Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:52 AM

486 posts, read 844,372 times

Advertisements

I have Sprint/Nextel and I haven't had any problems since I moved here to Clovis last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 AM

74 posts, read 199,921 times
Default Thanks everyone

I am a worrier by nature and tend to plan waaaay ahead for things. It seems to make things easier though once we get to our destination. It will all work out.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 AM

10 posts, read 34,657 times
Default Cell Phone & House

I was not too happy when I learned that Verizon does not cover here. When I moved here, Verizon used "extended network" to provide me connectivity and it was very good coverage. I suspect they used plateau network, which is a local provider and has good coverage. I did change to sprint for another reason and its coverage is quite poor. Now, Alltel has been bought by Verizon (I heard) and they have good coverage. I have not tried it myself though. Sprint is manageable. Alltel may be better.
I hope I am not spamming if I mention here that I will be selling my house in coming months. I need to move out for family reason. 30 year mortgage could be 1100 or so range, I guess, with current low rates.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 34,657 times
Default Base Housing

Base is in the process of demolishing old houses due to asbestos problem and building new ones. Chances are we will have episodic shortage of housing in Clovis. Housing industry in Clovis is controlled by oligopoly builders. I did not find good value with new houses as they try to keep shortage and market remains tight all the time. Only one builder builds good houses and he sells it expensive. Most of his housing is upper scale (300+) anyway. I was so turned off by the barn like style of the other one that I decided to buy an old house in a better neighborhood. Portales is significantly smaller and perhaps duller and less expensive than Clovis.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

153 posts, read 541,853 times
Portales is duller except that there is a university in town (:
Not THAT dull!

Combs Properties is churning out brick homes in Portales but not fast enough. No mafia here. There are about 60 homes worth buying out of the 100 on the market in Portales, and at some really good and negotiable prices (only half the owners have a mortgage). Worthwhile means livable floor plan with a few updates, maybe a few mechanical improvements needed, and have it inspected and subtract the repairs from the offer. Most are at least 40 years old so inspections are key.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM

74 posts, read 199,921 times
Default Att?

Looking for ATT cell users to give feedback about coverage.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM

153 posts, read 541,853 times
There are a few trailers in Portales, but not any huge parks. Most of the nicer looking neighborhoods on the south side, southeast or southwest (Oakwood, Mesa, Yucca, State Streets, Letter Streets from 1100-1800 South, Western Skies and some older 1960s homes in between 18th and 21st Streets) and out in the boonies all around Portales. If you check out the boonies, just do not get too close to a dairy and you can find a good deal.

The "near" north side of Portales and the apartment and student ghetto area just east of ENMU are a bit run down - not dangerous- just run down. There are some great deals in North Portales and less great deals near ENMU. Most of what is for rent in these areas is not that nice. You can also check anything that is for sale and see if the owner will rent it.

Ther Portales Country Club area is supposed to be under construction in a few months.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,591 times
I am from New Mexico, grew up around Clovis. If you like nightlife and things to do, stay away from Clovis. So for anyone asking if naysayers on this post have lived in Clovis, I grew up in that hole in the road which is so devoid of opportunity. But if you like horses, the outdoors, flatlands with cowpies, go to Clovis. If you are a military person wanting a quiet place to raise kids, then maybe this jail is for you, though the locals like to gouge the military people with horrible housing prices shocking for this nowhere place. But if you want a lot of opportunity, a lot of things to do, and if you are looking for mountains for get it. There is a hilarious video on utube put together by some Cannon air Force men who couldn't wait to leave this boredom of no return. But if you want to raise kids in a quiet place away from city gangs, maybe Clovis is for you.. I and others glad to escape Clovis will gladly send you a sympathy card when you relocate.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,116,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscp1 View Post
I am from New Mexico, grew up around Clovis. If you like nightlife and things to do, stay away from Clovis. So for anyone asking if naysayers on this post have lived in Clovis, I grew up in that hole in the road which is so devoid of opportunity. But if you like horses, the outdoors, flatlands with cowpies, go to Clovis. If you are a military person wanting a quiet place to raise kids, then maybe this jail is for you, though the locals like to gouge the military people with horrible housing prices shocking for this nowhere place. But if you want a lot of opportunity, a lot of things to do, and if you are looking for mountains for get it. There is a hilarious video on utube put together by some Cannon air Force men who couldn't wait to leave this boredom of no return. But if you want to raise kids in a quiet place away from city gangs, maybe Clovis is for you.. I and others glad to escape Clovis will gladly send you a sympathy card when you relocate.
I'm guessing it's probably an age/culture thing when it comes to liking this area.
Retirees and families with kids will always enjoy it for the plainness and simplicity.
You've got your stores, you've got your parks, and there's housing.
Basic amenities.

But if you're like me and don't fit either of those two brackets, then move on when you're time is up over here.
Don't know if it's just me, or the SAD kicking in, but it's down-in-the-dumps mood-wise for me more than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico