lives there and has been telling me for years about a guy who shoots dogs for no reason. Well he killed again a couple of weeks ago and now the authorities are getting involved. Finally. It is the west so you must understand that rancher's rule! Their animals can destroy your entire property and that will be your fault for not fencing them out. Ranchers have no obligation to keep them in and can shoot your pet if it molests their property in any way. Sadly this brute just got his jollies killing dogs, they've never been accused of causing trouble and he has no herd.
This is not just in Mimbres either. My guy worked at a local vets for several years and there were more than a few instances of dogs being shot for simply walking onto someone's property. People have been know to set out bowls of anti-freeze for feral cats too. Being an animal lover this kids of shi* makes me sick.
This harsh way of the west is still alive and well. Things are not perfect here. People passing through or who haven't lived here very long haven't been exposed to this side of things. Don't want to offend or rain on anyone's parade but you should know what you're getting into when you move to the rural west.
This can happen anywhere. Saw it in Maine. In fact, I told neighbors there, one time if I found their dog inside my horse pasture again, the dog would be dispatched over the Rainbow Bridge via Mr. Winchester. And, I was within my legal rights, as said dog was harrassing my livestock.
For someone to just get their jollies kiilling animals is pathetic and sick, but its not a problem just found in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico